OTA Scanning Questions

Lucky

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
New York
With the OTA if you have your channels mapped that are below the 85 signal strength and they are coming in, could you lose them if you do a channel scan ? In other words does the scanner only add to the local mapping or will it delete channels that are already there that aren't at full signal strength ?

I have one channel that plays fine for me, but is less than 85. This channel is mapped by VOOM themselves. I don't want to do a scan and lose the channel, because the scanner recognizes it at less than 85.

Short question is can you lose existing mapped channels by doing a scan ?

Any help would be appreciated.

I looked there and it only talks about a channel needing an 85 signal strength, but it doesn't talk about channels you already had mapped by VOOM. I want to know if you can do a scan and actually lose channels.

My CBS was less than 85 this morning when i scanned. its mapped by voom, i did not loose it even though i could not view it cause the signal strength was too low as is always the case during and after a rain storm. It sucks but I can't get on the roof to adjust the antenna to see it that is the problem.

Sean Mota said:
Here's more information about the Scanning function:

1 - "found and added" OTA channel are cumulative. So this means that it will not delete your mapping. Now, here is the deal with version 6.0. There's a bug in it that does not allow it to keep the channels found. As I told you before this version 6.0 is beta. A solution has been found already. The new version will not be released to the boxes that have 6.0 or 5.68 until is fully tested.

2 - If you lose power or unplug the stb, would you lose your mapping? No.
How about this...from the 18th post in that thread.

Lucky said:
With the OTA if you have your channels mapped that are below the 85 signal strength and they are coming in, could you lose them if you do a channel scan ? In other words does the scanner only add to the local mapping or will it delete channels that are already there that aren't at full signal strength ?

I have one channel that plays fine for me, but is less than 85. This channel is mapped by VOOM themselves. I don't want to do a scan and lose the channel, because the scanner recognizes it at less than 85.

Short question is can you lose existing mapped channels by doing a scan ?

Any help would be appreciated.

The OTA Scanning Function only adds to the mapping as long as you have version 6.10. In version 6.0 this was a problem. Also, the 85 you see in the RF screen does not mean 85 in OTA signal quality. These are two different scales. As long as you can receive the signal without drop outs (constant) and there is PSIP data in the stream the OTA scanning will pick it up. If there is no PSIP data, the OTA scanning will not pick up the channel.

Sean,

I got the update last night and I did an OTA Scan.....it found a channel that I have no idea what it is.....On the program guide it says "no info" but every other channel has program data.

The channel is KQOK-DT....

I have no idea where it is (I'm assuming Oklahoma City)....Does the PSIP add program guide data??? Or am I totally in left field?? :) I've been known to be there quite a bit!!!!

Also, I see there is a way to hide the local channels, but is there a way to hide the regular channels that I will never watch??

Thanks for all the good info.

Scott
Still happily vooming in Oklahoma

upconductor said:
Sean,

I got the update last night and I did an OTA Scan.....it found a channel that I have no idea what it is.....On the program guide it says "no info" but every other channel has program data.

The channel is KQOK-DT....

I have no idea where it is (I'm assuming Oklahoma City)....Does the PSIP add program guide data??? Or am I totally in left field?? :) I've been known to be there quite a bit!!!!

Also, I see there is a way to hide the local channels, but is there a way to hide the regular channels that I will never watch??

Thanks for all the good info.

Scott
Still happily vooming in Oklahoma

PSIP does not add program guide data. See my answer in this post to what to do if you want the PG information.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=157288&postcount=94

WHAT?!?!?!?! The scan feature won't pick up OTA channels unless there's PSIP data?!?!?!?! You've got to be f???ing kidding me! I'll be in the same frickin boat I was in before. Few of the stations here in Wisconsin reliably send PSIP data. That SHOULD NOT be required! What were they thinking!!!! My Sammy boxes will pick up channels just fine with or without PSIP data. CRIPES!!!

Westbender said:
WHAT?!?!?!?! The scan feature won't pick up OTA channels unless there's PSIP data?!?!?!?! You've got to be f???ing kidding me! I'll be in the same frickin boat I was in before. Few of the stations here in Wisconsin reliably send PSIP data. That SHOULD NOT be required! What were they thinking!!!! My Sammy boxes will pick up channels just fine with or without PSIP data. CRIPES!!!

This is from the Motorola manual (available only the lab people): Also - In order for a channel to get saved in the map, PSIP must be available in the stream with at least the following three fields present: Channel Number, MPEG Service Number and Short Name.

I posted the above information on 7/14 under this thread: How does OTA Scanning works in new software?

There three things you can do:

1 - Speak to your station engineers and ask that the PSIP data (Channel Number, MPEG Service Number and Short Name) be passed to their stream.

or

2 - Request that your channels be mapped. If you haven't done so, send me an email to Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us with your full address and which channels are not mapped in your PG. This process will only be able to map channels within your DMA.

or

3 - There is work in progress right now to create a super DMA map that will provide mapping (without OTA Scanning software) to more than one DMA. This is in the works and it will not be done till October/November. (this of course implies waiting for this mapping to be created)

Sorry but those are the three options available right now.

I have the RadioShack Omnidirectional Amplified TV Antenna model 15-1634. It is on the same mast as the VOOM dish and connects through a diplexor to the VOOM Box. I am located less than 8 miles from all my local stations. When I scanned for locals this morning with the new software I got only one station. The others fall just below the 85 ‘lock-in’ signal. The antenna is mounted on the roof. There are plenty of big trees in the area. Any suggestions? Should I cut down those damn trees?

Hawkshaw said:
I have the RadioShack Omnidirectional Amplified TV Antenna model 15-1634. It is on the same mast as the VOOM dish and connects through a diplexor to the VOOM Box. I am located less than 8 miles from all my local stations. When I scanned for locals this morning with the new software I got only one station. The others fall just below the 85 ‘lock-in’ signal. The antenna is mounted on the roof. There are plenty of big trees in the area. Any suggestions? Should I cut down those damn trees?

Tough call. You can certainly do that but I do not know if it is going to help. I know it is an Omnidirectional antenna but maybe by re-aiming a little you could try to see if it locks in. You may want to try at different times in the day. I know because there is a station which is like yours (but my problem is distance) -sometimes I get a signal and sometimes I don't. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Ok, I obviously mis-understood. I'm pretty sure the local stations are sending the channel number, short name, etc. They just don't send any program info. For a minute there, when you mentioned PSIP data, I was thinking program info. Hopefully the scan will work for me then. I can get stations from two different markets with my Sammy's, that's why I need the scan to work on the Moto box. Voom's "mapping" mechanism can only add me to a single market if I'm not mistaken.

For all of you out there that can not get there local digital channels because of PSIP information problems here is the best way to solve the problem.
If you have a directtv/dish network/or over the air receiver then buy a two way splitter had hookup both receivers to your antenna and this will solve your problem untill voom gets the super dma finished.I have my toshiba dst3000 sat receiver and the voom receiver hooked up and it works with no problem.If you decide to do this and do not know how then send me a PM and I will be glad to help.................DIGITAL~DAN

DIGITAL~DAN said:
For all of you out there that can not get there local digital channels because of PSIP information problems...
Is anyone having this problem? A mean, are there any digital stations that don't send those three fields (Channel Number, MPEG Service Number and Short Name)?

Ooops! By the time I replied, the DIGITAL~DAN's message is gone...
Ok, I will delete my message too ... in 30 seconds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)