VOOM STB Version 00.05.5C: Features/Bugs/Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suggestion for the program planner(or maybe I just can't find it), allow for a 'everytime' or 'every 7 days' type addition, so that when I set up an event to tape a weekly show, I don't have to do it every week.

Going to the sony box comment above, you were obviously not an early adopter of DirectTV when it came out...the sony box was crashing constantly.

Phone cable or OTA?

Do you need to have the phone line hooked up to get the upgrade? Or is this done over the air?

Thanks...

Channel mapping problems with Starz?

Has anyone else noticed that StarzHD (channel 261) is showing BravoHD?
Channel 262 says I have to call Voom. I also think a couple of other channels are incorrect as well. What's the deal with this? I haven't seen it talked about much. I also had problems with no info on my Local stations.. that has been fixed as of this morning. I'm still getting a lot of lockups however.. Black screen.. small screen in upper right, etc..

Dave

Dawson9 said:
It's most likely caused by a bad LNB. See this thread

I have the problem also

Dawson9 said:
Channel 262 says I have to call Voom. I also think a couple of other channels are incorrect as well. What's the deal with this? I haven't seen it talked about much. I also had problems with no info on my Local stations.. that has been fixed as of this morning. I'm still getting a lot of lockups however.. Black screen.. small screen in upper right, etc..

Dave

Dave,

Yes, I also have the same problem and it involves 6 channels. I am having the manager of installs coming to my house tomorrow to see if we can fix this problem. I will let you know what has to be done to fix this. I can tell you it's not the receiver. It's the LNB, switch, or diplexor.

Bill

Bill

Testing New Version: Day Two.

I did a few experiments yesterday. Here is my update on the Lockup Issue:

1. It seems, if I don't switch channels too often I can run for hours (or maybe even days - haven't tried that yet) without any lockups. On the other hand, if I start using my remote heavily (PG navigation, channel surfing, etc. - hundreds of button clicks) I can lock up my STB within 15 minutes!

2. I have confirmed that the screen saver is not relevant. With the screen saver off, I was still able to cause a lockup.

3. The output resolution also seems to be irrelevant. At least one lockup occurred while in 720p mode.

4. It doesn't seem to matter which buttons I press. I saw lockups after pressing channel buttons, navigation buttons, Back button, Help button and VOOM button. My impression is that it is a random event, that can be caused by any button. The result of the lockup of course depends on which button I pressed. The small window in the corner is usually caused by the VOOM or Help button - both of these buttons are supposed to bring the menu with a small window.

5. The problem is not specific to VOOM's remote. At least one lockup occurred when I was changing channels with my receiver's remote.

I had a lock up last night at about 7:15 pm. The lock up occured when I hit the Voom button and a small picture in the upper right corner came on , then I hit the watch button nothing....So Hit the reset button nothing....So I unpluged and it came on but no info in channels but it loaded fast about 5 to 10 minutes info was up.....

Here is the strange thing that happen...I had the program guide set to come on at 7:00 pm but it did not change ....Should I have left the Voom box on or is it ok to leave it in the standby mode....This could have caused my problem. Don't know if any one else has seen this. HD=Voom

pdqbobe said:
I had the program guide set to come on at 7:00 pm but it did not change ....Should I have left the Voom box on or is it ok to leave it in the standby mode....
I suspect the Program Planner only works when the box is ON. I will check this in the evening, though.

Lock ups

I hate this update! In the 2 weeks I had Voom, my receiver never locked up. Now in 2 days it has locked up about 4 times. Usually when using guide or pushing Voom button. Don't they do a quality check before they release new software. Am getting ready to dump Voom and try Dishnetwork. I think hdnet will make up for Voom's cinema 10. Would miss watching Cheap Trick 3 times a day on Rave though. :) I find that since I get my locals ota now I don't watch movies as much as I used to.

SO far the only problem I have is that the Program planner has not worked it stored the event and then it passed it with out doing anything. Also when I checked it was no longer in the program planner. So it deleted it itself.

Was the box on all the time?

Carbo, let us know if this happens again, or if you know how to reproduce this problem.

Hi to all. I'm a newbie to this forum, and just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth. Have been a Voomer since November. Had the second generation box installed about a month ago. Had been having local channel and lock-up problems with the first box. Since having the new STB, I have not had any problems to speak of. One lock-up that I can remember, but I was really driving it hard. Got my software upgrade on Tuesday night and have used it for serveral hours the last 2 nights without any of the problems discussed here. Maybe having the second generation box is the difference---

FAYRICH said:
Hi to all. I'm a newbie to this forum, and just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth. Have been a Voomer since November. Had the second generation box installed about a month ago. Had been having local channel and lock-up problems with the first box. Since having the new STB, I have not had any problems to speak of. One lock-up that I can remember, but I was really driving it hard. Got my software upgrade on Tuesday night and have used it for serveral hours the last 2 nights without any of the problems discussed here. Maybe having the second generation box is the difference---

Welcome FAYRICH.

I also have two second generation boxes and I can see the "black out" screen. I do not get lock either.

FAYRICH, Welcome to the forum!

I am glad to hear that your have not had too many problems! As for the second generation box, mine was installed less than 2 weeks ago, and it has been confirmed to be the "latest" generation. Never the less, I experienced all of the problems described above over the past 3 days (as did some others). So, it doesn't look like the problem is specific to older boxes...

BUG: Wrong Polarity Displayed

Note: the problem described below does not affect most of the users. The description is provided to help VOOM/Moto engineers, and to satisfy curiosity of others...

I reported this problem before, but it is not yet fixed in the latest version. I have finally figured this one out. I think I know what's going on. This is a minor problem, but I believe it can be fixed with a single line of code.

Problem description
On the "manual tuning" screen, channels that have "Left_Horiz" polarity are displayed as having "Right_Ve" polarity.

Steps to reproduce the problem
1. Tune to one of the following channels: 204, 206, 226, 229, 261, or 262 (any channel with "Left_Horiz" polarity).
2. Using the usual "9-8-8" trick, get to the hidden menu (where you do factory resets).
3. Highlight the "manual tuning" menu item and press OK button.
For a moment you may see "Left_Horiz" polarity selected, and then the check-mark will jump to "Right_Ve". I believe this is a bug.
4. Without changing anything, highlight the "Tune" button and press "OK". A wrong channel will be shown!
5. To restore the proper channel mapping, select "Left_Horiz" and then "Tune" again. Also, if you change the channel with your remote, it may restore the proper polarity.

Problem cause
Here is what I think is going on. When we press "OK" to enter the "manual tuning" menu item, the program is supposed to clear the input buffer that stores the latest remote command ("OK"). Evidently the program fails to do so, and the "OK" command gets passed through to the next menu level, as if you pressed the "OK" button twice. The "Right_Ve" is always highlighted by default, so when the program receives that extra "OK" command, it changes polarity setting to "Right_Ve". The change takes effect after you press "Tune".
To prove this theory, try the following: instead of pressing "OK", enter the "manual tuning" menu item by selecting the item number (I think it is "1"). Since this (numeric) command has no action in the next menu level, it will be ignored, and the "Right_Ve" selection will not occur.

To fix this problem simply clear the input buffer before going to the next menu level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)