snow when changing channels?

brn81

Member
Mar 27, 2004
5
0
I've had Voom for about a month now and things are going pretty well. My only complaint is that there's about 3-4 seconds (sometimes more) of "white snow" static before the picture comes in whenever I change the channels. The audio usually comes in before the static leaves. I've tried a few resets with no change. I've never had a satellite system before, only cable. Is this normal, or am I just seeing the effects of having a satellite instead of cable? I've been a lurker here for a while, great forum!!
 

slick1ru2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 29, 2004
626
21
The South
Happens to me too. It happens when changing channels to different resolutions. From what I understand, it is a software glitch that occured after the last upgrade (the only version I have had since I just joined). I've had Direct and Dish w/o the snow.
 

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,039
1,738
New York City
Whenever you change channel, there is 2-3 seconds or pixelation or snow. This will be fixed in the next software upgrade as I understand.
 

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
23,171
8,184
NE OH
Yes, it's a known issue in the current version. Just switch your STB to a fixed-resolution mode, like 1080i, and it won't be happening (press the red button behind the small door with Motorola logo several times until you see the top horisontal bar lit).
 

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
Ilya said:
Yes, it's a known issue in the current version. Just switch your STB to a fixed-resolution mode, like 1080i, and it won't be happening.
you mean after the upgrade it wont be an issue. I get it now on 1080i. But its the last thing I would complain about. If voom fixes it now fine, if they fix it 3 months from now thats fine with me too. If they never fix it, well who cares? I can live with it. Just keep giving me more hd channels..lmao
 

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
23,171
8,184
NE OH
vurbano,
I think we are talking about different things. Switch to Native mode (4 bars lit) and try switching between HD and SD channels (e.g. between 202 and 203). You will see the snow we are talking about. I think it is much different from the pixellation you are probably referring to.
 

slick1ru2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 29, 2004
626
21
The South
Ilya said:
vurbano,
I think we are talking about different things. Switch to Native mode (4 bars lit) and try switching between HD and SD channels (e.g. between 202 and 203). You will see the snow we are talking about. I think it is much different from the pixellation you are probably referring to.

And it happens about 50% of the time for me. And often, I only get audio and never get a picture. I have to use the channel up/down button and go between the channel I want and one above or below it several times before I get both audio and video.
 

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
23,171
8,184
NE OH
slick1ru2 said:
... And often, I only get audio and never get a picture. I have to use the channel up/down button...
And that's a different issue altogether. :)

Again, the specific issue that prompted this thread ("... 3-4 seconds (sometimes more) of "white snow" static before the picture comes in whenever I change the channels..." as described by brn81) happens 100% of the time when you switch from one resolution to another while watching over DVI: white screen with "snow" that stays on for a couple of seconds. The "snow" may look differently on different types of TV sets. It is caused by a temporary loss of synchronization. The problem is less prominent on Component outputs: Usually a black screen instead of the "White snow".

As I mentioned above, the workaround is to switch the STB to a fixed-resolution mode. This will prevent any resolution changes.
 

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
Ilya said:
vurbano,
I think we are talking about different things. Switch to Native mode (4 bars lit) and try switching between HD and SD channels (e.g. between 202 and 203). You will see the snow we are talking about. I think it is much different from the pixellation you are probably referring to.
Your right. I remember that now, just havent used the native mode in a long time. sorry
 

nnicko

SatelliteGuys Family
May 22, 2004
50
0
Interesting that all of you get blackout/snow when changing channels or resolution. I get both of them very frequently just watching any channel - i.e. no channel switching or resolution changing involved. On his third visit, the installer said he didn't know what the problem was and that he would send out another, more senior, tech. I'm awaiting his visit.
 

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,039
1,738
New York City
nnicko said:
Interesting that all of you get blackout/snow when changing channels or resolution. I get both of them very frequently just watching any channel - i.e. no channel switching or resolution changing involved. On his third visit, the installer said he didn't know what the problem was and that he would send out another, more senior, tech. I'm awaiting his visit.

You should not get the snow but the black out are there. In version 5.08 the snow was a problem but it was fixed in version 5.68. Which version do you have?
 

nnicko

SatelliteGuys Family
May 22, 2004
50
0
Sean Mota said:
You should not get the snow but the black out are there. In version 5.08 the snow was a problem but it was fixed in version 5.68. Which version do you have?

Version: NEP5.68
 

Seawaves

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 10, 2004
567
0
Los Angeles, CA
Ilya said:
And that's a different issue altogether. :)

Again, the specific issue that prompted this thread ("... 3-4 seconds (sometimes more) of "white snow" static before the picture comes in whenever I change the channels..." as described by brn81) happens 100% of the time when you switch from one resolution to another while watching over DVI: white screen with "snow" that stays on for a couple of seconds. The "snow" may look differently on different types of TV sets. It is caused by a temporary loss of synchronization. The problem is less prominent on Component outputs: Usually a black screen instead of the "White snow".

As I mentioned above, the workaround is to switch the STB to a fixed-resolution mode. This will prevent any resolution changes.

Hey,

I'm set to 1080 fixed and get both of these problems, the black screen and pixels a going crazy.

But at the end of the day I still love the HD.
 

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
23,171
8,184
NE OH
Seawaves said:
I'm set to 1080 fixed and get both of these problems, the black screen and pixels a going crazy.
I am not sure if "pixels going crazy" is the same as "snow" screen, but are you getting this 100% of the time when you switch from one resolution/channel to another? If not, then this is not the same problem!

Look, black screen and "snow" can be caused by any signal interruption. This is just how your TV set reacts to instantaneous signal interruption (or synchronization loss). Such signal interruption could be caused by many different things, including source and broadcast problems. One of such causes is the resolution change when switching from one channel to another in Native mode - that's what prompted this specific thread.
 

andrzej

Board Certified User
Supporting Founder
Feb 18, 2004
690
0
Boston subs
Ilya,
the snow thing doesn't happen to me. I use the native mode, component and plasma display. A black screen for a sec or two happens occasionally when switching from SD to HD or conversely. But, not always and only with some channel combinations.
 

Sonnie Parker

SatelliteGuys Family
Supporting Founder
Oct 1, 2003
87
0
I got the snow with native and DVI but changed to component and no longer get the snow with native.
 

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
23,171
8,184
NE OH
andrzej said:
Ilya,
the snow thing doesn't happen to me. I use the native mode, component and plasma display. A black screen for a sec or two happens occasionally when switching from SD to HD or conversely. But, not always and only with some channel combinations.
Yes, the "snow" effect seems to be specific to the DVI output. The same problem exists with the component output too, but instead of "snow" you get black screen (some TVs show blue screen instead). And it only occurs in Native mode when you switch from a channel with one resolution to a channel with another resolution. E.g. from HD to SD or from 1080i to 720p.

You can also see a similar effect if you simply switch the resolution by pressing the hidden red button. With component output you will only get black screen; over DVI the black screen is accompanied by "snow" ("static") screen.

Why is this important at all? Because this was not happening in the older software version (5.08). So, I believe this is a new bug, or maybe it's a side-effect of some new feature, like HDCP - who knows.
 

nnicko

SatelliteGuys Family
May 22, 2004
50
0
Sean Mota said:
Are you still getting "snow" with version 5.68? Do you have it set to 720p or 1080i?

I have it set to 480p so that I can use picture format options on my tv's remote.
 

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
23,171
8,184
NE OH
nnicko said:
I have it set to 480p so that I can use picture format options on my tv's remote.
Keep in mind that 480p is SD, not HD. You are not getting the best resolution in this mode.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Top