Voom OTA antennae to TWC purple collar cable connection not working

SoupMama

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 11, 2004
This house I just moved into has a media cabinet inside the house, where the external signals (internet, cable, phone) go into to be split to different ports built into the walls around the house. The cable TV and cable internet are carried into the box via two separate cables. These cables run down under the house and outside to a box outside of the house. The local provider is Time-Warner, and this box is marked Time-Warner cable. We've got cable internet from them, but not cable TV.
A single black cable runs into this box. Right now, it is connected to one of the two cables running to the media cabinet. I'm assuming this is the internet connection. The other cable running to the media box is not connected. I'm assuming if we got cable from them, then they'd just hook the black cable to a splitter and then connect both media cabinet cables to the other end of the splitter.

Here's what I want to do. I still have my HD OTA antennae and HD satellite box from when I was with Voom. I want to use the antennae and box to just get me my local stations in digital HD. However, the connection isn't working properly.
If I wire the antennae directly to the Voom box, it works.
If I wire the antennae directly to the 8-way splitter the media cabinet and connect the Voom box to the cable outlet in the wall, it works.
However, if I run the antennae cable to the Time-Warner box and connect it to the other end of the unused cable that runs back to the media cabinet, it doesn't work.
The house is two years old, and the previous owners had both cable and internet, so I don't think there's a problem with the cable running from the Time-Warner box to the media cabinet.

There's also one other thing I've noticed. Both ends of the cables running from the media cabinet to the Time-Warner box have purple collars on the ends of them that are in the Time-Warner box. There are no collars in the media cabinet on any of the cables in there. Does this mean anything?
I've read here that purple cable is RG6 Quad. Does this mean I have to run the same type of cable from the antenna to the TWC box in order to get it to work?

Thanks

No signal

Soupmama
I think I know what your problem is. The voom receiver is suppling power to the antenna that voom provided you as, when you connect the antenna directly the voom box works. The splitter you have is probably not allowing dc to pass to you antenna.
You will probably need one of these.
Winegard PS-9370 TV Antenna Power Supply Pre Amp Power Inserter Injector In-Line 18V 18 Volt ChromStar 110 VAC for All Off-Air Aerial Signal Boosters / Pre-Amplifiers, Part # PS9370: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, TV Antennas, A

Use the winegard supply to power the antenna before the splitter. Then run a short coax to your splitter and then remove the grey diplexer off the back of your voom receiver, that greay box is a diplexor that mixes 18vdc with the antenna signal that powers the antenna. Then run a cox from the splitter to the ant in jack next to the sat jack on the voom box and you should be reay to go. I dont think any o your cables are bad. ANd it they are rg 6 or rg 6 qs that is even better.

Thanks for the tip dodge, but I've been working without the splitter. The problem appears to lie in that one cable that runs from the TWC box to the media cabinet. Its as if that cable itself isn't allowing the power to pass to the antenna. But is that even possible?
The cable that runs from the media cabinet to the Voom box appears to be the exact same kind of cable, and that has no problem carrying the signal.

Update:
The problem involved too much cable. the signal was basically losing strength along the way.
I get most stations decently, but some are bareley coming in above 85.

Dodge, I tried your suggestion with the Winegard power supply. The result was only slight improvement. Any suggestions on how to improve signal reception (without moving the antennae to another location).

zip is 27587.

To get the antenna higher, I'll need a taller ladder.
No power lines nearby. All underground.

All your major network digitals are UHF just about due south of you at Raleigh-Durham.

A CM4228 should do nicely for you, because 11.1 is moving back to ch 11 on 2009 and the 4228 can receive VHF high if you tie the reflectors together to make them one electrical unit.

Shouldn't need a pre-amp.

Right now it is a dedicated run. The splitter is currently out of the setup. I also shortened the overall length of cable between the antenna and the Voom. It didn't make a difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts