Voom Satellite mounting options

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

aychamo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 3, 2004
Hey guys!

I'm curious what kind of "apartment" friendly satellite mounting options Voom has? For instance, I've seen these products like some Winegard Chimney mount, I could strap that onto a ballast right on my apartment. Or I've seen someone with a satellite mounted on a tripod. Also I seen some type of rack that sits on the ground or something and the satellite mounts onto that. My apartment complex says "no holes." So I have to play by their rules.

What are my options? If I need to put it on a tripod or whatever, do I need to go ahead and order it now? Or will the Voom installation guy have all this at his disposal? If I do need to purchase alternative mounting options, where do you guys reccomend I purchase these at?

Also, for running the cable through a window, is that "slim cable" thing ok for running to through the window? Or does that degrade performance? I am getting voom for my HDTV BTW! :)

The problem with apartments is the grounding to NEC and local codes, the installer may not be able to do this installation unless he can bond a ground cable to the buildings main service grounding point, its against the law to do it any other way (sorry to be the one to break this) , but hopefully he can run a ground cable (20'max) to the grounding point. As for the flat cable, it can be used with out much, if any signal loss, the problem is wear and tear if they are through the window or door, also making the outside connection water tight is a challenge, I use dielectric grease and it helps a great deal, the 8" flat cable should cost you no more than $10 and may come as part of the free install. As for dish mounting you may have an installer who has done a few apartments and will have a few brackets and clamps ready, some customers use a bucket mount, its a large bucket filled with cement and has a mast in it, the problem now is if the bucket moves you lose your picture, and I am not sure the installer will be keen on using this method, I only do it with the most adamant and knowledgeable customers as I don't want to be going back every few days! A tripod could be used but may be too high to get a line of sight to the satellite (and will need screwed down/holes), I wish I could have given you better news, at least if it does go ahead you will be happy, let us know how it goes, GOOD LUCK!
You also may want to visit these sites as they sell railing clamps and will give you an idea of what to expect.....

www.basicinstall.com
www.dbsinstall.com

If it does not work for any reason maybe contact a local licensed installer who will be able to give you an evaluation of your site, letting you know what (if any) dbs satellites you can get at your location.

Hmm. My main question is the mounting problems. I have a pretty nice view of south/southeast from my patio. But I don't have a rail ... However, my bestfriends are my upstairs neighbors and would let me have the satelite mounted there, but that is a foot of exposed wiring, but that is no big deal.

And ideal solution for me would be a "C"-clamp style mount. Does such a thing exist?

So you don't want to hear it may not be able to be installed legally : ) What a waste of ink! I find this is the case very often and then the installer ends up under pressure to install, remember it is the installers job that is at risk here as is the safety of everyone in the apartment! Don't break the law for TV! Get it done RIGHT or not at all!Home depot and the like have a few types of C-clamps, as do car muffler shops, good luck.

On the top of my building Voom put a pipe topper that fits over a pipe that sticks out of each roof (like the air only vent for your sink) and the dish clamps to that pipe.

I'd stick with the regular cable.

I didn't mean to say that I want some renegade satellite. I'm just thinking about the mounting options right now. Say the installer comes out and the grounding isn't a problem, but no place to mount the satelite is a problem. Then I'm screwed :)

How would one mount the satellite onto a C-clamp? I sugges this type of method because I have these "walls" that enclose my patio. They are 8 or so inches thick, so I could put a think C-clamp style thing on them and mount the satellite to that. I'd need a very secure, strong, and safe C-clamp though. Almost like to sandwhich onto the 8inch thick wall.

You can get a 5 gal. plastic bucket and fill it with cement. Stick a pipe in the middle and make sure it is plumb before the cement hardens. That should hold a small dish ok.

Sounds like a good idea to me:) What size pipe should I stick in the bucket? And how can I put the bucket in such a way that some nincompoop won't mess with it?

I dont think they will put a VoOM dish in a bucket, if it moves so much as an eighth of an inch then you will loose your picture! Thats even if you could get a level private place to put it, kids just love to move them, and cable guys, well lets not even go there! The VoOM satellite is pretty low in the ark so I just cant see a bucket getting used, there are enough return visits with VoOM right now with OTA issues that any installer would be CRAZY to install it in a bucket! And a five foot pole in a bucket is asking for trouble, it will be top heavy and the wind will move it, so you will have to cut 2-3ft off it! This may be an option but again it may be too low for VoOM!

http://www.itbusa.net/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts