VOOM to produce their own HD Movies

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
This is an excerpt from the 1/10/06 Charlie Chat. Guest Joshua Sapan, President of Rainbow Media. (Para-phrasing) "Rainbow media has been in business for 25 years. We now have 15 Voom HD channels. We now have the largest postproduction in the country in HD. It is HD 100%. We shoot everything in 100% native HD. We are making a big commitment through production and acquisition."

"The New service has already launched. If you purchase the receiver you can receive the service right away. Voom is not done. Voom has what is today the largest library of HD Movies outlet in the country or the world. We have production facility producing material in the world of sports, kids, arts, etc. We are about to begin production of our own HD movies. There will an evolution with brand new programming every week."

Didn't he also say that they "upconvert movies"? That struck me as I don't remember too many upconverted movies on VOOM...

I heard Joshua Suppan before and to me when he speaks about upconvert he is really speaking about the HD transfer. On the VOOM launch someone asked him the same and then he rectified what he said by upconvert --- transfer to HD.

Film -> downconvert to digital transfer and into VOOM HD archives
VOOM HD -> downconvert to 1280x1080 to send to Dish
Dish -> compresses video and sends to Dish receiver
Dish receiver -> decompress & upconvert 1280 to 1920x1080 to send to TV
If TV is 720p, then scale to 1280x720.

Then viewer gets to watch show in "perfect" HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)