Want to Restrict Whole Home to 2 out of 3 boxes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kbhouser

Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
San Jose, CA
I recently added a Genie to my accont, and I moved an HR-24 to my mother-in-law's room. She is still adjusting to the DTV menus, having given up both her Tivos. Having shows she didn't record show up on her playlist would only confuse or frustrate her. So, when the installer was here, I asked him to disable whole home on the HR-24. I don't recall exactly what he did, but it was not seeing the playlist from the other two systems.

Fast Forward to yesterday, and we had a short blackout. So the boxes all reboot, and without my knowing, she is now seeing my playlists. Well, she thinks I left all the recordings on there, so she starts deleting them. She doesn't know she can delete whole folders at a time, so after deleting about 20 shows, she comes over and complains about having to clean up her playlist. THis doesn't sound right to me, because there was nothing on her playlist when we moved the box, so I check it out and she is seeing the whole home playlist. Arghhh! She has deleted a whole bunch of my wife's shows. Now my wife is pissed at her mom.

OK, so here is the question. What is the best way to prevent her box from being part of the whole home setup? I have already not shared her playlist with the others, but I have to share my playlists, or my two boxes won't share with each other. I figured if I change the IP address subnets (e.g from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.0.x) in the advanced setup, then it won't get online and won't share. Of of the other boxes was quickly confirmed as disconnected on the screen, and the playlists also switched to locally recorded programs. She won't miss any other the other internet features, like VOD or Pandora, so I figure that may work. However, not sure what will happen after a power outage. Is there a better way? I suppose I could disable remote deletion, but that creates more work for me when I want to delete shows I have seen.

Thanks in advance.

Hardware wise putting in a band stop filter would stop mrv from that receiver. Otherwise going into the settings and whole home and disable sharing would be what the technician did.

You also have an option on the playlist to show other other receivers.. "list" button to bring up the playlist, then the yellow button (I think, it says at the bottom of the screen) to bring up the playlist options.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)