Want a rooted Droid X? Don't count on a custom rom.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
The Droid X comes out on Tuesday, and there are reports in the wild that the bootloader on it is encrypted. What does that mean? Well, it means don't expect to be running the latest version of Bugless Beast or jrummy or cyanogen mod on it. Like the Milestone (Droid's twin in the rest of the world), the Droid X is expected to arrive in lock-down mode.

Hackers have been trying to crack the encryption on the Milestone for 7 months with little success.

Apparently it will still be possible to root the phone, and thus to over-clock it, but no customized goodies will follow.

Anyone want to take bets on whether Droid 2 will be locked as well? :(

To Motorola, I say Boo!

For more info, go to Droid-Life:
DROID X Bootloader Locked, Custom ROMs Unlikely? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

BlackHitachi said:
Ewe too bad. The droid X would have been very nice.

I deal without custom Roms but I want to be able to WiFi tether without detection. It will suck if they have gone to that extreme to lock a phone. Wonder if a lawsuit will come just like the Apple Class Action one that was just approved to continued.

I deal without custom Roms but I want to be able to WiFi tether without detection. It will suck if they have gone to that extreme to lock a phone. Wonder if a lawsuit will come just like the Apple Class Action one that was just approved to continued.

no wifi tether with the ability to flash new kernels to the phone how do you do that replace the bootloader with a rooted one.

so it will get root but suck all around for everything else .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)