Wah wah. DISH is mean!!!!

Ok, this debate is going no where. Ive spoken my mind and views, take it how you will.

Unless I'm missing something, I completely agree with what I'm reading from your posts. You do NOT want a Dish tech messing with your phone lines, due to the possibility of them screwing up your connection,right? If that's the case, then I'm all for that sort of thinking. Dish is in the television biz, not the telephone biz. And as such, it shouldn't be expected for a tech to run/create a phonejack for your home.

And yes, I agree the $5/month fee is a bit nuts; but Dish's logic is that if you want a dual tuner, as opposed to two single tuners, then you'll need to plug it into a phonejack. Otherwise, you'll eat the $5/month fee.

Any time you have a service call or install theres paper work including a contract form, if you have never seen anything until recently then someones forging your name and or writing on the paper work and possibly putting into your account that you have refused to sign paper work.

Never had a service call, etc, until my 2nd ViP622. Installed everything up to then myself. Since 1999 I had a 5000 with HDTV adapter, 2 6000's, two 921's. Now have the 2 Vip622's and one 6000 operating.

Your missing my point all together, Dish installs tv, not phone service and therefor has no right to touch let alone install a phone line in your house. If I want a phone line, I'll contact the professionals that do it for a living AKA the phone company.

Actually since the breakup of ATT back 20+ years ago the phone company has nothing to do with the lines in your house. They own up to the network interface box, the wires on the other side are all yours.

You are free to have whoever you want to work on these lines. If you want someone from the phone company to do it, they will be happy to do so, probably charging a rate close to $200/hour for it....

As a DISH Network Sales Partner and Retailer I agree 100% with what your saying, but its the DNSC installers who cause this problem by not doing their Job by connecting the phone lines properly in the first place.

Heres the issue, as a retailer who does my own installations the disclosure of the phone line penalty is not necessary since my installers will hard wire the phone line. Only question we ask the customer is if they have a home phone, if they have one we leave it at that because my guys are hard wiring a phone line if necessary. If the customer is cell phone only, then the $5 fees are disclosed.

As a sales partner its very fine line, we have to disclose the fact there is a charge if the receivers are not hooked to a phone line but alot of the other sales partners out there will not disclose the no phone line charge because they know that the installers refuse to hook them up and they do not want to loose a sale over a customer worrying about being charged to install a phone jack.

Every Dish Network guideline of business rule that I have ever seen says that the installation of the phone line is part of the standard installation. If im not mistaken it says "Phone lines will be installed in a manner to ensure connectivity over time" which basically means you don't run it accross the floor, and if necessary you install a jack.

As far as im concerned, the installers are not doing their Job when it comes to installing phone lines. Yes the sales partner needs to mention it at the time of sale, but at the same time its the duty of the installer to disclose it to the customer that there will be a penalty for not connecting up the phone lines before the installation even begins.

The installers have a choice on this issue, they can install the phone line as part of the basic installation like all the installation manuals and guidelines say its required, or they can be the bearer of bad news and explain to the customer why they are not hooking it up and the associated fees.

If the installer does not want to be the bad guy to the customer, then hook up the phone lines!

BTW, there is nothing in the business rules or installation guidelines that says its ok to charge the customer if the phone line is not within 25 feet of the receiver. Everything I have read says it needs to be connected and they will charge you back if its not connected.

This crap where the installer puts the phone bypass on the account and does not say anything to the customer is worse than the sales partner not disclosing it to the customer at the time of sale.
Question..Do you charge the customer for the work and material to install the hardwire phone line?...Do you pay your tech for same?...Our company does both whether it is DNSC job or a retail job...
Now, for the nitty gritty.. I am NOT a sales person.. I don't get a sales commission..On DNSC jobs I have neither the time nor the inclination to resell the product..My time is best used doing the work I was assigned..that is to install the system..Quite frankly I am sick and tired of doing the sales partners work for them..I am also disgusted with getting bitched at by DNSC customers avbout sh*t the sales partners left out of the little pitch when they had these people on the phone..On our retail side we are very thourough. Our sales staff is informative and the customer knows up front all the details..No stone is unturned..I would much rather do retail work

You must be kidding... Six months is no more than two college courses. It's criminal to even put someone like that in a courtroom. And good for your professor, let me shake his hand and we can have some drinks.

You're talking about a multi-billion dollar Fortune 500 company that has unlimited resources and who each member of the legal staff makes more on retainer than you'll see in your lifetime. You can be as confident as you like, but unless you have a Juris Doctorate, I'd play by the rules if I were you. Theorterical law and courtroom law are two different things.

In case you're wondering, three years; contract, tort, employment law and counting.
"It's criminal to even put someone like that in a courtroom"...Actually it isn't..A person can represent himself(bad idea) "pro se"......
I think it is dumb to represent yourself..Ya know what they say, " a person that represents themself has a fool for a client".

6 months is 2 Sections with multiple classes.
Criminal? No. Obviously you know that. Not a good idea? Probably not (didn't I mention that already?) (btw, not that it matters, but my contract law education occurred after my court appearances)
I wasn't wondering. Don't care. I know the law well enough for this argument. If there is no meeting of the minds, there is no contract - of course making the argument could prove cumbersome.

I did say "Of course, the cost of doing so would probably be higher (in terms of legal expense, risk, and time in court) than it would be worth." So you tell me, if I spend literally a gazillion dollars on legal expenses to go up against Charlie's attorneys (which by the way, he contracts out his little court cases.. and many of these contracted law firms are bumbling fools who know less about the laws involved than the postman does... and they won't bother to research anything because they are so certain that they are geniuses, and their time is too valuable to be bothered by such research for a trivial few dollars), I won't have the possibility of making the "meeting of the minds" argument in court? Having a judge lecture your opponent in court over this matter really drives this point home.

I stand by my statement as written, and really have nothing more to add/argue about. I don't have anything to prove that I haven't already proven personally, so I'll move by to my corner of the forums :hatsoff:
And if you sign the contract you agree to the terms...And that's that..."The liar liar pants on fire" defense doesn't wash.

"It's criminal to even put someone like that in a courtroom"...Actually it isn't..A person can represent himself(bad idea) "pro se"......
I think it is dumb to represent yourself..Ya know what they say, " a person that represents themself has a fool for a client".

Yeah yeah... I know the saying. I wasn't making a factual statement, it's just a pejorative joke. I.e. Robbing the cradle, shooting yourself in the foot, etc.

How does it screw up your DSL? I have DSL here at my parents house and the phone line has always been connected to the receivers. Never had any problem with it...
I have never heard of this problem..Not to say it cannot happen. But i have not run into this issue...anyway.. Within the E* policy there is no recourse..No phone connection, pay the $5 fee...Dish is unrelenting on this....

Not completely disagreeing with you Claude, but where...EXACTLY...does it say an installer has to install a phone jack? Everything I've ever seen says it's the installer's responsibility to connect the receiver to an existing phone jack...within 25 foot; which is the exact length of phone line that is included with every E* receiver. As you stated, if said phone line crosses over a hallway or is otherwise unaesthetically pleasing...then don't do it.

It's admirable that your installers are doing this. At the same time, it's not an E* rule. I understand and appreciate where you're coming from. You're simply trying to (A) help your customers out and (B) minimize any service calls or chargebacks.

"does it say an installer has to install a phone jack?"..
it does not...Perhaps Claude requires it..That is his choice. Which is fine...

Point Blank, Dish is not a phone company, and its because of that they have no right to touch phone lines. If a dish tech screws up a phone line that causes the phone company to have to come out and fix, who eats that cost, oh yeah let me just say the customer does and not dish. So once again my point is made about this topic.
Interesting observation...True. Untrained personnel should not tamper with the phone interface

Ok, this ones easy to prove.

Phone line working before dish shows up

Phone line not working after tech plays with it trying to hook up for receiver

Now, dish is not going to take fault ever and you know all too well the tech will lie about it as well leaving the customer (myself) to eat the cost. now tell me thats fair.

Dish installs tv, dish does not provide phone service and therfore does not have any authorization to touch phone lines in a house.
First off we don't "play" with phone lines..And plugging a jumper into a phone jack isn't going to effect how it will function.
ANd no I am not going to accept liability for a customers phone line functionality..If they want a hardwire, they sign off all liability. If not, they can call the telco and havwe them do it..Or the third opition, a wireless phone jack...
Bottom line is while I think the charge is crap esp[ecially to those who do not have a land line in their home but itis what it is...The customer has three options...Pay the fee, connect the receiver or don't get the system..

Speculation - To you means that the customer is just making stuff up and we have no rights.

Complaining - This because customers such as myself that are sick to death of crappy work resulting in extra work that myself has to pay for out of pocket which brings me back to your little speculation concept.
I really despise customers like you...You assume or yes, speculate that all techs are screwups..How dare you.....Just because some bozo may have come to your hopme and did a crappy job ,don't you go lumping all of us into your image of a technician.

Round #2 - FIGHT!

Submitted: 7/15/2007 7:08:57 PM
Modified: 7/15/2007 7:09:00 PM
Tim
Clovis, California

I have had Dish Network for a few years now, and for the most part, am happy with them! I do think their customer service people are horrible though.

My 'rip-off report' is about how they continually charge me an extra $5 a month (per reciever) for all of them past the first one. When I got this system I purchased everything through a retailer and installed it myself. I them called Dish to activate programming. So everything in my house belongs to me! Dish charges me $5 lease fee, per receiver past the first, every month.
They of course don't call it a lease fee but something more clever like additional reciever programming or something, due to the fact that they can't charge me a 'LEASE' fee on my own equipement. It ANGERS me that that is in fact what thet are doing though. If I had bought one reciever and leased the others from them my bill would not change!

I have called several times to no avail. All I get told, on the phone, is one excuse after another. Half the time when I call, I either can't understand the people, or I get hung up on. I am not rude on the phone to their people nor do I want to be treated that way! All I want from them is a justification of charging me a lease fee for my equipement and a refund of the monies I have given them in those fees for the 3-4 YRS. I have been a subscriber. I would also like the charges to stop! They act as if they don't nickel and dime you to death (needlessly) they would go bankrupt or something. I think there has to be some sort of way to stop these needless charges, so I think I might have to take things a step further. Their call center obviously isn't there to help anybody but them!

Tim
Clovis, California
U.S.A.

Tim
Clovis, California

I have had Dish Network for a few years now, and for the most part, am happy with them! I do think their customer service people are horrible though.

My 'rip-off report' is about how they continually charge me an extra $5 a month (per reciever) for all of them past the first one. When I got this system I purchased everything through a retailer and installed it myself. I them called Dish to activate programming. So everything in my house belongs to me! Dish charges me $5 lease fee, per receiver past the first, every month.
They of course don't call it a lease fee but something more clever like additional reciever programming or something, due to the fact that they can't charge me a 'LEASE' fee on my own equipement. It ANGERS me that that is in fact what thet are doing though. If I had bought one reciever and leased the others from them my bill would not change!

I have called several times to no avail. All I get told, on the phone, is one excuse after another. Half the time when I call, I either can't understand the people, or I get hung up on. I am not rude on the phone to their people nor do I want to be treated that way! All I want from them is a justification of charging me a lease fee for my equipement and a refund of the monies I have given them in those fees for the 3-4 YRS. I have been a subscriber. I would also like the charges to stop! They act as if they don't nickel and dime you to death (needlessly) they would go bankrupt or something. I think there has to be some sort of way to stop these needless charges, so I think I might have to take things a step further. Their call center obviously isn't there to help anybody but them!

Tim
Clovis, California
U.S.A.

Wow!!

Ok, and here I thought the $5 charge made sense. It offsets the fact that a person would've been charged an extra $5/month if they HAD gotten two single tuners for two rooms. The dual tuner concept is one that gives a customer an opportunity to save that $5, IF they connect it to a phone line. Simple enough, right? I really don't understand how/why people b*tch and moan and complain. Today's society...something for nothing...gimmee, gimmee, gimmee...free, free, free...!!!

Tim
Clovis, California

Tim
Clovis, California
U.S.A.
When a customer whines to me about additional outlet fees I tell them how much Time Warner charges for each digital bo:mad: around $10 per month per box) they shut right up..And that's if that customer can even get extra boxes..many times a customer is tld by TW the digital boxes are out of stock....SO that customer pays for digital cable for 4 tv's and may only be able to watch it on one or two....Now that $5 per month seems like a pretty good deal...So Tim from Clovis,CA ....there's mud in your eye...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)