VVOOM or not with several dishes for FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zepol_wube

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
I have a come across Voom dsr550 which is activated and works for OTA antenna reception. It also has the add-on module over the antenna connections. Very Happy. I also have come across 3 dishes which are less than 6 months old. 1 single LNB DirecTV, 1 triple LNB DirecTV oval, and 1 triple LNB Dish network oval. The direcTV units share a combiner box, and the Dish networks also has a combiner box. When I connect the outputs from the combiner box to the STB and go to setup dish alignment tool no signal is seen, and it wants a satellite id number in the upper right corner of the display.
Question 1: These dishes have not been moved since install, should I be able to see a signal from DirecTV even if Icannot see the programming?
Question 2: Where do I find the satellite ID it wants, it appears to be a numeric only? Do I need it, or when it sees a siginal it will fill it in?
Question 3: Will this work at all if I aim at a FTA satellite like Galaxy 10?
Question 4: This is all in direction to create a pvr, will a PCI HDTV tuner

A little more specific please

Voom only works for voom? I thought voom went out of buisiness, and my ota antenna works on the VOOM DSR550. What does this mean, the reciever needs a special LNB for satellite use? The direcTV LNB is not compatible?..... Please explain further. There were other questions about using the dishes with a pci card to make a PVR, what about those possibilities?

The box you have only worked with the voom service, it will not work with Dish network, Directv or FTA at all.

So to be on the dense side, what are all these people doing with their voom STB receivers if voom is out of business and the boxes do not work for anything else? Only OTA?

zepol_wube said:
So to be on the dense side, what are all these people doing with their voom STB receivers if voom is out of business and the boxes do not work for anything else? Only OTA?
That is correct. VOOM (as a DBS provider) is gone. VOOM HD channels are now available on Dish Network, however the old VOOM receiver (DSR 550) cannot be used to receive them. The box can still be used for OTA, and it is probably one of the least expensive OTA receivers you can buy.

Ilya said:
That is correct. VOOM (as a DBS provider) is gone. VOOM HD channels are now available on Dish Network, however the old VOOM receiver (DSR 550) cannot be used to receive them. The box can still be used for OTA, and it is probably one of the least expensive OTA receivers you can buy.
To add a warning VOOM boxes that were never activated are door stops. They won't even receive OTA signals. If you see one on Ebay that says new in box leave it there it is worthless.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts