snow when changing channels?

Ilya said:
Keep in mind that 480p is SD, not HD. You are not getting the best resolution in this mode.

I understand that. As previously stated, I get 3-4 second blackouts and (usually much longer) "snowouts" several dozen times every day just watching any program on any channel (no channel switching or res changing involved).

nnicko said:
I understand that. As previously stated, I get 3-4 second blackouts and (usually much longer) "snowouts" several dozen times every day just watching any program on any channel (no channel switching or res changing involved).

I think you should put an order to get a new stb. I have mine connected to DVI a 1080i on one TV and DVI 720p at another TV and haven't had the "snow" effect but get the random "black screen" but not as much.

I agree, you should request another STB. This is certainly not normal, in version 5.68, anyway.

In the meantime, switching to component cables will give you some relief. You will most like continue getting blackouts, but at least you will stop getting "snow" screens.

Sean Mota said:
I think you should put an order to get a new stb. I have mine connected to DVI a 1080i on one TV and DVI 720p at another TV and haven't had the "snow" effect but get the random "black screen" but not as much.

I'm already on my THIRD box!!!(And 2nd DVI cable and 2nd whatchamawhoosy that goes on the front of the arm on the dish.) Maybe I need a larger dish? Maybe the dish isn't "peaked"? (My signal strength always reads 93 or higher.) No sense going back to component cables as I still have the same problem. Today I'll try 720p and 1080i again but I don't expect that's the problem. Also, dish is NOT being obstructed by trees, etc.. (Also, my dish and OTA are on separate cables so no degradation there.)
:confused:

P.S. When I said dozens of blackouts/snowouts per day, it would have been more accurate to say per PROGRAM.

I have the latest version .....but today just got my dvi to hdmi cable so im all digital...TO BAD I GET THE SNOW TOO....sometimes ill be watching something for a few seconds and get it at that point...its weird. Definetly when I change channels between resolutions...but not always..i notice it around 124-125-126.

who knows.....

Forecast: Scattered Snow

I have also been getting the snow screen at random intervals. More frequently on some channels than on others. Kids have been watching Cartoon Network for an hour with no problem. The other day on Cinemax I couldn't go for 5 minutes without the picture going to snow. Had to change channels and then go back to fix it. Driving me nuts! This ALWAYS occurs for a few seconds when changing resolution but lasts for only a few seconds. I can live with that. It is when it happens in the middle of a show that my frustration level goes up.

This did not happen using my component connections, only since I started using my DVI connection. I am on version 5.68 and have a Sony KV-36HS510 HDTV.

I guess there is an 6.10 update coming tonight or soon thereafter. Hoping it fixes the problem.

I haven't tried setting to a fixed resolution -- mostly leave the STB on the "4 Bar" mode. Maybe I'll set to 1080i and see how things go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts