maybe sony ISNT the devil?

I think the music industry is just surrendering. No way to lock up the content. The video people still view it as stopable (or at least able to be slowed down). May as well make legal content as friendly as possible to try to attract at least honest people.

The music industry is not surrendering. They are going after anyone with a CD recorder. In case anyone is wondering ALL of this is about money. I was thinking while I was out about the Warner move and they kept saying in December we'll see what happens in the 4th quarter. Well, everyone is right. Christmas just finished, people got their machines, barely had a chance to buy any discs and they decide the last minute to drop the hammer? I think something was promised them. It doesnt have to be cash. It can be discounts, favors, etc.

...ALL of this is about money.
Exactly!
And it took the RIAA what, 7+ years, to realize that killing Napster was the biggest mistake in their history
The Day the Napster Died

It will take them another couple years to come up with a new business model to maybe make it work.
By then a new generation has grown up that doesn't think music can be had only for money. RIAA got what they deserved...

Hopefully MPAA will be smarter...

Diogen.

Hopefully MPAA will be smarter...

I'm not holding by breath. You can take music and play it at a party or event without any issues. You own it, its your right allowed for you to do it. Not so with movies. If you have a few friends over to watch a movie, you're in violation of the MPAA movie copyright. They want a piece of that showing. You qualify as a theater to them and they want to know the number of people being showed the movie, so they can figure out a price you need to pay. You can get a general coverage for this under an MPLC Umbrella license

Well, they may not hit you on home use with friends, but they do reiterate many times that videos are intended for personal, private, home use only.

I'm not holding by breath.
Me neither.
But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that when internet bandwidth increases two orders of magnitude
(compared to 1995-2000), it will take as much time to download a 700MB movie as it took then to get a 7MB song, i.e. minutes.
And even less brain work is needed to predict what effect those preachings about BD superiority will have when/if this happens.

Diogen.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have DRM.
That turned out to be wrong.
Blu-ray-to-PSP Movie Transfers: How It's Gonna Work

It will be a 1GB file, already existing on the BD disc.
If the encoding is done right, it'll be akin a 2CD DivX/XviD rip of today's DVDs so popular on torrent sites. On the PSP screen it could look very decent.

And having them on the disc will solve one headache: if the file isn't there you can't "rip" it (rental copies probably just won't have this file).

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)