Walmart and Blu-Ray

epaul

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Our local Walmart up to a couple of weeks ago had a small display with HD-DVD movies alongside the Blu-Ray movies. When I went in I did not find the display at all?? Kinda looked around and found no Hd players of either flavor.

This weekend I again looked and finally asked a sales clerk where the disks were and they had to practically lead me to them. Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movies stuck in the new arrival section with no signs above stating HD anything. Still no players in stock.

What the heck, is it just our local Walmart or is this widespread. It seems locally they are trying to kill both formats.

As of last week they had a couple HDDVD titles, i went trying to find American Gangster (for fiance, was a gift, didnt care about the $30 price) but they said it sold as quickly as they could put it on the shelves.

They had a bunch of BD, but im not sure id buy there unless im taking advantage of a price match or something against a store that is OOS. Most of their BD discs are being chaffed by a security thing that is on them by title.

Ours was pretty equal in a small section. As of a few weeks ago though, the HD-DVD section has not been replenished and is getting smaller. Still cant get a player here unless you get a PS3 or add on drive.

Ours was pretty equal in a small section. As of a few weeks ago though, the HD-DVD section has not been replenished and is getting smaller. Still cant get a player here unless you get a PS3 or add on drive.

Mine's about the same - didn't really look for players but when I was in there this morning I noticed that they still have some HD-DVD's, but it looks like they're just selling off whatever they had left - many of the slots were empty.

On another note, it seems their BD pricing is on par with some of the other stores now. Pirates was $29.96 - previously I thought all of the Disney stuff was $24 or $25 there...

Strange, my local Walmart sent all the HD & BR movies back, so no more HiDef discs in store. No matter, tho. Who wants to pay $30 a movie, I can do that at Best Buy. :)

Strange, my local Walmart sent all the HD & BR movies back, so no more HiDef discs in store. No matter, tho. Who wants to pay $30 a movie, I can do that at Best Buy. :)

Exactly - if it's not cheaper, there's no reason to get it at Wal-Mart, that's my motto... :D

It's kind of funny, the economics of DVD media. I readily paid $15-$17 each for DVD's when I worked in Tyler, where there is a lot of competition and Wal-Mart would have very competitive prices. When I started work in Nacogdoches, there is little if any competition and all DVD prices are $20-$21 upon release. My DVD purchasing dropped dramatically. I just have a problem with that price point. When I got my PS3 and was really looking forward to BD, I found I just couldn't bring myself to pay $30 for a title, no matter how badly I wanted it. The best solution for me is Netflix.

Still havent dropped here. Doesnt look like people are buying either. New movies are still were they are at when released.

Well, frankly, if one fourth of all HDM sold is still HD DVD, there's little incentive for them to cut prices now. I suspect the prices will drop later. Maybe April. I doubt many HD DVDs will be available in major stores after May.

Well, frankly, if one fourth of all HDM sold is still HD DVD, there's little incentive for them to cut prices now. I suspect the prices will drop later. Maybe April. I doubt many HD DVDs will be available in major stores after May.
Most of us Red Dawn folks are buying online so may be pocito longer... not ruling out BD, but maybe this fall or so for me... (then again I might buy a PS3 in the morning... ;))

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)