VOOM systems on eBay

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

1080iBeVuMin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
Santa Rosa, CA
red ufo said:
The person has no feedback you will get ripped off.

You can't support a blanket statement that someone with no Ebay feedback will rip you off - that is the exception rather than the rule. Everyone starts on Ebay with a 0 rating. The questions I WOULD be asking them is where they are getting them, and what you are expected to do with them given that Voom is refusing to activate them...

Okay, I appreciate all the advice and will stay away from these eBay units.

But answer me this. If VOOM says they will never connect a box purchased from a third party, it means that any box purchased from VOOM has zero resale value because nobody can ever buy your box and connect it up again. Sure makes the LEASE PLAN sound better!

Am I missing something?

1080iWannabe said:
If VOOM says they will never connect a box purchased from a third party, it means that any box purchased from VOOM has zero resale value because nobody can ever buy your box and connect it up again. Sure makes the LEASE PLAN sound better! Am I missing something?
Assuming VOOM implements OTA scanning/manual tuning in the next version, the STB might actually have some resale value as an OTA tuner.

Taron1 said:
Called Voom and asked about buying on of those receivers for 100.00 to add to my existing account, the official statement he read said they would not activate the receiver. The only way to add another receiver is to pay Voom 199.99 to buy and 199.99 for the install.

What a bonehead policy. Not activating boxes sold by third parties means they lose out on programming income from all the boxes sold to people who later canceled Voom. This says something about Voom mentality... shortsighted.

slick1ru2 said:
What a bonehead policy. Not activating boxes sold by third parties means they lose out on programming income from all the boxes sold to people who later canceled Voom. This says something about Voom mentality... shortsighted.

It's more difficult to control QOS when you have boxes floating around that Voom has no control over. I think Voom is doing what they should be doing--keeping the boxes close so they can more efficiently provide the programming services.

cameron119 said:
It's more difficult to control QOS when you have boxes floating around that Voom has no control over. I think Voom is doing what they should be doing--keeping the boxes close so they can more efficiently provide the programming services.
Perfect reason for switching to lease-glad I did it! No useless "doorstop" here when DVR arrives-LOL

cameron119 said:

These are Voom boxes, of which there currently is one type. I have D*. I got the deal for x number free STBs and a DVR for $99. I have a one year agreement to maintain a certain level of programming. If I break it early I pay $150 (or send the boxes back w/o penalty). BUT, the boxes are mine. I can sell them to someone who doesn't want a service agreement. Two of the boxes are Hughes, one is Philips. The next person connects them to a dish and calls a number to get activated. And with E* and D* offering their "moving" plans where you leave the dish and take the STB, the number of their already installed dishes on resold homes will only rise.

How does QOS come into this? You buy a bad box from someone, you go back to them, not Voom.

It boils down to this if you bought your box. You cancel Voom, the boxe is worthless. And, Voom loses out on replacing a customer. Any of the other satellite companies (still in business) doing this?

Even if Voom did allow you to register the box, if they will not give you the standard guarantee then you are buying a boat anchor if the receiver fails.

Bill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts