[VOOM] Post 6.1 pixellation/original install OTA problem

T

Timothy J Fagan

Original poster
Hi all,

I git the 6.1 update sometime last week, and ever since then, all the hi-def channels pixellate on me at least once every 30-40 seconds. Do I need a new box? I've soft and cold rebooted, and neither option has fixed the problem. I honestly can't say whether I have this same problem on SD channels, as I rarely watch those through Voom.

Also - my install was a couple of months ago, and the intaller (Installs, Inc) said he would not install the OTA antenna at the peak of my roof (2 story house - peak approx 30' above driveway) because the roof pitch was too steep, and he'd had previous falls on other jobs which made him wary of climbing up there.

As a result, my OTA antenna is installed at garage ceiling level (10' off driveway, at floor level of first floor), and as far as I can tell, is aimed directly at the trees across the cul-de-sac. My wife constantly questions why we don't get our locals (we get CBS, and a test pattern from our local ABC), and I can't much blame her. I think if the antenna were higher up, we should receive better signal, and more channels. I wish I had addressed this at the time of the install. Do you think it's too late for me to bring it up now?

In any event - the constant dropouts on the satellite signal are TOO distracting... What is my best course of action here? Thanks, in advance, for any and all advice!

--Timster--

Hi all,

I git the 6.1 update sometime last week, and ever since then, all the hi-def channels pixellate on me at least once every 30-40 seconds. Do I need a new box? I've soft and cold rebooted, and neither option has fixed the problem. I honestly can't say whether I have this same problem on SD channels, as I rarely watch those through Voom.

Also - my install was a couple of months ago, and the intaller (Installs, Inc) said he would not install the OTA antenna at the peak of my roof (2 story house - peak approx 30' above driveway) because the roof pitch was too steep, and he'd had previous falls on other jobs which made him wary of climbing up there.

As a result, my OTA antenna is installed at garage ceiling level (10' off driveway, at floor level of first floor), and as far as I can tell, is aimed directly at the trees across the cul-de-sac. My wife constantly questions why we don't get our locals (we get CBS, and a test pattern from our local ABC), and I can't much blame her. I think if the antenna were higher up, we should receive better signal, and more channels. I wish I had addressed this at the time of the install. Do you think it's too late for me to bring it up now?

In any event - the constant dropouts on the satellite signal are TOO distracting... What is my best course of action here? Thanks, in advance, for any and all advice!

--Timster--

[VOOM] Re: Post 6.1 pixellation/original install OTA problem

I agree with your frustration on the pixelation. I was having a
problem with the video and the audio cutting out. To fix, I pushed
the magic red button until all lights were lit up. I lose 1 local
this way, but all else is good. You should also call Voom on your
antenna issue. The installer is required to get the off air working
correctly.

Good luck,
Dave

--- In VOOM@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy J Fagan" <TimothyJFagan@T...>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I git the 6.1 update sometime last week, and ever since then, all

the hi-def channels pixellate on me at least once every 30-40
seconds. Do I need a new box? I've soft and cold rebooted, and
neither option has fixed the problem. I honestly can't say whether I
have this same problem on SD channels, as I rarely watch those
through Voom.
>
> Also - my install was a couple of months ago, and the intaller

(Installs, Inc) said he would not install the OTA antenna at the
peak of my roof (2 story house - peak approx 30' above driveway)
because the roof pitch was too steep, and he'd had previous falls on
other jobs which made him wary of climbing up there.
>
> As a result, my OTA antenna is installed at garage ceiling level

(10' off driveway, at floor level of first floor), and as far as I
can tell, is aimed directly at the trees across the cul-de-sac. My
wife constantly questions why we don't get our locals (we get CBS,
and a test pattern from our local ABC), and I can't much blame her.
I think if the antenna were higher up, we should receive better
signal, and more channels. I wish I had addressed this at the time
of the install. Do you think it's too late for me to bring it up now?
>
> In any event - the constant dropouts on the satellite signal are

TOO distracting... What is my best course of action here? Thanks, in
advance, for any and all advice!
>
> --Timster--

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/EyMolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VOOM/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
VOOM-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

It is definitely not too late to bring up the issue of OTA. I have had 2 service calls in addition to my install. I have found that Voom will try and please the customer, so do call and express your concerns. It will be attented to. But do not try and move or adjust anything yourself as per the Installs Inc. Installers Interface p. 24 "you wil void the guarantee of your installation, and will be charged for a service call for re-alignment."