WOW Factor Spreadsheets

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Eddie, thanks for the defense...

TechCop said:
...for defending Vicki. It is quite obvious she is capable of handling her own defense.
...Eddie

...I appreciate it, and would be happy to have you defend me anytime! (But I truly thought the “stalking” was more fun… :eek: :D :D :yes

Thanks, Vicki

Gutter, this is a rant...but not directed to you!

gutter said:
There is no question that Vurbano has strong opinions but his end result is correct and many subscribers who put PQ first recognize it .
Gutter, I agree that Verbano probably has an excellent point about the MBPS or those other issues (don't understand them well enough yet to know), but my objection is that those are not issues I could utilize to try to resolve the mysteries and problems I think I clearly stated at the beginning of this thread:

Vicki said:
:eek: If you've seen this thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=23191 and are interested (emphasis added now, not originally) in the current status of my findings, the bottom line is that I still have that WOW factor on most channels, and am continuing to monitor daily to try to nail down where it came from! :) :D :yes

Initially I thought it was because of three factors in the system status coming together at the same time:

1. EMM Provider changing to 159
2. Authorization Status changed to MP from SWO, and
3. SNR numbers going from double digits to 0.00

After reviewing the info for a few days now, I am leaning towards just #3 because that is the only item that has remained constant since the WOW factor began for me. Numbers 2 & 3 have gone back and forth, and sometimes the WOW factor is still there and sometimes it’s not. But when I had high numbers for SNR (prior to Thursday Noon), I never had the WOW factor. :no

...{Snip}...

I’d appreciate any comments or suggestions anyone may have about anything else to consider to try to find the common threads (if there are any) in what settings and factors equal that WOW factor--short of a new STB—(and taking into account the different sources of what’s being broadcast.) ;)

This PQ analysis started as just an investigation to help me figure out which channels I was getting and what their quality was from my existing Stealth antenna. I plan to continue to monitor these things going forward for a few days, because I may still need an upgraded antenna, but I’m no longer convinced that is necessary at this point, and am considering putting my appointment for Monday on hold. :eek:

Needless to say, if I compile enough info that it convinces me I can see the piece labeled EUREKA! in this puzzle, I’ll throw it out here for target practice! :D :D
Vicki

His first response to me was:
vurbano said:
You need to watch 1080i CBS primetime at 19 mbps or HDnet on D* or E* to see what the WOW factor is first before you think Voom has it.
Well, he’s probably right! But I don’t have a way to do that, and what I’m seeing is amazing to me, but I tried to respond politely:
Vicki said:
Perhaps, but I'm still a happy camper!!! :D Sorry! :no
Vicki
He offered no suggestions or imparted any of his vast knowledge to address my stated observations of what I do have access to—simply implied—NO--actually SAID, that I wouldn’t know a WOW factor if it bit me! :mad:

On the other hand...Ilya, Jerry, and others have offered suggestions, information, and explanations. Consequently, parts of what I first thought might be contributing factors I have now been able to eliminate (EMM and Authorization Status). Even when my experience (or perceived experience) ran counter to their advice or comments (i.e. the SNR factor from Jerry and Ilya), I tried their suggestions (short of unplugging that main box!) and learned from their comments and explanations.

gutter said:
IMHO this is a forum for debate; Not to shut off criticism. According to Sean, the powers at VOOM do monitor this forum and do respond. We all want VOOM to be successful. And getting constructive criticism is one of them.

Again, I don't agree with Verbano on every point either, especially his preference for 1080I over 720P but that's another story. But I sure like the way he puts a point across and generates discussion. I can learn as well as share.
Gutter, yes, I agree he usually generates discussions, and I’m certainly not trying to shut off criticisms—in fact I have some of my own!

But starting a legitimate thread for that discussion would serve him (and all of us) much better than being condescending and sarcastic to those whose tastes are not yet as discriminating as his, and who don’t share his knowledge and experience—which I do not doubt or disparage. In fact one thread he started warning about being sure your antennas were grounded triggered (among other things) my first call for service after getting an El Jerko installer on 6/1…and I was very grateful of the info…part of that post read:
vurbano said:
PSB,
I wish these results were broken down by state, we might see some real patterns to the problem.
(emphasis added by me, not him)…and I am just trying to do the same thing he was wishing to have the ability to do in that thread…looking for patterns to advance my understanding and hopefully find the source of problem(s).

There was no need for ridicule or sarcasm. If he has advice or suggestions for my problems or observations—short of things I can’t access or change myself—I’m more than willing to listen…but if he only wants to rant, I’d prefer he ignore me and start his own threads.

Like you (and probably most of us), I want VOOM to improve and succeed. I also want to learn as well as share (if I have anything constructive to share).

His replies in this thread and some others I’ve seen neither addressed the issues described, nor furthered the author’s knowledge of what to do to isolate the causes or contributing factors, IMHO.

I was just able to catch a few minutes of CSI:Miami (as Verbano suggested would be a comparison). I'm not familiar with the series, but I did see pores on the guy's face. But then it wasn't at 19BPMS, so I still have nothing to compare to Verbano’s ideals...but I can tell you this...I also caught one frame where the blonde was sidelighted, and I could see that she had a very faint, very blonde, nearly imperceptible mustache! Would that fit Verbano's definition of WOW?

I don't know, but I’ll just keep trying to figure this all out, and perhaps some day I can jump into a thread Verbano starts and actually offer something either supportive or constructive!

If I ever feel in a position to put anything out in a "this is the gospel" attitude, as I said in my original post...I’ll put it out there for target practice, and I’ll take any potshot anyone wants to send…without taking offense. I’ll either defend my position or apologize for my error, but I won’t ridicule the author, make sarcastic comments, or speak in a condescending tone, in any case. But that’s just me… :)

Now, I shall go and sin...I mean...rant no more on this subject! For which, I’m sure, we will all be grateful! :D

Vicki

Vicki...

once in a while.
I think you have been constructive and also informative. I think that debate is healthy and I personally don't mind a sarcastic comment once-in-awhile. I have had a few aimed and me and I just laugh. Once you have seen a few of his posts, you get to know that most of it is tongue in cheek.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts