VOOM Subs are Loyal Enthusiast

kfried001

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Voom Faithful Still Holding Out Hope
Subscribers Wonder What’s Next as EchoStar Takes the Keys

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Steve Donohue 2/7/2005In this story:
IN TRANSITION
LEMMON IN HD

Chris Powell had the Voom HDTV satellite service installed at his San Angelo, Texas, home on Jan. 17, just two days before Cablevision Systems Corp. announced a $200 million sale of the satellite assets that make Voom tick to EchoStar Communications Corp.

“I didn’t have any idea Voom would be sold,” said Powell, who found out about the deal by reading a news story on the Internet. “There was nothing really said that indicated that it might go away.”

Powell is one of thousands of customers — many of whom have spent more than $1,000 on Voom hardware — that have been left in limbo because of the EchoStar agreement, which was announced Jan. 20.

IN TRANSITION
Cablevision has said that it will continue to operate Voom during a “transition period” before the transaction between its Rainbow DBS unit and EchoStar closes.

EchoStar isn’t buying Voom customers, last reported at 26,000. Voom continues to accept new orders, but several customers said they are weighing whether to order another cable or satellite HDTV service in anticipation of Voom’s shutdown. Others have already made the switch.

Leesburg, Va., resident Robert Kneuper ordered Voom about six months ago, but kept a cable subscription with Adelphia Communications Corp. to get local channels. After hearing about the Voom sale, Kneuper upgraded to Adelphia’s HDTV service.

Voom hasn’t sent any notification to subscribers about the sale, or a possible shutdown of the service, Kneuper and other customers said.

“We’re sort of hanging out there. Nobody can figure out how Voom can keep going without their satellite. Certainly, some notification would be useful,” said Kneuper, who works as an economist at the Federal Trade Commission.

Cablevision and Voom officials declined to comment on the fate of the Voom customers, including questions regarding whether Cablevision and Voom are obligated to notify customers about the service’s future.

Crutchfield Corp., a Voom retail distributor, recently stopped selling the DBS service. A source said Crutchfield pulled the plug because Rainbow frequently changed the pricing offer for Voom, making it difficult for Crutchfield to pitch the service in its catalogs.

An executive at Voom distributor Sears, who asked not to be identified, said the retailer was continuing to market and sell Voom, and that Sears had not been notified by Rainbow DBS executives of a pending shutdown. BrandsMart USA stores also continue to sell Voom.

The Carmel Group analyst Jimmy Schaeffler estimated Voom’s 26,000 customers could fetch $30 to $40 million in a sale, and said it’s still possible EchoStar could buy them.

He also opined that EchoStar should buy Voom’s original programming assets — the 21 channels created for the service. EchoStar needs original content in order to compete with DirecTV Inc. and major cable operators, the analyst said.

Complaining about a lack of HDTV programming on cable, DirecTV and Dish Network, some Voom customers said they would switch to any platform that bought the Voom programming.

LEMMON IN HD
Beverly Hills, Calif., resident Adriano Aragon said his favorite networks on Voom are movie channels, noting he had just watched an old Jack Lemmon film converted from 35 millimeter film to high-definition.

“It’s as good as going to the cinema,” he said.

Michael Sanchez, who bought Voom for his Sugar Land, Texas, home on Jan. 12, said he wished he had ordered it sooner. “I think it’s a sad day for technology in general,” he said of the Voom sell-off.

Selma, Calif., resident Mike Pointdexter, who has had Voom since the service debuted in late 2003, said he’s not sure what to do with the Voom satellite dish and receiver he bought for about $850.

“It may be a paperweight, or it may have some other use,” he said.

Voom’s remaining assets include the Voom customer base; the original programming services; six orbital slots; and wireless licenses that a Rainbow DBS affiliate acquired in the Federal Communications Commission’s Multichannel Video and Distribution Data Service auction last year.

Again with the "...Voom HDTV satellite service..."!
Isn't there some way to make writers describe it simply as "Voom satellite service" so maybe the idea that it is only for HDTV will fade away?

*sigh* :no

Well in all their advertising that is what VOOM themselves push. It is natural for people to get the impression that it is just an HD service. Also why are we reposting stories that have already been posted and a a week old?

TheTimm said:
Again with the "...Voom HDTV satellite service..."!
Isn't there some way to make writers describe it simply as "Voom satellite service" so maybe the idea that it is only for HDTV will fade away?
Lets see if we can change the name. Voom is operated by RainbowDBS, owned by Cablevision ... no HD in those names. So let's get a new name for the company. Maybe VoomHD LLC? :D

HD is at the core of Voom service. 21 unique channels that they have created plus carrying the most other HD (other than HDNet and regional sports) that people can get. They even tout getting locals in HD OTA. The SD "cable favorites" service *is* secondary. And nessisary to bring the service into the general public's price/value range.

JL

Frankly, most people think that they can get HD by just buying a "HD Ready set". They don't have a clue about getting HD progamming vs analog.

JimP your right
Also VOOM is operating under the classic marketing premise of "USP" (Unique Selling Proposition) It is what makes you differnet from the other guys. HD is just that but it does bury the SD offerings, /Even though all the TV ads mention 150 channels of the most popular SD, it is the HD that people remember and that makes them differnet from DISH, DIRECT or most Cable.

I don't know if I am unique in my viewing preferences or not but since I got an HDTV and VOOM I RARELY watch SD anymore. I am so impressed by the picture quality, it's almost as if the program doesn't matter. That may sound stupid but it's kind of like when CD's first came out (yes, I'm old enough to remember), I would buy a CD just to hear how good it sounded, didn't even matter who it was by. And when VCR's first came out, it was the novelty of being able to watch and control the movie in your own home, regardless of what it was. I'm sure the "novelty" will wear off, I've only had VOOM and HDTV for 3 months but for now I am still in awe at the picture.

If it looks like one...

I'm still not sure why everyone is throwing themselves on the floor and pounding away while screaming, "Voom isn't just HDTV!!!!" The WORST thing Voom could do right now is try and position themselves as, "Just like everyone else!" If they were to do this, they'd go down in flames faster than they already are. The ONLY thing they have over their competitors is the HD! Let's look at it:

-Voom does NOT offer local channels via satellite.
-Voom does NOT offer all channels people want.
-Voom does NOT offer a dvr.
-Voom does NOT offer NFL Sunday Ticket. Heck, Voom doesn't even offer RSNs!!!
-Voom has NOT fixed the sparklies on SD stations.
-Voom hardware IS buggy.
-Voom IS more expensive than comparable packages from competitors.
-Voom DID just raise their prices for a product, which still doesn't work 100%.

Hmm, not sure I'd want to write a marketing piece having to explain all of that. I'd rather write a marketing piece which says something like:

"Voom has the most original HD programming available anywhere!"

Much easier to sell that. It's bad enough people around here are just as delusional as Dolan Sr. but to have everyone trying to claim Voom is as good as their competitors in NON-HD programming is REALLY crazy.

Call me negative if you want. I'd love to see Voom work but I just don't see it. If they were able to make it work, and work PROPERLY, I'd be happy to drop my current provider again (yes, I did it once for Voom). As a few RATIONAL people around here have said, "Just because you say they're not in trouble doesn't mean they're not in trouble."

The Rickster

GadgetRick said:
I'm still not sure why everyone is throwing themselves on the floor and pounding away while screaming, "Voom isn't just HDTV!!!!" The WORST thing Voom could do right now is try and position themselves as, "Just like everyone else!" If they were to do this, they'd go down in flames faster than they already are. The ONLY thing they have over their competitors is the HD! Let's look at it:

-Voom does NOT offer NFL Sunday Ticket. Heck, Voom doesn't even offer RSNs!!!
-Voom hardware IS buggy.

Hmm, not sure I'd want to write a marketing piece having to explain all of that. I'd rather write a marketing piece which says something like:

"Voom has the most original HD programming available anywhere!"

Much easier to sell that. It's bad enough people around here are just as delusional as Dolan Sr. but to have everyone trying to claim Voom is as good as their competitors in NON-HD programming is REALLY crazy.

Call me negative if you want. I'd love to see Voom work but I just don't see it. If they were able to make it work, and work PROPERLY, I'd be happy to drop my current provider again (yes, I did it once for Voom). As a few RATIONAL people around here have said, "Just because you say they're not in trouble doesn't mean they're not in trouble."

The Rickster

I see your point but.... You walked through the kitchen, paused at the stove and sampled the soup that was simmering. In disgust you said" This is terrible!" and walked out of the kitchen. Guess what? The chef was only half finished with the recipe. Try it again, I am sure it will pass your critical taste expectations.

I came back to Voom after a totally negative first time experience and love the service now.

I would like to see them market an SD-only service using the SD boxes shown at CES-2005.
Give people without an HDTV set the oppurtunity to subscribe to an SD service at a discounted rate.
Market the SD-only service at a cheaper rate than the other providers.

Ok I'll take on some of these issues. (I dropped E* completely for it.) Its not all that bad.

True, but OTA reception varies by Region. In my Area (South Florida) I get over 19 OTA digital stations. thats more that I got beamed in via satallite and the Signal is generally better. (Oh and they broadcast HD content too!) In some cases I get channels that E* didn't offer like the PBS subchannels with HD content.
I know that I'm lucky where I Live I get so many OTAs but I don't think its as big an issue as some say.

Yeah like 5000 Shopping channels and a ton of Religious programming...... Ok that was a cheap shot. My kids liked Nogin and I was Fond of G4 TechTV and NASA TV. But beyond that, no big. I have cool HD programming to watch and my kids like MooV (Lab, whatever)
This may not be an Issue in March when the extra SD channels go up. But as it stands now (IMHO) there is more Signal than Noise on the SD lineup. which is more than I could say for E*.

-Yet..... besides, other than the Geeks on this board (no offence intended) DVRs are still gaining popularity and TIVO does work on VOOM (so they say), So its probably not that big an Issue. (Yes I know TIVO doesn't do HD but it is the 900lb gorrilla in the market.)

-Voom does NOT offer NFL Sunday Ticket. Neither does anyone other the D*, Not E* Not Adelphia not T/W not Comcast etc. While its a selling point for D* it certainly isn't a deal breaker for most.

Heck, Voom doesn't even offer RSNs!!!

Not exactly true (or totally false), I have my RSN's (Sunshine Network and Fox FL) and I know that others do too. Like OTA's YMMV -

SD Channels look WAAY better than E* and Adelphia Why Sci Fi Channel is even watchable now.

-Voom hardware IS buggy.

Actually the Hardware seems fine but the Software is weak but so was my E*. However, Voom is making improvements all the time.

OK you got me there. I pay 7.50 more per month then I did E* But I didn't get as many HD Channels (Local and SAT), as a matter of fact I got 0 thats ZERO, zip, zilch nada, nunca! on my old plan. If I wanted HD that was an Extra 9.99/per month. So including Taxes E* with its 5 whole HD Channels (I don't buy HBO etc so I don't count them) actually cost 3.14 more! Of course since VOOM offers 21 HD channels that nobody else offers you might even go so far as to say that there is no "Comparable Package" .

Red herring...On original Subscribers yes, but for folks like me who signed up late last year the prices remain the same. (I was on the $1 promo.) This will be a non issue soon enough.

As far as the product not working 100% well it works well enough now. Most of the problems are with the installers, Once your Gear is up things are pretty smooth. Now if you mean by feature set (Program guided and scheduling) OK they aren't "Full featured" but they work and as I said earlier improvements are being made. The bugs aren't bad enough to make my wife (non-tech) complain any more than she did about the old system. (Same amount, different subjects --Net ZERO)

I have my compaints about the system (Guide /Scheduling)but the PQ compared to what I was getting before is like Night and Day. Is there room for improvement, sure but overall I'm impressed enough that I will keep my sub and recommend it to others who have HD setups. Heck its only $1.00 to get in and a six month commitment thats nothing! and if they go bust you really have not lost anything. (You can always go back to what you had before for little or no cost depending on the relationship you had with your old provider.

From Threv

See replies:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Ok I'll take on some of these issues. (I dropped E* completely for it.) Its not all that bad.

True, but OTA reception varies by Region. In my Area (South Florida) I get over 19 OTA digital stations. thats more that I got beamed in via satallite and the Signal is generally better. (Oh and they broadcast HD content too!) In some cases I get channels that E* didn't offer like the PBS subchannels with HD content.
I know that I'm lucky where I Live I get so many OTAs but I don't think its as big an issue as some say.
"Varries by region," is the problem. Too many people have problems viewing their locals. They can NEVER (yes, I said NEVER) become a major player with this. It's been discussed to death around here. I don't think anyone believes this can be ignored for Voom to succeed.

Yeah like 5000 Shopping channels and a ton of Religious programming...... Ok that was a cheap shot. My kids liked Nogin and I was Fond of G4 TechTV and NASA TV. But beyond that, no big. I have cool HD programming to watch and my kids like MooV (Lab, whatever)
This may not be an Issue in March when the extra SD channels go up. But as it stands now (IMHO) there is more Signal than Noise on the SD lineup. which is more than I could say for E*.
Ah, but you see, Joe Sixpack WANTS these channels. Sure, Voom may have what YOU or I want but it's not about YOU or I, it's about subs and the vast majority of subs wants all of that crappy TV. They've got it now and won't give it up.

-Yet..... besides, other than the Geeks on this board (no offence intended) DVRs are still gaining popularity and TIVO does work on VOOM (so they say), So its probably not that big an Issue. (Yes I know TIVO doesn't do HD but it is the 900lb gorrilla in the market.)
Sure, I keep hearing yet. And you're right, most people don't care about a dvr but many people have them and it's certainly something they'll need to become a player. I NEVER believed for a second it's something which will make or break them but it's a problem and they need to address it. btw, they've been saying the dvr is coming for months now...

-Voom does NOT offer NFL Sunday Ticket. Neither does anyone other the D*, Not E* Not Adelphia not T/W not Comcast etc. While its a selling point for D* it certainly isn't a deal breaker for most.
Right, but MILLIONS of people have it because they WANT it. This means they're with dtv. This means they're not gonna switch because they want it.

Not exactly true (or totally false), I have my RSN's (Sunshine Network and Fox FL) and I know that others do too. Like OTA's YMMV -
And exactly why do I care about my LOCAL RSN only? Part of what people like about other products is you can watch RSNs from other regions. And, more importantly, they have exactly TWO regions covered. They aren't even covering their OWN region (NYC)! So it is, exactly true that they don't offer RSNs. They offer 2 RSNs but that hardly constitutes offering them to everyone. It's a problem.

SD Channels look WAAY better than E* and Adelphia Why Sci Fi Channel is even watchable now.
Yes, overall, SD is better than other services. However, I've been watching the same crappy sparklies on The History Channel, Comededy Central and many other SD channels for OVER A YEAR now with NO fix. As badly as SD looks on other products I don't have the distracting sparklies. Oh, and try watching some of the movie channels (not the Voom channels) in SD. Sometimes it's like watching a movie through a screen. This is a HUGE problem until EVERYTHING is HD.

-Voom hardware IS buggy.

Actually the Hardware seems fine but the Software is weak but so was my E*. However, Voom is making improvements all the time.
Ok, you semantics here. The SOFTWARE in the HARDWARE is buggy. Their improvements made my situation worse instead of better. The PG still takes WAY too long to load and there are other issues.

OK you got me there. I pay 7.50 more per month then I did E* But I didn't get as many HD Channels (Local and SAT), as a matter of fact I got 0 thats ZERO, zip, zilch nada, nunca! on my old plan. If I wanted HD that was an Extra 9.99/per month. So including Taxes E* with its 5 whole HD Channels (I don't buy HBO etc so I don't count them) actually cost 3.14 more! Of course since VOOM offers 21 HD channels that nobody else offers you might even go so far as to say that there is no "Comparable Package" .
So, as I explained, Voom IS an HD service since they cannot compete unless they are. And we don't all watch HD only and Voom does not offer an HD only pack so you have to compare it because you have no choice. Voom loses this comparison hands down even though they offer more HD than anyone.

Red herring...On original Subscribers yes, but for folks like me who signed up late last year the prices remain the same. (I was on the $1 promo.) This will be a non issue soon enough.
You can call it a red herring if you want. They raised their prices...period. They raised their prices on a product, which doesn't work 100%. To me, that's just insulting. Work out your problems before raising my prices. Not only was I paying to be a beta tester they wanted me to pay MORE to keep testing. Bad move.

As far as the product not working 100% well it works well enough now. Most of the problems are with the installers, Once your Gear is up things are pretty smooth. Now if you mean by feature set (Program guided and scheduling) OK they aren't "Full featured" but they work and as I said earlier improvements are being made. The bugs aren't bad enough to make my wife (non-tech) complain any more than she did about the old system. (Same amount, different subjects --Net ZERO)
Look, working well enough for someone like yourself or others around here is fine. However, remember, we're talking about the average customer. The average customer does NOT want to deal with the problems listed here. They aren't willing to pay for working, "well enough". They want it to work. They don't want to have to call tech support only to have someone claim a service call needs to be placed and you'll need to waste a half day of your time to wait for another installer to come out and finish the job which should have been done originally. Or to fix a problem our system has created. It's just not acceptable to 99% of the customers out there.

I have my compaints about the system (Guide /Scheduling)but the PQ compared to what I was getting before is like Night and Day. Is there room for improvement, sure but overall I'm impressed enough that I will keep my sub and recommend it to others who have HD setups. Heck its only $1.00 to get in and a six month commitment thats nothing! and if they go bust you really have not lost anything. (You can always go back to what you had before for little or no cost depending on the relationship you had with your old provider.
---------------------------------------------------------------

One thing people don't understand is I was a Voom sub for OVER A YEAR until about a week ago. I am a techincal kind of guy who can deal with many issues and is MORE than willing to pay a premium for, what I perceive, is a better service. I was happy doing this for over a year until I just couldn't take the lack of communication from Voom, the lack of caring about the product (i.e. they aren't fixing what's broken) and a price increase on top of that. I had even ditched my previous provider 100% in favor of Voom giving up my precious Sunday Ticket. However, as much as I HATE (and I do mean HATE) dtv, at least the darn thing works. I have much less HD programming but what good is all that programming if I can't enjoy it because I'm continually having to fix something with the system? And no, it's not my system, it's the problems I've listed here and many others I have not.

Now, you may not have experienced as many problems as I had been towards the end or you just may not have reached your saturation point (which is what happened to me). Maybe you never reach these points. Maybe Voom finally gets some serious funding (not likely) and they get the product going the way it should/can be going (impossible without funding). I hope they do but I'm also not drinking the kool aid about Voom. I'm being realistic.

The Rickster

GadgetRick said:
See replies:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Varries by region," is the problem. Too many people have problems viewing their locals. They can NEVER (yes, I said NEVER) become a major player with this. It's been discussed to death around here. I don't think anyone believes this can be ignored for Voom to succeed.

Voom never promised anyone LOCALS via satellite. If anyone was expecting this, they are fooling themselves. That is not their current model. If local is what you need, there are alternative services if you are not willing to get them via OTA. Voom never promised anyone LOCALS via satellite.

GadgetRick said:

Ah, but you see, Joe Sixpack WANTS these channels. Sure, Voom may have what YOU or I want but it's not about YOU or I, it's about subs and the vast majority of subs wants all of that crappy TV. They've got it now and won't give it up.

Again, if anyone signs up and do not look up their channel line up and then expect their RSN is going to be part of the line up, AGAIN, you only have yourself to blame. Their website clearly states the channel line up. Whether your "favorite" channel will appear down road is not guaranteed. If it is not in the current channel line up, do not fool yourself by believing it is going to be in the line up as soon as you or anyone signs up.

GadgetRick said:

Sure, I keep hearing yet. And you're right, most people don't care about a dvr but many people have them and it's certainly something they'll need to become a player. I NEVER believed for a second it's something which will make or break them but it's a problem and they need to address it. btw, they've been saying the dvr is coming for months now...

Sure... it is not like they are not working on it. For some this is a must. Others can live without. Again they do not offer a DVR. They have been working on one but nothing is promised. I do agree that one is needed in order to compete. That's the future of TV.

GadgetRick said:
Right, but MILLIONS of people have it because they WANT it. This means they're with dtv. This means they're not gonna switch because they want it.

I guess the million of subs of Dish Network and Cable companies are all going to run to DirecTv because they have Sunday Ticket :confused: Sunday Ticket is targeted to a particular audience. If you happen to be that audience, do not look at any provider but go with DirecTv. There are a lot of people who can live without Sunday Ticket. Again VOOM never promised Sunday Ticket.

GadgetRick said:

And exactly why do I care about my LOCAL RSN only? Part of what people like about other products is you can watch RSNs from other regions. And, more importantly, they have exactly TWO regions covered. They aren't even covering their OWN region (NYC)! So it is, exactly true that they don't offer RSNs. They offer 2 RSNs but that hardly constitutes offering them to everyone. It's a problem.

True. But if you leave in Florida, those subs are happy. Again they did not promise RSNs in their current line up. If this is important to anyone, please do not sign up and then complaint that you could not find RSNs in their line up.

GadgetRick said:

Yes, overall, SD is better than other services. However, I've been watching the same crappy sparklies on The History Channel, Comededy Central and many other SD channels for OVER A YEAR now with NO fix. As badly as SD looks on other products I don't have the distracting sparklies. Oh, and try watching some of the movie channels (not the Voom channels) in SD. Sometimes it's like watching a movie through a screen. This is a HUGE problem until EVERYTHING is HD.

Yes, that is true about the Sparkies. The SD channels look the same as the SD channels on Dish Network the last time I compared. I do not watch a whole lot of SD channels so maybe I will revisit them once you tell me which ones you are talking about.

GadgetRick said:
-Voom hardware IS buggy.

Ok, you semantics here. The SOFTWARE in the HARDWARE is buggy. Their improvements made my situation worse instead of better. The PG still takes WAY too long to load and there are other issues.

Yes. The software is buggy. It has been quite good since April 2004. The stb was more stable. Yes, not everything has been cured but it has been stable.

GadgetRick said:

So, as I explained, Voom IS an HD service since they cannot compete unless they are. And we don't all watch HD only and Voom does not offer an HD only pack so you have to compare it because you have no choice. Voom loses this comparison hands down even though they offer more HD than anyone.

mm... It all depends what you are paying for. Would I pay $100 for 7 hd channels and bunch of SD compressed channels or would I pay $110 for 30+ HD channels and limited amount of SD channels.

GadgetRick said:

You can call it a red herring if you want. They raised their prices...period. They raised their prices on a product, which doesn't work 100%. To me, that's just insulting. Work out your problems before raising my prices. Not only was I paying to be a beta tester they wanted me to pay MORE to keep testing. Bad move.

Haven't seen the price increase for early adopters. Rick price increases were made by Dish, Direct, Cable... Not sure I follow your logic here. You pay for the programming. If the programming was not good enough for you, you made your decision to leave and provide someone else the same money. Do it myself all the time.

GadgetRick said:
Look, working well enough for someone like yourself or others around here is fine. However, remember, we're talking about the average customer. The average customer does NOT want to deal with the problems listed here. They aren't willing to pay for working, "well enough". They want it to work. They don't want to have to call tech support only to have someone claim a service call needs to be placed and you'll need to waste a half day of your time to wait for another installer to come out and finish the job which should have been done originally. Or to fix a problem our system has created. It's just not acceptable to 99% of the customers out there.

Rick, the stb has been working fine and are stable. There are a few isolated cases of hardware going bad. You make it sound like nothing is working and you are very far from the thruth.

GadgetRick said:
One thing people don't understand is I was a Voom sub for OVER A YEAR until about a week ago. I am a techincal kind of guy who can deal with many issues and is MORE than willing to pay a premium for, what I perceive, is a better service. I was happy doing this for over a year until I just couldn't take the lack of communication from Voom, the lack of caring about the product (i.e. they aren't fixing what's broken) and a price increase on top of that. I had even ditched my previous provider 100% in favor of Voom giving up my precious Sunday Ticket. However, as much as I HATE (and I do mean HATE) dtv, at least the darn thing works.

I do not know what type of communication you wanted Rick. Did you want to speak to the engineers and say something was not working to them. Even though it has been posted here lots of times on the various things that they were working on.

GadgetRick said:
I have much less HD programming but what good is all that programming if I can't enjoy it because I'm continually having to fix something with the system? And no, it's not my system, it's the problems I've listed here and many others I have not.

I am glad that you recognized that you have much less HD programming. There are a few that come and claim that they have the same programming no matter what.

GadgetRick said:
Now, you may not have experienced as many problems as I had been towards the end or you just may not have reached your saturation point (which is what happened to me). Maybe you never reach these points. Maybe Voom finally gets some serious funding (not likely) and they get the product going the way it should/can be going (impossible without funding). I hope they do but I'm also not drinking the kool aid about Voom. I'm being realistic.

The Rickster

I like the way you say "not likely" to the funding. You know something that nobody knows. Maybe you should seriously consider putting some money on CVC stocks. Seriously, you decided to vote with your pocket because you were not happy about the service. Good. But some of us are still paying for the service and do not find the service as bad you picture it. Sorry but that is reality.

Rick,

Good response to my posts, I will consider myself suffriciently smacked down on most of the issues. Except for "sparklies" I don't know WTF your talking about, I thought I did but after re-reading your post I don't know what you mean the SD look Stupendous. (I can compare to only to D* E* and Adelphia and Bellsouth) and I still don't buy your Argument about costs.. --we'll have to agree to disagree there.-

I guess I have not reached a saturation point because besides initial install problems (which I had with E* as well), everything has been good. Perhaps after a year I will feel the same as you. I think its one of the hazards of being an early adopter. (sorry)
I have seen the same things in MMOG's (Massive Multiplayer Online Games.) I have joined a few right when they first started. It all felt like a half baked product. I suffered through patches and rules revisions and bugs and billing errors till I couldn't take it so I quit. Only to find that couple of years later that products had matured into something pretty good and the "Out-of-Box Experience" was vastly improved. Unfortunatley by that time I was so soured by my first experiences that I could not give the "improved" product a fair shake.

So far my OOBE with Voom has been pretty good and I guess compared to other folks my TV veiwing needs are limited. I get Dolphins Football, Marlins baseball, Panthers Hockey, my locals and enough SD programming to make my family happy as well as HD Programming that I did not get before without spending extra money.
When I signed up I looked and saw what they did and did not offer at the time I signed up. There were no surprises nor did I expect anything more than waht they offered. As a consumer I did my research and chose according to my wants and needs. To me I find value with the product because I feel like the money I'm paying is actually buying product I want. As opposed to when I had E* I felt the exact opposite. (but I better than cable and cheaper the BSDTV)

Yes, its not about you or I individually but hey we're consumers just like everyone else. Are there more folks with your tastes than me? I don't know, I suppose time will tell. For now I'm happy with what I've got and when I'm not I'll switch. (Like a good consumer)....

In my area neither DISH or DIRECT offer over the satellite locals yet. So just because you are in a big metro area doesn't mean that everyone is able to get all their locals that way.

Misunderstand

Sorry Threv, it's not my intention to smack anyone down here. :) Just healthy debate.

And Sean, you're sort of missing the point I'm trying to make here. Yes, people see the channel lineup, lack of dvr, etc. before they sign up. These are not the reasons I left Voom. My point is, in order for Voom to be a viable competitor to other satellite companies/cable they have to offer a product which is comparable. This allows them to compete. Not having all of the things I listed are a big reason Voom hardly has any subs and Dolan is scrambling around like a mad man. Just because you, or me or anyone here on this board wants or does not want something doesn't mean the rest of the country (i.e. other subs) has the same opionion. The last time I checked, people like us around here are quite a minority compared to the general public. So, if you're arguing Voom doesn't need these things because you and I don't want/need them that may sound great but, in order to make money, they need subs, in order to gain subs, they need these things. They need to offer more sports. They need to offer more channels. They need to offer locals ota. I never said anything about Voom promising ANY of this. What I've said/am saying is Voom MUST offer these kinds of things if they plan to stay in business for any length of time.

And, as far as Sunday Ticket goes, you're right, the other people don't have it and they're all kicking themselves for allowing dtv to have it locked up. We all know dtv gains a LOT of subs from this. I don't expect Voom to have it nor am I complaining they don't have it. I'm stating a fact, millions of people subscribe to Sunday Ticket. Most of those people will NOT switch to Voom or any other service because they want Sunday Ticket. So that removes a lot of potential subs there. Voom can't change that. However, it does make it that much tougher for them to become a viable company.

And Sean, tell me I'm wrong about the funding. Show me the proof you always ask for as to how they're going to obtain funding. There is plenty of proof out there to show how difficult (at best) it will be to raise any funding for Voom. Sure, Dolan may TOTALLY flip and sell off his CVC stock, that's certainly his choice but, other than that, I'll be surprised, no, I'll be SHOCKED if anyone steps up to pump any appreciable amount of money (defined as enough to keep them going for at least 6 months) in this economic climate. I don't have to be a money wiz to look at it objectively and make a realistic statement like, "Dolan will find it next to impossible to find enough funding to keep Voom alive." It just doesn't make ANY sense for ANYONE to pump money into Voom right now.

And, assuming they were able to get a few hundred million bucks, what would their plan be to gain more subs? Give away the service? Oh, wait, they've already been doing that and it's not working. How do they market the product to the masses? How do they get someone who already has either cable or satellite or both to switch to Voom or add it? This is the point I'm trying to make. They're not left with a whole lot of options.

As far as communication goes, you missed my point again. You're thinking like a technical person. No, I don't want to HAVE to speak to an engineer. I don't want to HAVE to bother Wilt for answers. I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. I don't have to with dtv. I'm going to guess you don't have to with Dish and I don't believe people have to with cable. Communication would be telling their existing subs what the heck is going on. I don't want to hear bull about quiet periods and stuff like that. As I mentioned to you before, there are things they can say and things they can't say. Rather than saying nothing (like they have been) how about saying SOMETHING?? Oh great, Dolan Sr. sent a two sentence BS message to Satellite Guys. Well that about covers it. I guess they don't need to let the other subs know anything. They have just handled EVERYTHING improperly from a communications standpoint. Not just the current situation but everything before. We're always grasping for answers, for what the plan is, which direction the ship is headed. I can't even say it's been vague, there's just been NOTHING from them. If you're fighting to stay alive and you want to keep your customers happy, totally ignoring them (which is what's been happening for MONTHS now) is NOT being helpful.

Honestly, if people around here would just listen to what some of us are saying rather than automatically getting into defense mode, they'd realize we're not trying to trash Voom. They need enough subs to survive and you get subs by catering to the masses not to the select few (like us around here) who don't care about a lot of the BS offered by other companies. The other companies offer that stuff for a reason--a LOT of people want it. If Voom expects to do well, they need to convince people to switch to Voom or add it on to existing service. This won't happen if they're not offering the things most people want. If I'm so wrong, why has Voom struggled from day 1???

The Rickster

I would just like add that a few (if not many) D* and E* customers are giving VOOM a try and are finding the service a valuable "addition".

Are we canceling our current providers? No, just adding to the mix.

My previous D* Bill was 130+ a month. I added VOOM on the 1$ deal. After hearing the news of the stay of execution, I added the VaVaVoom (help them out with a little cash flow :) ) and altered my package at D* to Total Choice + Locals + HD (Now approx 55 a month with D*).
I still have the HD Tivo recording all the HD/SD network stuff (who wants commercials), and still have my SundayTicket.

So for about 20 bucks, I improved my HD channel options by about 300 percent and after hooking up my old standalone tivo, all I am giving up is recording a few HD movie channels(didn't record a lot of movies anyway).

From what I have read about installs, they must have gotten all their practice in on earlier adopters; mine went without a hitch

Threv said:
Rick,

Good response to my posts, I will consider myself suffriciently smacked down on most of the issues. Except for "sparklies" I don't know WTF your talking about, I thought I did but after re-reading your post I don't know what you mean the SD look Stupendous. (I can compare to only to D* E* and Adelphia and Bellsouth) and I still don't buy your Argument about costs.. --we'll have to agree to disagree there.-

I guess I have not reached a saturation point because besides initial install problems (which I had with E* as well), everything has been good. Perhaps after a year I will feel the same as you. I think its one of the hazards of being an early adopter. (sorry)
I have seen the same things in MMOG's (Massive Multiplayer Online Games.) I have joined a few right when they first started. It all felt like a half baked product. I suffered through patches and rules revisions and bugs and billing errors till I couldn't take it so I quit. Only to find that couple of years later that products had matured into something pretty good and the "Out-of-Box Experience" was vastly improved. Unfortunatley by that time I was so soured by my first experiences that I could not give the "improved" product a fair shake.

So far my OOBE with Voom has been pretty good and I guess compared to other folks my TV veiwing needs are limited. I get Dolphins Football, Marlins baseball, Panthers Hockey, my locals and enough SD programming to make my family happy as well as HD Programming that I did not get before without spending extra money.
When I signed up I looked and saw what they did and did not offer at the time I signed up. There were no surprises nor did I expect anything more than waht they offered. As a consumer I did my research and chose according to my wants and needs. To me I find value with the product because I feel like the money I'm paying is actually buying product I want. As opposed to when I had E* I felt the exact opposite. (but I better than cable and cheaper the BSDTV)

Yes, its not about you or I individually but hey we're consumers just like everyone else. Are there more folks with your tastes than me? I don't know, I suppose time will tell. For now I'm happy with what I've got and when I'm not I'll switch. (Like a good consumer)....
My God maybe Voom can survice after all, HE GETS PANTHERS HOCKEY. Now thats an exclusive LOL

stevesmall said:
My God maybe Voom can survice after all, HE GETS PANTHERS HOCKEY. Now thats an exclusive LOL

He not getting any hockey, trust me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)