Wally DVR fee

The Wally has no internal hard drive, so the recordings are already on the external drive.

You can transfer the entire drive from one Wally to another. Other than that, there is nowhere to transfer the recordings to, for the reason I stated above.

To be technical, there is a way to hook both hard drives up to a computer to transfer files from one drive to another, but that might be a more involved process than the average subscriber would be willing to fool with. I suppose you could just clone the entire hard drive to have access to recordings from the same Wally on both Wally at the same time.

You are 100% correct. Forgot we are talking the Wally not a VIP.

Reactions: pattykay
I'm pretty sure I know the answers to these three questions but I better make sure.
1) If I have two Wally receivers each with an external hard drive attached, can I move the drive from one Wally to the other and watch the recordings from one Wally on the other Wally without losing the recordings on either drive?
2) if I attach a third drive to the Wally whose drive has been moved to the other Wally, will the Wally accept the original drive back or will it try to erase the drive?
3) can the drives be swapped between the two Wallys and then back without losing any recordings?

Speaking of fees. I wanted to get my grandmother hooked up on Dish.

My plan is to get her a Wally and the top 120 package. Does a plain Wally have a first reciever fee? I know it would have a one time fee to turn it into a DVR. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

My plan is to get her a Wally and the top 120 package. Does a plain Wally have a first reciever fee? I know it would have a one time fee to turn it into a DVR. Thanks in advance.

No fee (this is wrong) but you may want to look at the Hopper Duo instead
Edit:
As it turns out, I'm not very good at keeping track of new fees. So in this case a Hopper Duo would be cheaper since you wouldn't have to pay the $40 DVR activation fee for the Wally and you wouldn't have to pay for a hard drive either.

Reactions: Gobucks

Yes. For new customers there is a non DVR fee of $5 so a Duo or a Wally are the same price monthly for the first 2 years.

But if you pay the one time $40.00 fee for the Dvr software and add your own external hard drive you don’t have to pay the monthly fee , right?

Nope. The Wally is not considered a DVR receiver so the $5 fee applies whether you attach a hard drive or not.

The price of the new channel packages already includes the Hopper Duo so there's no fee there.

No they don't. The package prices are the package prices. The DVR and/or receiver fees are separate. The only place they're combined is in the ad where they advertise the Duo with the Top120 for 59.95 a month for the first 2 years.

That is to bad they have that fee now. She just needs a regular box. I guess Dish jumped on the first box fee bandwagon. It is what it is. If all else fails she could do DirecTV now. No fees and she has a fire tv and knows how to use it.

Thanks all for the info.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)