MS to Sony : share the specs or we will sue ya!

akodoreign

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
A twist of Irony that led to my laughter.

MAXCONSOLE - XBOX 360 - Rumor: MS insider on Xbox 360 & Blu-ray

"On to HD-DVD v Blu-ray. MS opposed Blue Ray because Sony supported it, plain and simple. I was in the room when the decision was made. But they hedged their bets by making the Media Player a plug in. They could very quickly have a Blue Ray external plug in just like the HD, if Sony will cooperate."

"Therein lays the rub. MS, one of the worst co's to get info out of to make products compatible, needs Sony to help a competitor do just that - compete with a compatible product that depends on the competitor's intellectual protocol. Sony knows that they cannot justify charging MS a fee that is larger than any other customer. Sony wants to make Blu-Ray ubiquitous so they have shaved down fees as much as possible. So MS must get the same deal as everyone else."

"But Sony wants to control this technology in the gaming space, and prevent success by a competitor in the expansive entertainment markets of this space. Where much of the cash flow for these kinds of products will lie in the coming years from also using gaming consoles as home entertainment media extenders, central to the digital entertainment lifestyle."

"What would you do now if you were Sony? The same thing MS has done over the years. Make the technology intentionally incompatible, withhold information, withhold support for design input to make it compatible, etc."

"We'll see over the next few months. Either MS will come out with a Blu-Ray player, or they will file suit to force Sony to share, in much the same way many others sue MS for the same reasons on Windows compatibility. It will be interesting to watch this unfold."

"Once again, users are caught watching the battle from the sidelines. Unless you make sure you vote with your dollars and put an end to this nonsense by insisting on unified standards across vendors. Kinda like the Blu-Ray fight..."">Xboxfounder has chimed in the comments on Digital Joystick on the developments of HD-DVD/Blu-ray for game systems.

"On to HD-DVD v Blu-ray. MS opposed Blue Ray because Sony supported it, plain and simple. I was in the room when the decision was made. But they hedged their bets by making the Media Player a plug in. They could very quickly have a Blue Ray external plug in just like the HD, if Sony will cooperate."

"Therein lays the rub. MS, one of the worst co's to get info out of to make products compatible, needs Sony to help a competitor do just that - compete with a compatible product that depends on the competitor's intellectual protocol. Sony knows that they cannot justify charging MS a fee that is larger than any other customer. Sony wants to make Blu-Ray ubiquitous so they have shaved down fees as much as possible. So MS must get the same deal as everyone else."

"But Sony wants to control this technology in the gaming space, and prevent success by a competitor in the expansive entertainment markets of this space. Where much of the cash flow for these kinds of products will lie in the coming years from also using gaming consoles as home entertainment media extenders, central to the digital entertainment lifestyle."

"What would you do now if you were Sony? The same thing MS has done over the years. Make the technology intentionally incompatible, withhold information, withhold support for design input to make it compatible, etc."

"We'll see over the next few months. Either MS will come out with a Blu-Ray player, or they will file suit to force Sony to share, in much the same way many others sue MS for the same reasons on Windows compatibility. It will be interesting to watch this unfold."

"Once again, users are caught watching the battle from the sidelines. Unless you make sure you vote with your dollars and put an end to this nonsense by insisting on unified standards across vendors. Kinda like the Blu-Ray fight..."">Xboxfounder has chimed in the comments on Digital Joystick on the developments of HD-DVD/Blu-ray for game systems.

Not sure I understand the article. BDA full specs are available to all licensees. Microsoft just need to license it.

Not sure I understand the article. BDA full specs are available to all licensees. Microsoft just need to license it.

Thats the point, Sony could withhold a license to keep MS competition away. lol, war part 2.

NO, they can't. Open to anyone with a big checkbook. BDA, not Sony.

NO, they can't. Open to anyone with a big checkbook. BDA, not Sony.

Again not my article, I thought it was funny though. I have no Idea what is involved with the licensing of BDA.... So *shrug*

I was just explaining to the other guy what the article was saying :cool:

This goes back to the original BD vs DVD committee. The BD crowd did not want anything to do with the DVD group. They refused to bring BD before the DVD forum for consideration of a standard endorsed by the DVD group, hence the DVD group deciding on HD-DVD. The BD group wanted to control the standard and did not want 200 others trying to change the standard in some way or another (i.e. MS doing things that could cause a delay of the standard and thus delaying the PS3).

Good article.

Microsoft always get face pwnt when it comes to lawsuit.
Remember the crap with ActiveX?
You have to put your mouse over flash and activate it in order to interact with flash.
This should be funny if M/S decides to do that.

This goes back to the original BD vs DVD committee. The BD crowd did not want anything to do with the DVD group. They refused to bring BD before the DVD forum for consideration of a standard endorsed by the DVD group, hence the DVD group deciding on HD-DVD. The BD group wanted to control the standard and did not want 200 others trying to change the standard in some way or another (i.e. MS doing things that could cause a delay of the standard and thus delaying the PS3).

You have your history backwards, The majority of the DVD group wanted BluRay but the sitting chair Toshiba did not want anything to do with it because they did not develope it so they blocked acceptance. At that point the CE manufacturers and Studios who wanted BD seperated from the DVD Group and set up the BDA. At this time their was no HD-DVD on the horizon and this was Toshiba trying to hold off developement of BluRay for HDM. From that point on, Toshiba was basically bucking the rest of the DVD group for acceptance of BD and then came up with HD-DVD. All this is moot now because there is no HD-DVD to cheer for anymore.

That said, M$ surely has the cash to pay for the licenses need to market a BD player for the XBOX360. It will never be used for games on the XBOX360 just as HD-DVD could never be used for games. Now, for the XBOX720? But with M$ pushing for internet based HDM I really believe that the next XBOX will not use a removable drive at all. You will just by your media from M$ directly by-passing your favorite store or internet site and M$ will collect all the money. Even Sony has hinted at the next Playstation not having a removable drive. That would be the next step in developement but internet speeds and connections have to improve drastically for this to happen.

...Toshiba did not want anything to do with it because they did not develope it so they blocked acceptance.
How many more times are you planning to repeat this non-backwards history?

Diogen.

They can't/won't be refused.

Far as Im concerned, M$ and Toshiba can take a long walk off a short......

For someone who claimed neutrality for so long that is a pretty shallow view. Just pointing that out.

How many more times are you planning to repeat this non-backwards history?

Diogen.

Every time you and others get it wrong. I have already posted a timeline on this with referances and you know it because you posted there. Do you really think you and others can rewrite history simply because you are unhappy with the outcome? You have lost, HD-DVD is dead and digital download of HDM is nowhere in sight. Know what is in sight -- a BD player with a future.

Every time you and others get it wrong. I have already posted a timeline on this with referances and you know it because you posted there. Do you really think you and others can rewrite history simply because you are unhappy with the outcome? You have lost, HD-DVD is dead and digital download of HDM is nowhere in sight. Know what is in sight -- a BD player with a future.

Here is the history... at least as far as wiki tells it.

Origins and competition from Blu-ray Disc

Sony started two projects applying the new diodes: UDO (Ultra Density Optical) and DVR Blue (together with Pioneer), a format of rewritable discs which would eventually become Blu-ray (more specifically, BD-RE).[6] The core technologies of the formats are essentially similar. The first DVR Blue prototypes were unveiled at the CEATEC exhibition in October 2000.[7] In February 2002, the project was officially announced as Blu-ray,[8] and the Blu-ray Disc Association was founded by the nine initial members.
The DVD Forum (which was chaired by Toshiba) was deeply split over whether to go with the more expensive blue lasers or not. Although today's Blu-ray Discs appear virtually identical to a standard DVD, when the Blu-ray Discs were initially developed they required a protective caddy to avoid mis-handling by the consumer. (Early CD-Rs also featured a protective caddy for the same purpose.) The Blu-ray prototype's caddy was both expensive and physically different from DVD, posing several problems.[9] In March 2002, the forum voted to approve a proposal endorsed by Warner Bros. and other motion picture studios that involved compressing HD content onto dual-layer DVD-9 discs.[10][11] However, in spite of this decision, the DVD Forum's Steering Committee announced in April that it was pursuing its own blue-laser high-definition solution.[12] In August, Toshiba and NEC announced their competing standard Advanced Optical Disc.[13] It was finally adopted by the DVD forum and renamed to HD DVD the next year,[14] after being voted down twice by Blu-ray Disc Association members, prompting the U.S. Department of Justice to make preliminary investigations into the situation.[15][16] Three new members had to be invited and the voting rules changed before the vote finally passed.[17][18]

"Three new members had to be invited and the voting rules changed before the vote finally passed." :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)