Voom Phone Line

SonicRob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
I just got Voom Installed and i was wondering if it hurts my Voom Box if i have the Phone Line Connected or will we need it when ever we get PPV. :D

no is should be ok as long as you got the lates software you will know if there is a problem your boxes will freeze up alot. if that happen just unplug phone and reboot.

Are the installers pickey about EVERY STB having a land line? When I ordered they told me a need this. I'm fine in all but one room. I might have to temporarily run a cable for install purposes - lol.

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
Are the installers pickey about EVERY STB having a land line? When I ordered they told me a need this. I'm fine in all but one room. I might have to temporarily run a cable for install purposes - lol.

Shawn
Most installers don't even ask about the phone line. You should be fine.
Welcome to the forum!

Does anybody know why the Caller ID will not work if the phone line is split at the wall? Is there a way to remedy this without running a separate line?

wmichsabre said:
Does anybody know why the Caller ID will not work if the phone line is split at the wall? Is there a way to remedy this without running a separate line?

It should. I have mine split there. It might have to do with the strength of the Called ID signal received. How many phones do you have jacked in throughout the house and how many times is the line split?

wmichsabre said:
FWIW, I have mine split at the wall and at my current STB and my call ID works fine.

I know the wireless phone jacks break the call ID. I picked up the RCA kit for $50 figuring that I'll find a use for it somewhere else in the house.

I was hoping I could use it to pipe phone back into my house from my Vonage DTA (VoIP) but since it kills Call ID that isn't really an option.

I'll find a home for it :).

Shawn

Can someone verify that you do not have to have a phone line installed to get Voom? I would really like to subscribe, but we are cancelling our phone service (because the phone Coop where we live is a ripoff) and we will only have cell phones. I would hate to order Voom and then have them start enforcing the phone line requirement - I would have to pay for up to 6 months of service and not be able to watch it...

- Dan

cartdan said:
Can someone verify that you do not have to have a phone line installed to get Voom? I would really like to subscribe, but we are cancelling our phone service (because the phone Coop where we live is a ripoff) and we will only have cell phones. I would hate to order Voom and then have them start enforcing the phone line requirement - I would have to pay for up to 6 months of service and not be able to watch it...

- Dan
On the phone Voom will tell you "You have to have it", but trust me, at this point it's not necessary. Perhaps in the future, but not now. I'm a charter member and don't even have a phone line in the same room as my tv, it works just fine. Just give them your cell number and tell them it's your phone number.

You do not need a phone line. The customer service reps will tell you that you need one.

If they ask for your phone number when signing up, give them your cell number and don't tell them it is a cell.

Or sign up on line. No questions there.

My installer didn't even pull the phone cords out of the box.

The only time he found out I didn't have a land-line was when he got a page and asked to use my phone and I handed him my cell.

If the PPV option does ever happen, I am sure that the option to order on-line will be available.

It is Voice over IP. It uses your high-speed internet connection for your phone connection.

Kick your phone company to the curb along with their confiscatory bills.

Check out vonage.com :D

:)

Ronald_Jeremy said:
Check out vonage.com :D

:)

Yep, got mine hooked up with vonage and it works ok. Although I doubt it has ever tried to use the phone line since we dont have PPV with voom. But my vonage line works fine with my D* boxes..

zombie said:
Yep, got mine hooked up with vonage and it works ok. Although I doubt it has ever tried to use the phone line since we dont have PPV with voom. But my vonage line works fine with my D* boxes..
Well no phone line works fine with VOOM as well.

Never hooked it up!!! VOOM works fine!!!

Ronald_Jeremy said:
Well no phone line works fine with VOOM as well.

Never hooked it up!!! VOOM works fine!!!

I just read on the F&Q's section where Voom may soon require a land line and may disconnect your service at any time without one...Makes me alittle scared because i don't have one either. I hope they give us some warning if they decide to make it mandatory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts