Wal Mart Cuts Blu-ray Selection

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
wal-mart could have the biggest selection in the world, but I would not buy a blu-ray there for 1 simple reason... They keep them all locked up and you have to go hunt and find a employee so you can buy a $19 movie. WTF!

Yeah but how effective is that? That's like some of the people in this thread saying 'so what, i don't shop at Walmart'. That kinda misses the big picture.

Really? Cutthroat business, big chains already in trouble and this hands a competitive advantage to the regional chains.

Yep, I know you and many others are on-line exclusively. However, somebody must be going into those regional rental chains to allow them to stay in business and actually expand. I know that I like to read the box, and often rent stuff that doesn't have 100 copies in stock.

Yeah but how effective is that? That's like some of the people in this thread saying 'so what, i don't shop at Walmart'. That kinda misses the big picture.

Don't get me wrong, I shop at walmart, but only buy movies there if they are a good price and I don't have to go hunt down an employee to open the case. I can get other smaller items of a higher price at walmart without having to have someone unlock the cabinet for me. Just seems silly.

wal-mart could have the biggest selection in the world, but I would not buy a blu-ray there for 1 simple reason... They keep them all locked up and you have to go hunt and find a employee so you can buy a $19 movie. WTF!

You must live in a high theft area. They only lock up the video games here.

Yeah, wife and I avoid a certain Walmart because they have their X-mas 'lock everything up' policies going year round. It's actually saved me a lot of money because I refuse to stand in line and pay for something trivial that shouldn't require those kind of hoops to purchase (not just DVDs).

Don't see how you guys who just shop online, or prefer mom and pop rental stores are missing the fact that Walmart decreasing shelf space and the industry delaying rental copies will still affect you. If it doesn't pay off in the form of more money for the studios/distributors and fix the problems they think it will, then prices for everyone will remain high, chains like Blockbuster who don't have to market because people know 'oh a Transformers 2 commercial, I can go rent it now' will have to market rental availability, costing money, and hurtting that industry that is already in pretty grave shape.

Yeah, wife and I avoid a certain Walmart because they have their X-mas 'lock everything up' policies going year round. It's actually saved me a lot of money because I refuse to stand in line and pay for something trivial that shouldn't require those kind of hoops to purchase (not just DVDs).

Don't see how you guys who just shop online, or prefer mom and pop rental stores are missing the fact that Walmart decreasing shelf space and the industry delaying rental copies will still affect you. If it doesn't pay off in the form of more money for the studios/distributors and fix the problems they think it will, then prices for everyone will remain high, chains like Blockbuster who don't have to market because people know 'oh a Transformers 2 commercial, I can go rent it now' will have to market rental availability, costing money, and hurtting that industry that is already in pretty grave shape.

I agree with you. I think this plan hurts Blockbuster, the studios and the consumer.

Interestingly, it is exactly the opposite of the early days when they tried to market initially at 'rental pricing" of $70/title and then lower the cost later for sell-through.

The studios are still tinkering and trying to get to their eventual goal of $1 for every eyeball watching, every time.

The Wal-Mart in my town puts Blu Rays into individual plastic cases. The good thing is you can still look at them in your hands. The bad things are it takes forever for the one person with the key to come and unlock it after your purchase. The other thing is, they remove the cardboard sleeve. On some of the Blu rays, alot of information is on the sleeve, but not on the case. The sleeves also have some neat metalic or foil pictures on them. Not a big deal, but I like the sleeves.

What pisses me off is when they're not locked up, but they're bundled into stacks with those anti theft things that they put on VCRs/DVD players that looks horrid on them too, well for DVDs it often messes up the cases.

Nice job worrying about security more than providing a good product.

What pisses me off is when they're not locked up, but they're bundled into stacks with those anti theft things that they put on VCRs/DVD players that looks horrid on them too, well for DVDs it often messes up the cases.

Nice job worrying about security more than providing a good product.
Makes it hard to read the packaging and seems to be placed in the same place on every BD...

Everyone must live in a high crime area... Ours just sit on the rack with no protection at all. Well of course they have the inside sensormatic strip which probably would activate an alarm.

And yet, America continues to flock to this place that treats its customers as thieves, its employees as slaves, and its suppliers as subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts