Good News And Bad News...wow!!! (All Coming from CSR. Take it as you will)

Neutron said:
Nothing can do 100 hour HD capacity seeing as how hard drives aren't large enough yet. Maybe he meant 100 hour SD capacity.

A 250GB + 300GB HD does 70hours of HD (mine does), so with 400GB drives it's not that outlandish.

ChetK said:
Darrell, sorry man, but I'm not going to complain about HD PQ anymore. I'm pretty sure it's not doing any good and the ignorant ones just don't care and are getting tired of hearing us complain.
Chet, I totally agree with the fact that many are tired of hearing people complain about the PQ. Although, as one of those people who is getting tired, I don't appreciate being called ignorant. Just because I have never had D* or E* to compare Voom to doesn't make me "ignorant". I think every providers PQ can be improved and everyone agrees with it. You just need to complain to Voom and not the people of this forum. You see how far it has gotten everyone this far... nowhere. Complaining about PQ 4 months ago when I first joined, and still complaining now.
I do appreciate what you and others are trying to do, and I want a better picture quality too. Maybe instead of continually complaining about it to "ignorant" ears on this forum, you or others can come up with a constructive way to communicate this to Voom and see if it can be resolved some other way. :) Maybe come up with an email or something that people can send to Voom that lists in detail all the issues.

Who knows what additional compression artifacts/anomalies will be introduced with the newer codecs. The idea in turning up the PQ by leaving bandwidth consistent is an unlikely business model (a good customer model, but an unlikely business model).

That said, and with a bigger screen than Darrel's (but not by much), you can't break the laws of physics related to available bandwidth. Voom is b/w starved (and calls for more SD nonsense doesn't help if it's focus is HD). You'll find a bigger improvemnent in PQ through adding the orbital slots vs hoping and praying better codecs to solve the problem where the void will be filled with more content vs more PQ.

Oh, even with the bigger screen I like Voom very much on a best industry projector calibrator. Subjective evaluations aside (e.g., my view that the HDtivo has an exceedingly soft picture and Voom DVI has poor color gradients), having the content available to me is more important than not having slightly better PQ at all.

With a 30" CRT, I will probably never see some of the PQ problems that many here have noticed. I can be patient with Voom for another year while all of the proposed changes are put into place, such as new transponders, codecs, DVR (oh please), etc. I hope that subscribers do not bail out on them while going through what will probably be a rocky road as they implement all these changes. There are bound to be problems with changing & pointing antennas and more firmware updates. One the bright side, my service has only improved since I subscribed.

Neutron said:
Nothing can do 100 hour HD capacity seeing as how hard drives aren't large enough yet. Maybe he meant 100 hour SD capacity.

As some pointed out, H.264 would fit a lot more data onto the hard disk. It'll also get us a lot more channels. Lower data rate H.264 still provides a better picture vs MPEG2. Good enough that there's H.264 DVD players wouldn't need a higher capacity disc to switch over to HD.

That's not going to help on space when recording OTA locals in HD, though.

H.264 is an industry standard, I hope they go with that over WM9.

Well the NFL thing is wrong. As DirecTV has exclusive rights to broadcast NFL games hence the Sunday Ticket. The CSR may have been referring to the NFL network's game of the week in HD where they pick one game and chop it down to an hour and broadcast it in HD.

No, the NFL network has stated on their website that they will provide a HD feed of their preseason games. Just a reminder that preseason hasn't started yet, that could be why 311 isn't available at this time.

FunkyBoss said:
Maybe instead of continually complaining about it to "ignorant" ears on this forum, you or others can come up with a constructive way to communicate this to Voom and see if it can be resolved some other way. :) Maybe come up with an email or something that people can send to Voom that lists in detail all the issues.

I think you owe ChetK a big apology. He did communicate directly to Wilt last week and positively give a suggestion that they increase the bandwith for the Tyson V Williams fight. From the reviews on this forum including ChetK, they seem to have taken his suggestion.

For me I hope ChetK and others (including myself) will continue to push for PQ. I don't have D* or E* but I do have OTA thru another STB and the difference is drastic in PQ. VOOM is not bad, certainly better than SD anywhere but not as good as it could be. It is the "Could Be" that VOOM needs to strive for. I Like others hope the WM9 and or MPEG4 makes a difference but I just hope they don't just keep adding channels at the expense of PQ.

I have been in marketing for nearly 30 years. To be successful, you not only have to be what you say you are, you have to be better than the competition .

gutter said:
I think you owe ChetK a big apology. He did communicate directly to Wilt last week and positively give a suggestion that they increase the bandwith for the Tyson V Williams fight. From the reviews on this forum including ChetK, they seem to have taken his suggestion.

For me I hope ChetK and others (including myself) will continue to push for PQ. I don't have D* or E* but I do have OTA thru another STB and the difference is drastic in PQ. VOOM is not bad, certainly better than SD anywhere but not as good as it could be. It is the "Could Be" that VOOM needs to strive for. I Like others hope the WM9 and or MPEG4 makes a difference but I just hope they don't just keep adding channels at the expense of PQ.

I have been in marketing for nearly 30 years. To be successful, you not only have to be what you say you are, you have to be better than the competition .

I for one- got Voom for all they promised and it just doesn't come through. Go look at the Voom web site and see what they say. It's false advertising.

If most of us are here for HD, great HD where is it? Why is it so awful to ask for/demand it? Bring on WM9.

Are we just lemmings?

Seawaves said:
I for one- got Voom for all they promised and it just doesn't come through. Go look at the Voom web site and see what they say. It's false advertising.

If most of us are here for HD, great HD where is it? Why is it so awful to ask for/demand it? Bring on WM9.

Are we just lemmings?

You are being unrealistic. D* and Dish and Cable all advertise crisppy Digital Tv as well in SD channels and neithe deliver. So what?

minorthr said:
Well the NFL thing is wrong. As DirecTV has exclusive rights to broadcast NFL games hence the Sunday Ticket. The CSR may have been referring to the NFL network's game of the week in HD where they pick one game and chop it down to an hour and broadcast it in HD.

DirecTV may have exclusive access to live feeds, but note that the CSR claimed delayed feed of the game later in the week.

r.jones1116 said:
No, the NFL network has stated on their website that they will provide a HD feed of their preseason games. Just a reminder that preseason hasn't started yet, that could be why 311 isn't available at this time.

Could you give me a link, I have been all over the Nflnetwork website and can not find this.

Bad news 1st, a CSR tells me a lot of things when I ask whats coming or new , Now the GOOD NEWS I just save a lot of money on my car insurance.

gutter said:

Ummmm, I think you need to re-read my post because I was agreeing with what he had to say. So why would I apologize for that?

Sean Mota said:
You are being unrealistic. D* and Dish and Cable all advertise crisppy Digital Tv as well in SD channels and neithe deliver. So what?

1) that's (partly) why I'm not with d* e* or cable, I'm with v*

2) what's the typical TV set size and capability of a d* e* cable sub? SD and 25-32"? for V*? HD and 42-50"?

3) how many SD channels does V* carry compared to the others?

sorry, am I being unrealistic to point out the reality of the situation?

It would be fine if Chet and the other 9.16 footer would press for PQ to the Voom corporation. It's irritating and downright stupid to press me for it.

Voom has better PQ via component on SD than DirecTV on a 65" TV at my house. By far. It has about 10 times more HD channels than DirecTV. I like HDTV. That's why I bought Voom.

Now that I have Voom, I still like HDTV.

If people don't like Voom HDTV, they should probably quit watching it, and they should DEFINITELY quit blubbering about day in and day out in a forum where the exchangle of information is valuable. Chet and 9-foot's high school sophomore bitching and calling everyone ignorant is not valuable.

Thanks for your attention; have a good day.

As far as my ignorant comment, I'd just like to explain what I mean.

By no means was it intended as an insult. I realize that some may take it that way. However, you shouldn't. I'm ignorant about a lot of things and if someone pointed it out, I'd tell them that they are correct (and then I'd probably go learn a thing or two about it so that I wouldn't be ignorant anymore.)

It's okay to be ignorant sometimes. Ignorant, in my mind, does not mean that you're stupid. Stupid means that someone has taught you a fact and you chose to forget it or not believe it. Ignorant means that you have never been taught any different or that you're not self educated. Like I said, sometimes, it's okay to be ignorant about something. I choose to be ignorant about the inner workings of a funeral home. Because, it doesn't apply to me, nor is it important to me. Could I go learn about the inner workings of funeral homes? Sure! Now, if I was told about the inner workings of funeral homes and I didn't understand it, then I would be considered stupid about the inner workings of funeral homes.

So, by no means am I trying to offend anyone and I'm sorry if you took it that way.