Want mlb midwest games in Ca.

bertbrains

Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
San francisco, ca.
I am a Dish Network Subscriber and as I live in SF am offered the baseball package for the West Coast; Oakland and SF which I'm clearly not interested in.

I want to know if I can either swap that for say Midwest package or pay an additional fee to receive those games as Iam, a die hard Cardinal fan and wish to see my Redbirds as much as possible.

Last edited:
Dish does not offer the MLB Extra Innings package. On Dish you can only watch games for your local market ONLY (excluding nationally televised of course). If you want to watch out of market teams, then you need to switch providers (DirecTV, many cable provider, FiOS, and U-Verse offer the extra innings package) or sign up for the MLB Online account.

new info re: mlb from other regions

I inquired yesterday ---3/27 --- about swapping my local sports channels (Sf area) for Midwest games and have since discovered that while that is not possible, I could, and did, add on for $5.99 monthly, a package that brings me sports from every region throughout the U.S.

However on my mind, as it must be on that of all Dish Subscribers baseball fans is when they will finally come to terms with the MLB Channel and make it available.

Make yourself heard by letting Dish know that you want that channel available....heck; they've got the NFL, NBA, and NHL channels so why not the MLB Channel?

Charlie has said explicitly that they will NOT carry MLB because the package has too many strings that Dish is not willing to pull.

I inquired yesterday ---3/27 --- about swapping my local sports channels (Sf area) for Midwest games and have since discovered that while that is not possible, I could, and did, add on for $5.99 monthly, a package that brings me sports from every region throughout the U.S.
Sorry to inform you, but that is not true. The package you are speaking of gives you access to out of market RSNs, but ALL pro sports games will be blacked out.

Think about it, if anyone can simply pay only $6 to get all sports from every region in the US, then why would they pay hundreds of dollars for the various sports packs, like EI, CI, LP, ex?

What the CSR told you, or whom ever it was that told you, misinformed you or you misunderstood what they meant.

Just warning you when you are disjointedness when you go to watch your Cardinals only to find out that the game is blacked out for you (which it WILL be).

Last edited:
Make yourself heard by letting Dish know that you want that channel available....heck; they've got the NFL, NBA, and NHL channels so why not the MLB Channel?
Per MLB, any provider who carries the MLB channel MUST also offer their Extra Innings package. Since Dish does not have Extra Innings, then they cannot carry the MLB channel, even if they wanted to.

I'll gladly do without an expensive lost-leader that everyone has to pay for.
That is another thing that is simply wrong that I see repeated over and over. Providers who carry EI have comparable prices for comparable packages to providers that do not. If you compare the prices of similar packages for Direct and Dish, the prices are not that different. In fact, for my particular setup it is actually cheaper for me to go with Direct.

The only advantage Dish has over Direct as far as package prices is the fact that they offer a larger variety of packages and their Everything package is much less expensive. When you start adding extra equipment, then Direct has the advantage.

well dish has the 2 output boxes that saves bucks.

get a friend with high speed internet access in the carried area and give them a slingbox.

preoblem solved very cheaply:)

...However on my mind, as it must be on that of all Dish Subscribers baseball fans is when they will finally come to terms with the MLB Channel and make it available.

As a baseball fan, and specifically a Dodger fan living in Colorado, I have the opportunity to watch 16-19 games on tv not counting when the Dodgers play on ESPN or Saturday afternoon Fox. But I am also one who is not in favor of the MLB channel for a couple of reasons. I don't want to pay for it nor do I think anyone should, and I don't think (at this point) it offers a lot of compelling viewing, in a couple years maybe, but...
If MLB and Dish were able to come to an agreement where MLBN were an al-la-cart channel, then I would be on board. You want it, you rent it. But outside of that. I am okay with watching the Dodgers when they play Colorado, or when they are shown nationally.

Again, for the umpteenth time. You do not have to pay extra for the MLB channel. If Dish adds EI to get the MLB channel, it will not effect the price of the base packages. Again compare comparable packages between providers with EI and without EI and you will see that there is not much difference in price. So again, what do you mean by paying for it?

Plus, I like how those whom have never seen the channel make comments about nothing compelling being on it. This station, especially for starting off, is very compelling. They have been showing at least one spring training game every day, they will be showing at least one game every week, and between their original programming (news, hot stove, Prime 9, 30 in 30, ex) and the classic games, this station is more than worth it for any baseball fan.

Again, for the umpteenth time. You do not have to pay extra for the MLB channel. If Dish adds EI to get the MLB channel, it will not effect the price of the base packages. Again compare comparable packages between providers with EI and without EI and you will see that there is not much difference in price. So again, what do you mean by paying for it?

Plus, I like how those whom have never seen the channel make comments about nothing compelling being on it. This station, especially for starting off, is very compelling. They have been showing at least one spring training game every day, they will be showing at least one game every week, and between their original programming (news, hot stove, Prime 9, 30 in 30, ex) and the classic games, this station is more than worth it for any baseball fan.

I have watched the channel as I stated here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/167056-mlb-tv-5.html#post1750920 and that you replied to here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/167056-mlb-tv-6.html#post1750923 and amazingly after another week of the opportunity to continue to watch the channel, my opinion hasn't changed. Next weekend and the following week, I will have the opportunity again.Again, in a year or two maybe there will be enough on there to watch and keep my attention, but as with the NFL network, I doubt it. At least not much more that I can't get off other channels already offered.
As far as it costing us more, sure it would. Add the channel on Dish, and it would be represented in part of the next price increase. Would it be the cause of an increase if added, no, but a part. Just as past of the price increase each year goes to Dish paying their employees, paying their electric bill, the upkeep on their service vehicles, other channels added over the past year, research and development, property taxes on their offices and CSR call centers, health insurance for their employees...
Or are you saying that when Direct and the rest of the providers that added MLBN and they raised their prices this year, that it had absolutely nothing to do with the cost of the channel?

Or are you saying that when Direct and the rest of the providers that added MLBN and they raised their prices this year, that it had absolutely nothing to do with the cost of the channel?
It has to do with total operating costs, which includes ALL carriage agreements. No matter which channel they add it will cost them more. Interestingly enough, Dish had the HIGHEST rate increase (percentage wise) of either provider and yet they did not add this channel.

IOW, if they added this channel today I doubt your rates will go up any more next year than what they will normally go up by anyway. This is indicated by the fact that there is NO correlation between the price of providers who carry EI and MLBNet and those that don't.

It has to do with total operating costs, which includes ALL carriage agreements. No matter which channel they add it will cost them more. Interestingly enough, Dish had the HIGHEST rate increase (percentage wise) of either provider and yet they did not add this channel.

IOW, if they added this channel today I doubt your rates will go up any more next year than what they will normally go up by anyway. This is indicated by the fact that there is NO correlation between the price of providers who carry EI and MLBNet and those that don't.

congress should give something to the people and require unbundled programming if you want it............

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)