VPN Providers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Pick a big one with a good reputation and one that has been around for a long time. Your data is passing through their servers and data security should always be a prime concern.

I have strongvpn on one router and it has not missed a beat in years.

I use their cheapest package (~$55/year the last time I looked).

That's the same package I use at StrongVpn, just renewed it last month for another year. Hasn't ever missed a beat for me either. The one time I had a question, their online chat immediately connected and someone had an answer for me immediately that fixed my problem.

That's the same package I use at StrongVpn, just renewed it last month for another year. Hasn't ever missed a beat for me either. The one time I had a question, their online chat immediately connected and someone had an answer for me immediately that fixed my problem.

Unless am mistaken (their site is blocked here), the 55$ package is for PPTP only. Is this what's both of your routers are configured with?

Cheers, K

I pay StrongVPN $85 for OpenVPN that I run on my router. PPTP is almost worthless as a security measure as it has been hacked.

The only time I use PPTP is on my Iphone when I am logging onto a public WiFi AP. Still using PPTP I would never log onto my banking or other critical web sites using a public WiFi site.

Gotta resurect this.
Am done w/ Strong VPN. No complaints/ them except their IPs are based out of "lake tahoe" irrelevant of the city you choose.

Anyone else know a provider that I can install openvpn on a dd-wrt router for a reliable fulltime connection?

Cheers, K

Bump:

Anyone know, or has experience, with a VPN provider that I can install openvpn on a dd-wrt router for a reliable fulltime connection?
Strong VPN is out...online reviews are practically useless.

Cheers, K

What about Unblock-us? I was looking for a way to get around the MLB.tv blackouts when I cut the cord this spring. Unblock-us seems to be the preferred method. Apparently you just use them as your DNS. They only use their server to hide your location and after that everything works as it normally would. Supposedly this gets around the speed decrease that comes with most VPNs. Here is the reddit thread I got all my info from.

http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/comments/1a84nr/anyone_use_a_vpn_for_mlbtv_to_avoid_blackouts/

Edit: Here is unblock's website. http://www.unblock-us.com/

Last edited:
Thanks OSu, ill set up a trial account tonight.
@ king, am trying to get Aereo and Unblock-us doesnt work w/ it. StrongVPN's servers are all
addressed to Lake Tahoe which gets flagged by Aereo.

Yeah, after doing some more research it looks like Unblock-us only works with specific services. They only change your location for the services they support and everything else shows your correct location. They work with a lot of the popular services like MLB.tv, NHL Gamecenter, Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Instant. They don't work with other services except for the ones they specifically list.

That's perfect for my needs because I can just change the DNS on my router and MLB.tv won't give me blackouts on any of my devices without me having to change with settings on them. I don't want the rest of my services to see a location outside of the US because I'm sure that would mess some of them up. I was also worried about reducing my internet speed. I hear that is usually an issue with VPNs but Unblock-us is claiming I will still get my full internet speeds. I will report back on how well this actually works once baseball season starts up.