Good News on More HD Content

Spike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Suburbs of Milwaukee
I realize that this report is coming to you from my hand, which is by no means official. But I did want to report to you what I was told, when I signed up for the VOOM service this afternoon (Feb. 19, 2005).

The man who set up my service installation date reported that by March 1, 2005 VOOM will be adding a total of 5 new HD channels. The agent reported that he did not have any information as to which new HD channels would be included among the five. I then asked him if these 5 new HD channels were going to be made available to both the VOOM and VA-VA-VOOM services. He said Yes, and at no extra charge.

Now I do realize that my report to you is not the official word. I also realize that anything can happen between now and the end of the month to thwart VOOM's intention to add these channels. But I felt that this was such great news that it needed to be shared.

I am thrilled to be on board with VOOM!

I just spoke to a Voom CSR 2 days ago and was also told the same date of March 1 for new channels. The guy also said late April for DVR, but he mentioned that the CSR's don't really have details on any of these, so who knows if the dates are true or not (especially for DVR).

Even if it's true, which HD channels will be available as of 3/1/05?

HDnet and HDnet Movies..... has been the mystery channels? Cuban/Dolan war.

INHD1 & 2..... ONLY on Cable

ESPN2HD... Waste of a channel...IMHO.

WEALTHTVHD...not very appealing...IMHO.

What else is out there (except for locals available to a few)?

You know, I really don't think these 5 channels are going to be network channels. Though if they were the networks, I would be thrilled. Anyway....
Here is why I believe those channels will be something different.

The channels are going to be on VOOM and VA-VA VOOM at "no extra charge." In my way of thinking, if they were going to be network stations, VOOM would charge more to subscribe to them as the other satellite service providers do. Right?

my question is 'where'? Rainbow-2/Amc-6? If so, how will we able to get those channels?

I second Sean's question....what is available? I hope its INHD 1 and 2 but highly doubt it. I guess we will find out soon enough. Espn 2 is a waste right now.

I would also wonder how we would get additional channels with R-1 supposedly at capacity. Everything I've seen indicates that we can't receive from both R-1 and R-2 without a new elliptical dish.

Will Voom compress current channels to squeeze these in? I hope not.

Can Voom start using MPEG4 without an installer visit? Are the receivers able to use MPEG4 with a software update? Or do they need a card or some other hardware installed?

jame_g said:
I would also wonder how we would get additional channels with R-1 supposedly at capacity. Everything I've seen indicates that we can't receive from both R-1 and R-2 without a new elliptical dish.

Will Voom compress current channels to squeeze these in? I hope not.

Can Voom start using MPEG4 without an installer visit? Are the receivers able to use MPEG4 with a software update? Or do they need a card or some other hardware installed?

For what is worth... Read here...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=36642&page=3&pp=15

it partially answers where the extra bandwith is coming.

Since we're speculating on new VOOM channels could they be 5 additional Voom Original channels? Ruling out a deal with Cuban or TWC only thing left I can think of is CBS,ABC,NBC,FOX & PBS. (that would be nice but then they'd have to do East & West wouldn't they?) Hope it's not the Chess channel.

I talked to couple of Voom CSR last week and they told me on March 1 there will be 72 HD channels. One CSR told thet 2 of these channels will be Fox News and CNN. He said Voom is working out the details with these two stations. We just have to wait ans see.

Yes, that is a good summary plus they are MPEG-4 upgradable. If they are planning on March 2005 to do it. We should see the roll out of the new harmonic compression soon. Every current HD or SD channel will have to be "converted" like they did with the NDS security for every channel.

P.S. All the receivers in the field are MPEG-4 upgradeable. They will only need the module and some sort of sofware upgrade. I do not see the MPEG-4 done right now. They are not completely at the stage as far as I know.

I compiled a list for my own curiosity a few days ago. From looking at what's on all the satellites these are the only HDTV channels I could find that exist for VOOM to use. Those with a **** aren't on VOOM.

HBO HD-East
HBO HD-West
Cinemax HD-East
Cinemax HD-West
Starz! HD-East
Starz! HD-West
Encore HD-East
Encore HD-West
Showtime HD
TMC HD
NFL Network HD****
ESPN HD
TNT HD
Discovery HD
Universal HD
HD Net****
HD Net Movies****
Spice HD****
Playboy Hot HD
Wealth TV****

Interesting there are only 5 channels currently available that VOOM doesn't carry. I couldn't find ESPN2 HD on any satellite.

BTW INHD will never be available as it isn't delivered via satellite, the FCC has made it clear that programming not uplinked to a satellite doesn't have to be made available to other companies since a terresterial cable company is a closed system. This is why INHD is only on cable and will always be.

Tvlman said:
Since we're speculating on new VOOM channels could they be 5 additional Voom Original channels? Ruling out a deal with Cuban or TWC only thing left I can think of is CBS,ABC,NBC,FOX & PBS. (that would be nice but then they'd have to do East & West wouldn't they?) Hope it's not the Chess channel.

If it's CBS,ABC,NBC,FOX & PBS then it could be the national feeds with signoffs . An example is channel 231 NBC feed if are receiving it already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)