Unofficially: More News Coming this week

Speculation on possible announcements comming this week...

IMO, these are the possibilities (ordered from most to least likely):

(1) Official statement about VOOM going out-of-business and telling us when the service is going dark.

(2) Rainbow Media launching new HD channels using VOOM content (see this)

(3) Both (1) and (2)

(4) A desperate attempt to save VOOM (very unlikey but not impossible, check this)

Note to the wise, unplug the rg6 to your recievers on the evening of 1/31/05. Im sure everyone will anyway. Infact if you have a room that doesnt get much use Id unplug it now. I have.

Any information that comes from the parties involved is welcome.

These are my activities/plans while we wait.

I have both VOOM and Dish right now (Dish for four years and VOOM for three months). I'd been observing that Dish hasn't added any new HD content in over a year and they did not have a HD DVR that one could lease -- so I thought I had nothing to loose by trying VOOM. VOOM is just terrific. I'd keep Dish until the VOOM HD-DVR released.

I called Dish yesterday to ask what's new in HD content and equipment. They offered the 811 for lease (one tuner and no DVR) and the 921 at $550 purchase (it's also $489 at Costco). Their new DVR was projected to be available in March at $749 purchase with no current plans to offer a lease. They said they "might" have HD network feeds and locals in the next six months, but nothing for sure. Right now they just have CBS -- and they added that a long time ago. As far as the VOOM sat purchase, the Dish rep was aware of it but had not been given anything much to tell customers. I advised them that unless they soon beefed up their HD offerings and offered a leasable HD-DVR that I will likely cancel the service.

So I then called Charter Cable. They offer HD versions of NBC, ABC and FOX in my area with CBS to come "shortly". Negotiations are under way for UPN and WB. They offer a multiple tuner HD-DVR that allows recording of two shows while watching a third (hard drive is only 120 MB, tho). I signed up for their HD-DVR with HD content and normal regular content service for $49 per month with no commitment. Plus, they are throwing in the premium channels for free for three months. If the HD-DVR and PQ lives up to its billing, I'll cut my Dish service to the bare minimum ($5 per month "hibernation" mode) until I see what finally happens to the VOOM and Dish marriage.

Now I can watch the Super Bowl, Simpsons, ER and Dangerous Housewives in HD and still enjoy the spectacular VOOM service until this all shakes out. If Dish picks up the VOOM Originals and other HD content and offers a leasable HD-DVR of some sort (maybe VOOM's) I'll stick with the married company. If not, I'll stick with Charter.

I like rooting for underdogs, so I'd love to see VOOM survive at a minimum as a HD content provider to carriers. I'd like to see senior Dolan pull a clever move on his treacherous son and somehow save VOOM (there is a special place in hell for sons who betray their fathers).

David,
How does that $5 hibernation deal work with dish? What will this do for me as opposed to just cancelling the service? Do you have to send back all of their equipment if it is leased?

If you're leasing dish equipment you must keep a minimum of AT60 at all times or send it back. Also if you have an 811 or soon to be 942, you must keep the hd pack at all times as well...

Hoopnoop said:
Vurbano...

Why unplug the cable? What demonic signal might be sent?
One that deactivates the reciever preventing OTA reception. Voom isnt funded past this month remember?

jbcheshire said:
David,
How does that $5 hibernation deal work with dish? What will this do for me as opposed to just cancelling the service? Do you have to send back all of their equipment if it is leased?
Basically it's a $5 service fee for keeping your account in the system. If you don't pay it, you have to pay a reconnect charge ($25 I believe)

jbcheshire said:
How does that $5 hibernation deal work with dish? What will this do for me as opposed to just cancelling the service?

Not David here...but I just did this after switching to VOOM.

It saves you from the $25 reconnect fee if you come crawling back to DISH (which I might have to do if VOOM=DOOM). If you don't come out of hibernation within six months of your own accord, your programming resumes automatically to your previous level of service and billing. Since it only terminates programming, I suspect you equipment lease is still due?

Rob.

In an effort to put this thread back on track . .

On the AVS Forum, I read that Charlie Ergen is going to have something to say tomorrow Wednesday on his regular "What's new at Dish" program about the Rainbow equipment acquisition.

Sean, this fits in with your information in many ways, we'll have to see.

Stepping up on soapbox:

I have to admit a certain amount of disappointment that people can't stick to thread topics on this forum - Everyone has the ability to start a new thread, so DO so, it would be SO refreshing to see posts in a thread that actually had something to do with the topic!!!

- stepping down off soapbox.

He's probably just gonna say "we bought the satellite, and not anything we already know. But come by tomorrow here at noon et if you can for the realtime scoop,

GEBrown said:
Stepping up on soapbox:

I have to admit a certain amount of disappointment that people can't stick to thread topics on this forum - Everyone has the ability to start a new thread, so DO so, it would be SO refreshing to see posts in a thread that actually had something to do with the topic!!!

- stepping down off soapbox.
Perhaps next time you want to step up on a soapbox, you should start a new thread to do so ;) , 'cuz this was a bit off topic! :D :p

cdru said:
Basically it's a $5 service fee for keeping your account in the system. If you don't pay it, you have to pay a reconnect charge ($25 I believe)

That all depends on the Cancellation CSR you get. When I called to Cancel my Dish network last month they gave me DEC for free to Compare the service (There is no comparison IMHO- E* menu's and event timers are better but everything else suxxorz). At the end of the month when I called to cancel The Cancellation CSR said that since I was a loyal DishNet cust for 2 years she would put a note in my account to waive any reconnection fees and that since I fulfilled the contract terms I own my Dish and Boxes.

Now If they shutdown Voom but the OTA portion on the Box still works (I will take the advice about shutting the STBs off on the 31st) I can save myself 10 bucks in the local programming fees and keep some measure of HDTV.

Hey, vurbano, can you please point us to confirmation of this statement:

"Voom isnt funded past this month remember?"

Thanks.

Still watching HDTV under foggy Seattle skies, Gill

SeattleVoomer1, I'm sure that Vurbano or others who are much more adept at keeping track of all this will come back to you with direct links, which I can't do without a lot of effort...but I have read in several news releases from what I think are reliable sources that funding was only through 1/31/05.

That is why I've decided that if there is still a signal on 2/1/05, I'm going to have another go at getting my locals with VOOM, and if I can, I'm here to the end...whenever that is ... hopefully long after I'm dead and gone!

If I don't see links for your question by tomorrow, I'll try to come with them for you, but I'm pretty sure that's a fact, not a rumor, and that someone else more adept than I will come through for you.