"Wait & See" on new bill may mess up your chances

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
One interpertation of the new SHVIA seems to be that whatever analog distants you're subscribed to at the "time of enactment" of this new law, affects what your "grandfathered" status is and thus what you may be elegibile for in terms of new HD distant network feeds that DBS brings online.

Does that mean that we should be making sure we're subscribed to all the distant analog nets BEFORE this law gets signed - as in we better be doing it within the next week or so ?

I currently have the Dish locals from the Burlington, Vt DMA along with the Dish HD & AEP programming plus superstations. I also have analog distant feeds of NBC & FOX plus the NY CBSHD channel. Depending on where on my street my physical address is, I may or may not qualify for the analog ABC out of NY. I do qualify but don't currently have the distant analog CBS station.

My point is, if we wait to see the final wording of this bill as it gets signed into law before making any programming adjustments with our provider, it may then be too late for some stations.
WaltinVt

I would add the distants before the new law goes into effect, just to be sure. The new law will more than likely mess any thing up more than help you out. It's much more restrictive.

Hey Walt, just noticed your from Vermont as well. Where abouts? I'm down here in Wallingford. I get Dish top 180, The Hd pak, as well as locals from Burlington. (BFG) What do you think I should do in order to keep my locals, and be able to get any new HD feeds that become available, or will this even be an issue for me? Just want more HD and to be able to keep my locals!!!

The current bill that's active now, allows you to get distants if you're eligible and locals, if your DMA is carried by dish. So I would find an address that gets you both.

The new bill that's about to be signed, denies anyone waivers who have their locals carried by dish and Digital distants will only be available immediately to people who have analog distants. It will take till about 2007 for their digital white model to be created.

I'd like to hear more opinions on this... I could add any of the distants right now, as my service address is on the way outskirts of the Greensboro DMA.. but I do not have any at this time..

Well the extra $6 a month was my thinking I guess..

The one set of G'boro locals are all I really need for analog, but if digital distants were available, I'd probably add them. From what is being said here, that might not be an option if I don't go ahead and pick up the analog distants before the law goes into effect..

I saw a thread indicating it may already be too late to add analog distants for this purpose, but I'd do it - just in case. It'll only be a couple of months till we KNOW what the answers are.

EDIT: This my 2500th post. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)