waiver question (denial)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

loudo

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
I live in Crystal Lake IL (60014) and was thinking about taking the plunge with D* HD and had them do the waiver process for NBC and Fox and both came back Denied!!

So my question is am i screwed until waiting until next year when the new sats go up??

can i "move" to a different location in the city of chicago?

i can give them my aunts address in the city (60631) as my physical address, would that do the trick??

and the last question i have is, can i change my physical address on directv.com or do i have to call in and do it??

any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated, as i want to step into the world of HD but want as many HD channels as possible!!

Thanks in advance

The waiver process takes some time. They contact your local affiliate and if they deem you can receive your locals by antenna then your screwed. The FCC has control on whom get's LA and New York network stations from LA and New York. The reason is advertising revenue. If your watching New York and not your local station the local station feel that their commercials are not being viewed thus your local area not receiving money from the consumer. What the FCC does not realize is that most consumers do not watch commercials. During commercial breaks which can last 2-4 1/2 minutes is when most people get up and goto the bathroom, kitchen, smoke outside or whatever the case. The satellite companies could make a fortune if the FCC allowed everyone that wanted the New York and LA feeds have them. I think most people would like to have access to the New York and LA feeds. I also think the FCC has too much power in this matter. Let's be honest do you si though all those commercials for each station you watch in any given period of your television viewing time? Do you really care about those commercials? I don't and all I want is the tv program I am watching. If I miss that feed in the eastern time zone I would like to have the opportunity to be able to watch it 3 hours later on the West Coast. I think that is what having a satellite system is all about. Having access to stations that the cable companies either won't carry or cannot carry. As far as your address is concerned you can try that. Give them another address that would qualify for your network feeds. DirecTv does not have to know if it's your mothers address, or whom ever your bill will get mailed to. That might be a way around the FCC. You do have to call them and do this on the phone. All in all I like having a satellite dish it's much cheaper than Comcast Cable with better picture and sound quality along with better customer service. Good luck and happy viewing.

In response to the move part, maybe yes, maybe no. Here are the hurdles you have to overcome. Does the spotbeam that sends locals to chicago reach out to crystal lake? Also, does the installation company that is doing you install willing to install in on your house and tell directv it's at another? My suggestion is to ignore al the free dish offers in the paper and go to your phonebook. Call a local retailer and ask if it will work. Directv can't tell where you are watching tv but if the spotbeam doesn't hit your area it really doesn't matter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts