maybe sony ISNT the devil?

When they open up BD like that, get back to us, okay? :)

Until then Sony is the Devil incarnate. :mad:

I think taking a BD movie from ps3 to PSP is gonna be great. Will prob get me to buy a psp which are $160 on Amazon.

I own MANY sony products and have in the past. Been very happy with all.

Not blu-ray specific, but I did want to get the reaction of some of the more anti sony types in here. What do you think?

Sony BMG drops copy protection for downloads - Internet - MSNBC.com

Edit: Ok I tried to fix the title, but for some reason it wouldnt let me. Ignore the typo! lol

Nah they are just reacting to the market. Everyone Including MS is dropping DRM on non-subscription downloads.

I bet you the blue Ray Downloads to PSP are DRM'ed to heck and back to avoid lawsuits from studios.

That's music. Unfortunately, video appears to be moving in the opposite direction. Music went from cassette->CD->MP3. (I don't really consider WMA or even AAC to be as successful as MP3!) It skipped over the DRM'd DVD-A and SACD. Video went from DRM free VHS->DVD(region coding, CSS). HD-DVD has less DRM (AACS), but is not DRM free. Blu-Ray has region coding, AACS, BD+, watermarking and puts hexavalent chromium into children's drinking water.

I bet you the blue Ray Downloads to PSP are DRM'ed to heck and back to avoid lawsuits from studios.
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have DRM.
After all, PSP's 368x207 resolution in widescreen kills 96% of the information of the original.
It would be interesting to see the bitrate (filesize). I think it will be something along the lines of a 2CD DivX encode.

DIogen.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have DRM.
After all, PSP's 368x207 resolution in widescreen kills 96% of the information of the original.
It would be interesting to see the bitrate (filesize).

DIogen.

Seems like they'd have something in place to keep from ripping rentals. Granted its no biggie I guess because you paid the rental fee and Im sure you wont be able to put more than one on a psp at a time.

Sounds like some Sony sting operation. Make it easier to copy then we will nail them. I would be very suspicious given their past atrocities.

MMC, (Mandatory) Managed Copy was promissed to be part of the final AACS spec since before
HD/BD launched, shortly after AACS was founded (by Microsoft, Sony, Intel and others).
The spec isn't out yet, but Amir claimed BD+ was cleared in the Managed Copy spec discussion.

But it looks like the meaning of "Managed Copy" has changed.
First, it is NOT a copy of the original in all its audio/video glory.
Second, it is not Mandatory anymore (what Microsoft/Intel were pushing for).

As long as the quality of such a copy is DVD-like or worse, I don't see any value in it.

Diogen.

What behavior in Sony's past would put you at ease about this? The steadfast support of the RIAA and their witch hunts or the DRM rootkit fiasco?

Yeah At least with MS's WGA program, they offer you the chance to buy the program before disabling it, And don't sue because you are a Pirate. :D

OF course WGA sucks, but still different approach to a bad situation.

What behavior in Sony's past would put you at ease about this? The steadfast support of the RIAA and their witch hunts or the DRM rootkit fiasco?
I am not saying they are saints, but why would they make a statement saying they are doing this just to "nail" people later? Nothing like THAT has occured before(that I am aware of). Which is why i said you sound a little paranoid.

I am not saying they are saints, but why would they make a statement saying they are doing this just to "nail" people later? Nothing like THAT has occured before(that I am aware of). Which is why i said you sound a little paranoid.
The RIAA is on the verge of outlawing or at least testing the validity of your right to make a legal backup. And now SOny lifts DRM??? hmmm...

The RIAA is on the verge of outlawing or at least testing the validity of your right to make a legal backup. And now SOny lifts DRM??? hmmm...
I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens

He's 100% correct. A lawyer for the RIAA said even if one makes a copy of a CD for the car or whatever that person is making a copy of a copyrighted product and is breaking the law. Nobody said these guys were logical. They just want to save their horseshoe business.

For all the talk about "tort reform" and the courts being tied up by frivolous lawsuits...the actual fact remains. MOST litigation (over 50 percent or more) is
started by corporations. This country doesnt make anything any more so all they can do is sue to prevent another product that comes out that looks like theirs. Companies are actually suing for PROCESS infringements. What's a process infringement. To make it simple..I put my pants on then 2 socks then 2 shoes. Somebody else does it and I say he's infringing on my patent because I started that process

I think the music industry is just surrendering. No way to lock up the content. The video people still view it as stopable (or at least able to be slowed down). May as well make legal content as friendly as possible to try to attract at least honest people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts