VOTE NOW! SatelliteGuys Best of 2013

Who do YOU select as the SatelliteGuys Best of 2013 Award Winner?

• DIRECTV GENIE

Votes: 43 24.9%
  • DISH HOPPER WITH SLING

Votes: 130 75.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
It's that time of the year again for you to help us select the SatelliteGuys Best of 2013 Award Winner!

bestof2013.png

This year the battle is an epic one, and we need YOU to tell us which Whole Home DVR deserves to be named the Best of 2013!

This year the magical 5 tuner DIRECTV Genie takes on DISH's Video Slinging Hopper with Sling!

The vote is open to ALL SatelliteGuys members! To vote you must be logged into your registered and activated SatelliteGuys account. Limit one vote per account. Voting is open until Friday December 13th! Make sure you tell your friends to come vote as well!

The winner will be presented the prestigious SatelliteGuys Best of 2013 Award at the 2014 International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nevada!

(Note: All product names / logos / trademarks used are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with SatelliteGuys)

Voting IS NOW OPEN!

Remember your favorite DVR can't win if you DON'T VOTE! Last year the complaints we got saying that a certain product was going to win.. and those folks who complained DIDN'T VOTE!

BE HONEST AND VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE! :)

This seems tough since the majority of people only have experience with one of them. I'm obviously going to pick the Hopper because I have it and love it but I have never seen or used the genie yet. My opinion is very skewed but may the best DVR win!

Just looking at the DVR itself, not the company or the service, HWS wins. Genie offers more tuners but built in sling is very nice, and Directv software beta testing is a joke. Too many bugs get out in the customer releases. Dish isnt perfect in SW development, but they are a helluva lot better than Directv and the CE program...

The only thing I actually miss right now though is sling, nothing else. 5 tuners is better than 3.

As far as complaining, its quite obvious due to the skew of membership here and number of members, a Directv product has a very hard time winning (If DBS Talk did it the Genie would win). The poll is nice though, makes people think they actually matter ;)

This seems tough since the majority of people only have experience with one of them. I'm obviously going to pick the Hopper because I have it and love it but I have never seen or used the genie yet.
Very true..... This is a popularity contest. Can we bet money somewhere on the winner ? :D

The DBSTalk guys are welcome to come here in vote.

We are getting on better and better terms with DIRECTV every day and I think that will continue moving forward. I think we both realize now that we both made mistakes in the past, and its time to move on and forward. DIRECTV is America's #1 satellite company for a reason and we will do anytime we can and offer any resources we have to promote them and support their customers.

I have no skin in the game for who wins, which is why I think its a good thing to let consumers voice their opinion. :)

Just looking at the DVR itself, not the company or the service, HWS wins. Genie offers more tuners but built in sling is very nice, and Directv software beta testing is a joke. Too many bugs get out in the customer releases. Dish isnt perfect in SW development, but they are a helluva lot better than Directv and the CE program...

The only thing I actually miss right now though is sling, nothing else. 5 tuners is better than 3.

As far as complaining, its quite obvious due to the skew of membership here and number of members, a Directv product has a very hard time winning (If DBS Talk did it the Genie would win). The poll is nice though, makes people think they actually matter ;)

I think Direct would have more support and coverage here if they actually tried to. Direct should utilize this site like Dish does and then you'll see the members increase even more.

I think Direct would have more support and coverage here if they actually tried to. Direct should utilize this site like Dish does and then you'll see the members increase even more.

Maybe. Once you make a name for yourself (Here for Dish, DBS for Directv, AVS for Audio/Video), its hard to gain traction. Sure there are plenty of good smaller forums for Audio and Video, but none will ever be what AVS is.

I could see Sat guys gaining momentum in Directv, but lets face it the only reason I go to that site is for more indepth Directv news thats not here. Its just a fact of life. Other than that Im not a fan of that board, and I also don't like the blind allegiance to the Directv. The CE Program over there is a back slapping happy contest, and they surely didnt like it when I told em recently Directv needed another route for beta testing, because this version sure sucks (software always comes out buggy for the customer). The CE program is actually alpha testing and what regular customers get is beta. Enough ranting from me...

Scott, did you ever get any response from D* when you lobbied them to start a "Dirt-like" program a couple of years ago?

That sure would help. Their current business orientated ($$$) system of having to call in every time I want to make a change is BS, plain and simple. Their account management and built in Sling are two things Dish easily has over Directv.

Scott, did you ever get any response from D* when you lobbied them to start a "Dirt-like" program a couple of years ago?

He did, and shared some of the dialogue, though I can't remember specifics off-hand. Don't they have a "Dirt-like" at DBS?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Hmmm, I didn't know that DISH had a beta program for the public to use ...

I'm not voting, as I feel that if you haven't used both products, you really shouldn't .

The way it is now, its gonna be a popularity contest.

I'm not voting, as I feel that if you haven't used both products, you really shouldn't .

The way it is now, its gonna be a popularity contest.

You have a point. Not like it's the Miss America pageant, where results are based on skill......

Nope.

Too bad too, having DIRT here from DISH has saved the company a TON of money, and has given our members and their customers better support.

I would love to help them get started, we provide the software, the bandwidth and have their customers who need help here. It costs them nothing for this as we foot the bill, they just provide the CSR's.

Hmmm, I didn't know that DISH had a beta program for the public to use ...

I dont know if they do or not, or how they test software. The point, which you missed along with the guys at DBS, is that the Directv CE program doesnt work well at all. Time after time releases are made with new junk, while some of the old junk still doesnt work. Sometimes they break old junk that worked just fine. Dish has bugs, but they seem to methodically address them and get them handled, I saw that on the Hopper and it was a timely fashion.

When you go and say the CE program isnt working, some of the guys that spend all week waiting for Friday get offensive. Sorry for all you hard work, but at the end of it, the software still has a tendency to suck. This is why I state that the CE program is an alpha program, and when it finally hits "customer candidate" and is released, its actually a beta. It's time for them to rethink the process. I got a launch HR34 and had it 11 months. Horrible. The HR44 solved speed problems but they added FW in Oct that started causing recording hangs, live tv hangs, recording pixellation. WTF? It seems to be fixed now, but I just wonder what gets broken next. HR44-200 was released with wifi issues while the techs are told to use wifi. Smart...

Fact is, even without sling, if the Genie programmers could pull their head out of their you know what, Id have voted for it in this poll. Overall I prefer Directv, but in hardware, they do not perform well at times.

Last edited:
I dont know if they do or not, or how they test software. The point, which you missed along with the guys at DBS, is that the Directv CE program doesnt work well at all. Time after time releases are made with new junk, while some of the old junk still doesnt work. Sometimes they break old junk that worked just fine. Dish has bugs, but they seem to methodically address them and get them handled, I saw that on the Hopper and it was a timely fashion.

When you go and say the CE program isnt working, some of the guys that spend all week waiting for Friday get offensive. Sorry for all you hard work, but at the end of it, the software still has a tendency to suck. This is why I state that the CE program is an alpha program, and when it finally hits "customer candidate" and is released, its actually a beta. It's time for them to rethink the process. I got a launch HR34 and had it 11 months. Horrible. The HR44 solved speed problems but they added FW in Oct that started causing recording hangs, live tv hangs, recording pixellation. WTF? It seems to be fixed now, but I just wonder what gets broken next. HR44-200 was released with wifi issues while the techs are told to use wifi. Smart...

Fact is, even without sling, if the Genie programmers could pull their head out of their you know what, Id have voted for it in this poll. Overall I prefer Directv, but in hardware, they do not perform well at times.
Hmm,
I never posted positive one way or the other as far as CE testing goes.

When you say DISH fixes trouble right away, how do they find out about it, subs have to call in ?
Isn't having to call in to tell people about you issues also a hassle ?

Is THIA something the DIRT team addresses ?

Unless people have used both, how can we give an honest assessment? Most will simply vote across "Party Lines".

Sent from my iPad 4 using SatelliteGuys

Status
Not open for further replies.