Want to reserve a tuner for a persistent channel

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lnbchris

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
Cleveland
I have an HR44 whole house DVR, and want to keep a specific channel on in one of the rooms.

Problem is, when the channels are recorded or changed from other rooms, this room eventually gets kicked off and just the $&#*$ Directv logo shows.

Any new software tricks to reserve a tuner for a unit, so it doesn't get eaten up by other units as they cycle through tuners, or is that too much to ask for.

mini genie and h25 are both $7 a month
h25 has its own tuner, but can still play recordings from the genie

mini genie and h25 are both $7 a month
h25 has its own tuner, but can still play recordings from the genie

Ok, so far so good I think. Behind the Genie HR44 there is a lime green MSPLIT4r1 splitter, and one unused connector with a terminating resistor screwed on. Would that work if I used that?

it should connect to the same coax as your mini

That's right... I'll have an open connector there.

Were you saying that $7 a month is just for service charge, or is that to rent one? I don't have my bills handy at the moment.

its the receiver fee, rental, ect ect

every receiver is $7 month. it can be a mini, genie, receiver, dvr, ect

by changing to one though, you may be put into a new contract, it could be considered an upgrade

call customer support and see what they can work out for you

its the receiver fee, rental, ect ect

every receiver is $7 month. it can be a mini, genie, receiver, dvr, ect

by changing to one though, you may be put into a new contract, it could be considered an upgrade

call customer support and see what they can work out for you

Okay, thanks for your time.

Okay, thanks for your time.
Don't get talked into the new Genie 2 (HS17), as you can't use the other recvrs with it, clients only if you were to go that way and that defeats what your trying to do.

With the recvrs mentioned earlier (HR24 as well) , they have tuners in them, while a client doesn't ... therefore it gets its info from the HR44.

Don't get talked into the new Genie 2 (HS17), as you can't use the other recvrs with it, clients only if you were to go that way and that defeats what your trying to do.

With the recvrs mentioned earlier (HR24 as well) , they have tuners in them, while a client doesn't ... therefore it gets its info from the HR44.

I looked around a bit and it looks as if I can just purchase an HR25 off eBay for less than $100. Then someone else with similar needs was told it would be ok to get one, as long as the unit was first cleared by Directv, to be an "Owned" unit (rather than a "Leased" unit). This conversation took place back in 2014 though:
Add single receiver without new contract or truck roll?

This would be the best for me, as I am competent enough to replace a Genie Client with an HR25.

It is also stated there would also be a $20 charge for an access card (removable like a SIM card for a cell phone). That contains the unique identifier which gets associated with the customer account.

Now since that access card comes from Directv, I suppose that is a different number than the RID number which is associated with the machine?
(Just trying to get my terminology straight before I attempt to talk to a customer service agent)

I looked around a bit and it looks as if I can just purchase an HR25 off eBay for less than $100. Then someone else with similar needs was told it would be ok to get one, as long as the unit was first cleared by Directv, to be an "Owned" unit (rather than a "Leased" unit). This conversation took place back in 2014 though:
Add single receiver without new contract or truck roll?

This would be the best for me, as I am competent enough to replace a Genie Client with an HR25.

It is also stated there would also be a $20 charge for an access card (removable like a SIM card for a cell phone). That contains the unique identifier which gets associated with the customer account.

Now since that access card comes from Directv, I suppose that is a different number than the RID number which is associated with the machine?
(Just trying to get my terminology straight before I attempt to talk to a customer service agent)
I believe your talking about an H25, not an HR25 ... don't think they ever made a HR25 .... they did make an HR24.
The H25 is SWM only and a recvr only, no DVR involved ...
The HR24 would work with SWM or without it (most all use SWM these days anyways) and the HR24 has a tuner and DVR in it.

As for the $20-$25 whatever, thats for a current Access Card thats required for authentication in the boxes, the RID recvr Id is different.

I believe your talking about an H25, not an HR25 ... don't think they ever made a HR25 .... they did make an HR24.
The H25 is SWM only and a recvr only, no DVR involved ...
The HR24 would work with SWM or without it (most all use SWM these days anyways) and the HR24 has a tuner and DVR in it.

As for the $20-$25 whatever, thats for a current Access Card thats required for authentication in the boxes, the RID recvr Id is different.

Okay. Thanks for that. A receiver-only unit would be fine for my application. That would explain the price break. As long as it stays on, and stays tuned to a certain channel, I couldn't care less. A DVR's recording capabilities would basically go unused. Just something that reliably stays tuned to the same HD channel all the time.

I'm assuming the H25 and HR24 use similarly maintained software interface as the Genie HR44?

Okay. Thanks for that. A receiver-only unit would be fine for my application. That would explain the price break. As long as it stays on, and stays tuned to a certain channel, I couldn't care less. A DVR's recording capabilities would basically go unused. Just something that reliably stays tuned to the same HD channel all the time.

I'm assuming the H25 and HR24 use similarly maintained software interface as the Genie HR44?
The 24/25 are a generation or so behind, so I would say the HR44 is using much newer specs.

So your looking for a H25 (recvr only)
You should have no problem with it staying on and on the same channel ....
Make sure you go into the settings and turn OFF the Power Saving mode, if its active it would turn the unit off after 4 hours.

The 24/25 are a generation or so behind, so I would say the HR44 is using much newer specs.

So your looking for a H25 (recvr only)
You should have no problem with it staying on and on the same channel ....
Make sure you go into the settings and turn OFF the Power Saving mode, if its active it would turn the unit off after 4 hours.

Sounds great! For that price I am willing to give it a try. Best part is I will still have my Genie HR44 to fall back on, so it can't really get any worse.
Thanks!

Okay, so if I were to get one of these things, an SWM-compatible residential unit, would there be an associated extra charge to add it to my service? I would drop a Genie Mini.
directv h25 | eBay

Be careful with EBay.

If your account number is converted to AT&T billing system, you can never activate anything bought on eBay.

I used to sell receivers on eBay until I ran into a few accounts I couldn’t convert.

Be careful with EBay.

If your account number is converted to AT&T billing system, you can never activate anything bought on eBay.

I used to sell receivers on eBay until I ran into a few accounts I couldn’t convert.

Well I haven't gotten around to ordering yet. Any tell-tale way to know if my account number has been converted to AT&T?

Be careful with EBay.

So people who are converted to AT&T billing can't buy an 'owned' receiver and activate it? Guess AT&T is trying to stamp out that 'owned' stuff. They'd still be able to be purchased and used by commercial customers though.

So people who are converted to AT&T billing can't buy an 'owned' receiver and activate it? Guess AT&T is trying to stamp out that 'owned' stuff. They'd still be able to be purchased and used by commercial customers though.

It can be done when the transition is over.

The problem is that the dealers are on the legacy system and don’t have access to the new system yet.

Customer service (800 Directv) is clueless also.

Status
Please reply by conversation.