Voom To Dish Now No Locals

joverstr2

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 20, 2004
Mobile, Al.
Was a Voom sub now with Dish. Installer showed up late and was at my house for over 6 hours. He left my house at 12:30 AM. I was and am still very unhappy. He replaced everything but the arm that the Voom dish was on. He replaced my Winegard Sensor II with some kind of Terk. He did try to keep the Winegard installed but the system would only pick up two sats. When he replaced the OTA antenna he was able to get all 4 sats. When I do a OTA channel scan I get none. If I try to add manually it never gives me a signal strength indication. I'll post some pictures to see if anyone sees anything that stands out.

Attachments

• dish1.jpg
    dish1.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 522
  • dish2.jpg
    dish2.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 554
  • dish3.jpg
    dish3.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 438
  • dish4.jpg
    dish4.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 563
well lets see

-the dish on the overhang is there with 2 screws.....that bugger is a goner with a strong wind
-is there any diplexers involved? Why couldnt they just run the sensor II with a straight shot cable run into the house

hope he didnt take the stuff

Nope, I told him to leave the stuff here with me. That was the Voom installer who originally put up that arm. Diplexors are installed on both 811's. There is a power switch installed on the main receiver. I did notice that when he originally had the Winegard installed that when scanning for local digitals they were showing up. But only two sats was coming in because he used the original diplexor from voom. So then he unhooked the Winegard and put up the Terk and put a bridge in were the original diplexor was for Voom. After that all four sats came in but no locals. Thanks for helping.

First of all the Terk is a piece of junk. Even if it was installed correctly, your chances of good reception would be low. The DP44 switch will not pass the off air signal. If your Winegard was amplified, it received its power via the Voom receiver and a special diplexer. The diplexer in your setup should be placed after the DP44 switch.

I dont think you are going to get this to work without seperate cables....

mainly because the DPP44 requires power to port 1... and its hell to diplex on that port... its going to require 4 diplexors per cable run...

Ant-diplex-----diplex-switch-diplex-------diplex-receiver

and if that antenna receives power it needs to go before the first diplexor...

trust me a strait shot would work wonders.... though that terk is crap

I have a support call logged and they are coming out on the 14th. I made sure to have a field manager come over and look everything over. I would like to have my Winegard back because it was working great. He even wanted to charge me $60 to put up that Terk.

I have an install next week and I'm going to take down the VOOM dish, but I'll let them use the pole for 61.5. I have the best setup right now for OTA 2 outdoor Silver sensors with a combinder. The E* installer better not mess mine OTA setup or else :wave

Can this be done? If I put up my original Winegard and run it into the original Voom diplexor then come out with two feeds to the two 811's ota input, will that work?

Iceberg said:
well lets see

-the dish on the overhang is there with 2 screws.....that bugger is a goner with a strong wind

This happened to me on my first Dish install. He installed it with 2 screws on the overhang. It worked fine for about a year, but then the weight of the dish began to pull down and slightly bent the metal fascia, I noticed more and more picture drop outs. If I went out and pushed the dish back up, the signal improved on the signal strength meter. So thankfully last year when I had Dish come out to install my 61.5 dish, the installer looked at the install and shook his head and re-installed it on the roof. That guy did an excellent job! Since that was done, I have never had a signal loss.

joverstr2 said:
Can this be done? If I put up my original Winegard and run it into the original Voom diplexor then come out with two feeds to the two 811's ota input, will that work?

That would depend on what they used. Some V* installers used a simple 3x4 switch. Some used diplexors, and some used a double diplexor at the dish. The 811 should be on port 2, and you should be able to diplex with power passing diplexors at both ends and no power inserter for the antenna. Do NOT allow a dixplexor on port 1. I've never seen that type of diplexor before. Can you get a better picture of the full face, or at least a manufacturer and part #?

joverstr2 said:

you have another message awaiting you. this should be handled very quickly. the local office will give you a call tomorrow.

Could one of you experienced satellite users educate this novice? My first satellite installation was VoOm, installed January this year, which I had connected only to my plasma HD TV (rest of the house is cable on SD sets). VoOm service was great, but alas it is gone. (I'm on the coast in southeast Georgia, in a dead zone for OTA, so I never got any HD local channels on the VoOm OTA antenna.) I've reviewed the Dish offers, and my questions are:
1. If I go with Dish and want their 180+HBO+Max, their HD Pak, and the VoOm 10, will they have to install a second dish on my roof or just re-aim the VoOm dish?
2. If it is a second dish, will a second coax have to run through the wall, or is some switch available to use the one existing cable?
3. Does Dish Network provide locals via satellite?

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

You HAVE to have a second dish to get V*. As to whether your locals are available, you need to provide us with your location and then we can say what you may or may not need.

larrystotler said:
You HAVE to have a second dish to get V*. As to whether your locals are available, you need to provide us with your location and then we can say what you may or may not need.

Regardless of location, an antenna is mandatory for OTA HDTV with the exception of O&O CBS DMAs.

Cheers,

VoOm to Dish Requirements

Larry, thanks for the reply. I live on Saint Simons Island, GA, in the OTA dead zone between Savannah and Jacksonville. Cable provider is Adelphia, and their service is horrible. So I would hate to depend on Adelphia for HD, but I'm also reluctant to decorate my roof with more than one dish. Just trying to figure out the technical alternatives for receiving various programming.

Miss VaVaVoOm with HD movies and HD soccer!

roachxp said:
I have an install next week and I'm going to take down the VOOM dish, but I'll let them use the pole for 61.5. I have the best setup right now for OTA 2 outdoor Silver sensors with a combinder. The E* installer better not mess mine OTA setup or else :wave
You have tweaked my curiosity. I have never seen "outdoor" Silver Sensors advertised. Did you modify indoor ones to use outdoors?
I would like to try this as I think my HOs assc. wouldn't even notice a silver sensor up there and would eliminate any potential hassles, even tho I know that they couldn't stop me from mounting an external antenna.
A picture or description of how you did it would be extra nice....Thanks...

For what it's worth. Was told that I would recieve a call from the local office manger of Satellites Unlimited and never did. Then, this morning I get a call from the installer wanting to do the service call as I'm on my way to work this morning. The service call I setup through Dish is scheduled for the 14th. I tell him I cannot take off work this week and thus the reason for the 14th appointment. He says sorry and just hangs up on me. I get to work and call the local office manager and explain my situation and he tells me the same tech will have to come out to do the call. He says I should have told him to leave earlier. He was very rude. Hell, I didn't know, I thought they had to finish the job. I do not want that tech in my house or on my property again. As matter of fact I do not want that damn company on my property again. Install was scheduled between 12-5, he shows up at 5:45 and leaves at 12:30 am after I tell him that's it, no more you have to leave. He did not finish the job as I have no locals OTA. I did sign the paperwork but the install is not complete. If I can get another install company to fix this crap I'll stay with Dish, but if it's these morons they can come take all this crap back. Sorry but I just had to vent.