Wall Street is reporting that DISH and T-mobile in Merger talks

Charlie is a fool if he doesn't aquire T-mobile. Comcast has already said they're not interested in T-mobile and thank the lucky stars because they would turn them into a Verizon and Jack prices up.

There's no other suitable company for T-mobile than Dish that I can see.

I read that T-mobile is saying that they are worth more than DISH is willing to pay for it. If that is the case , it would be like the little fish trying to swallow the whale. I still hope that this is all just posturing to get a higher stock price ,because I think that the two would be great together.

No matter how this turns out, my bet is the consumer will be the real loser.

My bet is on Charlie coming out ahead.
I don't know. There are so many failed mergers and failed deals that one person can come up with before there luck runs out. Besides there is a 2017 deadline fast approaching. Add to that the FCC decision to take away his trick to buy bandwith at a cheaper price as a " small company" and you can see his luck is running out.

John Legere says 'there will be consolidation' in the wireless industry and discusses his alleged 'bromance' with Dish CEO Charlie Ergen who he says should be 'panting over T-Mobile.'
See video on CNN Money here:

Here's Why DISH May Abandon Its Wireless Dreams....The FCC has thrown a major monkey wrench into the company's plans. http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...-wireless-dreams.aspx?source=eogyholnk0000001
CEO Charlie Ergen had some realistic but sobering news for investors during the company's second-quarter earnings call.Though the company had a good quarter, reporting a revenue increase to $3.83 billion, compared with $3.69 billion for the corresponding period in 2014, trouble with the Federal Communications Commission may scuttle a major plan. Ergen told investors during the call that a proposed FCC ruling will probably cause DISH do drop plans to enter the wireless industry.Ergen told investors and analysts on the call that the uncertainty the FCC is causing would make it "virtually impossible" for the company to pursue those plans or to make a major acquisition.

Well Charlie needs to just sell his bandwith if he can't do a merger. He has very little time to put it to use before 2017 and he loses it to the government by default.

Charlies last mile dream is being eaten up by municipalities, small private companies, large companies, etc.
10 Billion Fed Dollars on the table to push broadband (25 mbps minimum) into underserved areas. (rural prime satellite areas), which is a double whammy for Dish.The pricing is cheap with NO caps 40-60 bucks, , Charlie may not want/be able to compete at these lowered prices.
This is the reason for some of the lost subscribers in the sat. TV industry.
Curious as to what Dish will do with/without a major carrier merger.

https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-DirecTV-Cooking-Up-Fixed-LTE-Service-132858

http://arstechnica.com/business/201...-60-gigabit-fiber-with-no-taxpayer-subsidies/

http://www.gctelegram.com/news/busi...cle_e59c3b16-ac61-507c-9c75-56451995c664.html

http://qctimes.com/news/local/q-c-c...cle_f875ccb0-35b8-5d3f-ba8e-347a3cc77629.html

http://qctimes.com/news/local/article_4b3c61aa-50ee-5926-ae5a-35e98c57f453.html#.VaBTJGKfXQg.twitter

http://www.broadbandillinois.org/maps/Carrier-Maps/Geneseo-Communications-Services-Inc.html

Well Charlie needs to just sell his bandwith if he can't do a merger. He has very little time to put it to use before 2017 and he loses it to the government by default.

I think Charlie has a problem on his hands.

Something he should have thought about before he decided it was best to start getting rid of retailers both big and small.

After a few multi million dollar lawsuits in all 50 states due by retailers and their failure to follow business laws and violating do not call. Not sure if Dish pressured that, but even still, that's their business and they should have the mind to stand up against violating.

I think Charlie has a problem on his hands.

Something he should have thought about before he decided it was best to start getting rid of retailers both big and small.
Well, I remember that is how he built his company up from a small nothing to what it was by using small retailers. We went to one in Beaumont, to try the service out back in January of 97 and compare it to what we had : Primestar satellite. Without that up close comparison , we wouldn't of continued with satellite at all. Now going on 19 years next January.

Ergan still comes out winning even if he has no choice but to lease or sell his spectrum because he will get boat loads of $$$ for it. He just won't be able to re-invent Dish as a wireless carrier. Meanwhile, Dish is ahead re-inventing itself as an on-line streamer, and as time passes look for improvements at SlingTV such as multiple users, DVR functionality, and fewer limitations. Charlie sure keeps sounding like he see his business being OTT, not satellite.

Ergan still comes out winning even if he has no choice but to lease or sell his spectrum because he will get boat loads of $$$ for it. He just won't be able to re-invent Dish as a wireless carrier. Meanwhile, Dish is ahead re-inventing itself as an on-line streamer, and as time passes look for improvements at SlingTV such as multiple users, DVR functionality, and fewer limitations. Charlie sure keeps sounding like he see his business being OTT, not satellite.

What other choice does he have now if he doesn't invest in the cell phone company, but to improve his OTT app for SLING tv? He needs to make it available on more than a few devices , so everyone can have access to it. The more devices , the more exposure, the more chance SLING tv will catch on and grow. But yes, improvements you list like dvr or cloud ability,multiple users would definitely make it a better service.

What other choice does he have now if he doesn't invest in the cell phone company, but to improve his OTT app for SLING tv? He needs to make it available on more than a few devices , so everyone can have access to it.
It is available on one of the most (the most?) popular IP streaming device.
The more devices , the more exposure, the more chance SLING tv will catch on and grow. But yes, improvements you list like dvr or cloud ability,multiple users would definitely make it a better service.
And more expensive. People seem to forget that the rates and methods of programming access for the channels are set by Dish and the channel providers. The reason for Vue being so much more than Sling is most likely linked directly to the Cloud DVR. Everyone seems to want everything, but just want to pay a lot less.

Reactions: ChadT41
Since the FCC ruled against DISH officially today on the bandwith sale -DISH using a small business break to buy the bandwith at discount price- Charlie has previously said this means he will sell off the bandwith,instead of use it for a cell company. So with no cell partner now and soon to have more money on hand from the sale of the bandwith , I guess that means old Charlie can devote his attention and time on SLING tv. I foresee DISH satellite service will continue to bleed customers each quarter-Bar a Come to Jesus moment -True Ala cart. Now if Charlie is smart, he will try to attract them to SLING tv and he can still count them as a DISH sub anyway, since he counts all video subs as DISH subs, regardless of whether they come from sat or sling.