VOOM ........ Revamp your marketing scheme.

nuclearmeltdown2046

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I feel your marketing scheme needs some SERIOUS work and overhauling . I joined the VOOM community because lets face HD is the FUTURE . But to millions of others there knowledge of HD is at a minimum . Sure exploit HD to the masses but do it at a consumer level .

EXAMPLE:
Do you think my Grandpa & Grandma care what HD is ? Hell no ,, alls they want is the "Price is Right" at 10am and the 5pm News (LOL) ......
Same goes for my mom . HD isn't a factor in her life , "Charmed,Buffy and the SciFi" channel is .

FACE IT ....... You won't sell your services by Exploiting HD as a MAIN selling point in the mainstream of Sat Services but you could sell your services to them by exploiting what they want . Not everybody except change they MUST be bought into it ....

The ONLY reason why they upgraded the TV's is due to "FORCED" changes in the Reception (anolog2digital) . Let that be your selling point ;)
Putting up that 2nd sat. could be a godsent to you if you MARKET it right .

DTV & Dish have millions of customers . I really couldn't tell you why but I assume it's due to customer satifaction , and giving them the future of stability. Look hard into this . You can have the same , even more if you do it RIGHT .

Let your SD be your selling point and you HD a Big Bonus Package !!!!!!!! You have a HD Package bigger than ANY OTHER supplier that I know of but face it there just not as many HD viewers than there are SD viewers and your certianly NOT winning them over /w your marketing scheme . Your custumer count proves that :(

Please by know means hang a rope and kill off VOOM just change your Marketing and I think you will very rapidly be VERY HAPPY /w the outcome.

If at first you don't suceed , DON'T QUIT , change and try again ;)

,,................................NM2046

If anybody else has ways VOOM could benifit in Marketing, please post your opinions .
Who knows maybe SOMEBODY in there (CableVision) is reading and take this to heart ;)

nuclearmeltdown2046 said:
Thanks your post it REALLY meant something ........ NO really it did ........NOT !!!!
Why do people do this ???

Sorry you missed the point I was making. Ciao.

That was a good post. I think added to that they should put the product on the shelf at WallMart and let people see it in operation on a calibrated monitor, buy it, take it home and if they can, install it themselves. I think thats why the other big 2 have so many sub's because its so easy to get and install.

Here's another excellent article from HDTV Magazine today about why would anyone buy an HDTV:

NEWTONVILLE, Mass.--Jan. 18, 2005--Lyra Research's new report, Why Buy? 2005 HDTV Purchase Intent Survey, identifies numerous factors surrounding potential consumer adoption of high-definition television (HDTV). For example, respondents to Lyra Research's latest consumer survey said the factor most likely to motivate an HDTV purchase would be if their primary TV stopped working. Interestingly, a suggested huge tax refund from the IRS was the second most popular motivator (see figure). These findings are among the many contained in Lyra's new DTV View report, Why Buy? 2005 HDTV Purchase Intent Survey.

Source: Lyra Research, Inc.

View multimedia news release

(There was a graph here, but it won't paste)
Here's the link. (Sorry, registration required) :mad:

"The majority of respondents do not feel compelled to purchase an HDTV set in 2005. It's a nice-to-have, not a must-have," comments Steve Hoffenberg, principal analyst for the DTV View report series and Lyra's director of electronic media research. "Additionally, as savvy electronics consumers, they expect HDTV prices to keep falling, giving them incentive to hold off buying."

Besides a huge tax refund, another possible motivator could be tax relief for HDTV buyers. Hoffenberg explains, "Since the industry is far from the FCC's goal to reach 85 percent household penetration of digital televisions--when broadcasters must relinquish the analog TV spectrum--the U.S. government could offer special tax deductions or tax credits to offset the purchase price of digital TV sets. Such tax incentives could be structured to expire at the end of any given year. The government can't just kill off analog TVs, but it could actively foster the transition to digital."

Why Buy? 2005 HDTV Purchase Intent Survey is based on a comprehensive survey conducted in November and December 2004. More than 900 adults in the United States were surveyed to determine what would motivate mass-market households to buy an HDTV, how likely they would be to buy one in 2005, and who would be most likely to buy. Questions focus on current usage and ownership of TV sets and various home-entertainment technologies that might impact HDTV purchase intentions, satisfaction with existing TV sets, awareness and experience with HDTV, and likely sources for shopping and researching of HDTV purchases, with results cross-tabulated by demographic and technographic traits.

This report is the eighth in the popular DTV View series on the digital television market (www.dtvview.com), published regularly by Lyra Research. The first report in the series can be downloaded for free from the DTV View Web site (http://www.dtvview.com/dtvview.nsf/freereport).

DarrellP said:
Here's another excellent article from HDTV Magazine today about why would anyone buy an HDTV.......
Good article, and it sure describes me! Early last year we were on analog cable when the old clunker TV crashed. I thought I would see what's up with HDTV, searched the Net, and discovered the Voom website and loved the concept of their exclusive programming. My first email to Voom early last year: "Does anybody even know your company exists?" I had found my reason to consider HDTV. We got the HDTV, got Voom, and the rest is history.

If the old TV had not crashed, or if I had not discovered Voom's website by Googling "HDTV", we would not have bothered with HDTV judging from the offerings of our cable company and other satellite providers. Wasn't enough HD out there to bother with it.

But how many other people fit into our profile?

That's why they need to have it displayed in a store where lots of people will see not only what HD looks like but will also see the source. Thats how I got into HD was by seeing it at Circuit City or some store like that. Voom wasnt around back then but if it was I would have sub'd to it at the same time I got the monitor.

Voom is about a year late and a DVR short. We can talk til we're blue in the fingers but it's all academic now :(

rvsixer said:
Sorry you missed the point I was making. Ciao.

Sorry I was a little late on getting it ;) . Sometimes I don't think, I just react . It's a bad flaw I have :(

barth2k said:
Voom is about a year late and a DVR short. We can talk til we're blue in the fingers but it's all academic now :(

I don't beleive that . Just because CV has losses doesn't mean there isn't time to make changes . Maybe it's just the RIGHT time to make changes ;)

DVR part of your post is nonsence , D* & E* both just recently introduced the DVR's to there lineup , I see very little complaints there and they have been around for yrs .... Voom is introducing (hopefully) DVR within yr+ of there service . You sound inpatient .

MORE Advertising and supporters is the key ( I think) to their future success. Your not going to win people over by throwing HD in there faces . Think about the millions that don't care about HD rather than SD packages and then fuel there needs FIRST . HD is just an EXCLUSIVE BONUS (big package at that)that sooner or later will be in ALL of our Living Rooms making them the PREMEIR SAT SERVICE.. ;)

,,.................................NM2046

calypsocowboy said:
Get it more exposure than just Sears and the Net.
They dont get ANY exposure at Sears! I was there looking for it and found a tiny little display over in the corner on the bottom shelf not even near any monitors with dust all over it. All it said is ask about our installation package and it was so outdated it still had the original installation price of...what was it like $499 or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)