Sony hosing PS3ers.

I never used BC on my 60GB and I probably only used the card slot once. Plus, I rarely charge more than one remote at a time using the USB ports...four ports are excessive. Although the cost reduction (production efficiencies) are is huge BD and cell technologies have matured, I am sure that dropping BC hardware, the card slot, two USB ports, etc., will add up to more than just chump change now that Sony sold 1.2 million units during the holiday season in North America alone.

To be honest, the BC capability made no sense to me. Why would anyone want to play a PS2 game after playing a PS3 games in HD glory? Plus, the odds are pretty good they still have their PS2 still sitting around.

Anyway, I like our 40GB model more than I do the 60GB...does everything I need it to do, perhaps a slight bit quieter (not that noise was an issue), and it was $200 less. Hopefully we'll see a 100GB/$299 model by next Christmas.

How many ways can you twist things around? He was responding to your lambasting of Sony for trying to start making a profit, and now you're lambasting them for not making one.

Not that we needed any more proof, but you're going to complain about Sony no matter what they're doing. The only real question that remains is why do we bother to listen?
The point it they let blood all over the place for a year at least, until they see a victory in sight. Now BD fanboys who are used to paying low prices are in for a shock as Sony enters its profit taking mode, this includes BC with the PS3 which is important to many. It is not a consumer friendly strategy.

I'm not used to any low prices on BD products other than the BOGO's. I don't see sony actually raising the price of the PS3. Last I checked, it was either $399 (no BC) or $499 (BC).

I'm not a game player so I'm completely ignorant, but why didnt they make it backward compatible? Is it like changing from Intel chip to PowerPc? Different machine language? Even so, they SHOULD provide emulation software.

I'm not a game player so I'm completely ignorant, but why didnt they make it backward compatible? Is it like changing from Intel chip to PowerPc? Different machine language? Even so, they SHOULD provide emulation software.

Because installing the PS2 hardware for emulation drove the cost up. So they pulled it. Software emulation is buggy at best so they pulled it for the cheap box.

And they love going back on promises. "PS3 will always be 100% backwards compatible with the PS2". :D

Yepp, this means $699 PS3's everywhere, sony is getting geared to make a profit!

(running around in circles with my hair on fire) :yikes

Yepp, this means $699 PS3's everywhere, sony is getting geared to make a profit!

Um, No way ever. They are still competing with the 360 and Wii. LOL, safe to say PS3 prices them selves will only go down..

Media.... We will have to wait and see :cool:

:D

Just feeding vurbano's gloom and doom. He's the first to nail something he doesnt like in a very bitter way, then first to jump on someone for making a civil comment.

Because installing the PS2 hardware for emulation drove the cost up. So they pulled it. Software emulation is buggy at best so they pulled it for the cheap box.

And they love going back on promises. "PS3 will always be 100% backwards compatible with the PS2". :D

They should've wrote it all in Java....

I think the quote was worse than this actually... it was a statement that backward compatability is a core feature of the Playstation brand.

As a 'have not' (someone without a PS2) 'just buying a PS2 along with the PS3' is not a reasonable solution.

Please place several more 'omg BC doesn't matter' posts by the 'haves' here:

we have a sony store on one of our properties and Sony charges us $849 for a PS3... and we sell them at that price to break even.. believe it or not they are selling

I like this, the PS3 is the fastest HD player on the market at price right now. It is a media center, it plays cool games, it even does this in a fairly quiet manner. But Sony decides to make a 80GB which plays 85% of PS2 games and a 40GB wihich does not play any and we are supposed to care?

I did not buy my PS3 to play PS2 games. I did not buy my PS3 to play DVDs. I did not buy my PS3 to search the internet.

I bought my PS3 to play BluRay movies. I bought my PS3 to play PS3 games. I bought my PS3 to be a media center (especially for pictures of my grandson).

If you feel so bad about not getting a PS3 60gb that will play every PS2 game out there then e-mail me and I will sell you mine for $599.00. Heck, you don't think I am going to knock anything off this baby - it plays every PS2 game so it must be worth more then the 80gb according to this thread!:D

I'm not used to any low prices on BD products other than the BOGO's. I don't see sony actually raising the price of the PS3. Last I checked, it was either $399 (no BC) or $499 (BC).
The comment was software related.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)