Want to switch to D, but have questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

akaRadar

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
I am a long time dish network sub, but thinking of switching to direct tv. Looks like the PLUS HD DVR package with DIRECTV® HD DVR is a pretty good deal. The programing package shows $49.99/month for 12 months, then $69.99 after 12 months. The HD-DVR comes out to $99 one time fee.
Looks like any HD and/or DVR fees are included plus HD locals.
My first question is, do I have all that information correct?

My second question is about the included professional install. Will the installer install the new dish up on a tower instead of on the house if I request it. I'm afraid there is no good place on the house to see the satellites because of trees, plus I have a really step roof (you can not stand on it).

One last question is about the DVR that I would get. Will it get off the air broadcast or only satellite? I am not familiar with Direct's DVR's.

Thanks

Yes - the Plus HD-DVR package includes all the HD & DVR fees. There is a price increase on 2/27 - it will go to 72.99 / month regular. You would be locked in for two years, #1 at $49.99 and #2 at $69.99 like you said.

Install to a tower is up to the installer, but unusual. I'm not sure they new 5lnb dish (which is much bigger & heavier)

The new HR-21 hd-dvr will not get ota without a seperate box (am21, which comes out in March for $59). The older HR-20 will get ota, but is hard to find right now, and not usually used on new installs. There is no way to request one box or the other, unfortuantely it's luck fo the draw.

If you use a referal you save $50 extra (info at top of the forum in referral thread).
Also - they are giving free premiums for 3 months, and if you are a AAA memeber you can save $10 / month more - all on top of the $49.99 promo. There is a thread about saving $240 that has lots of details.

i am also switching to dtv, the question i have is my dma which is johnstown/altoona pa does not have the hd channels available through dtv, can i automatically qualify for the hd distants from new york or do i have to request waivers. pajer

i am also switching to dtv, the question i have is my dma which is johnstown/altoona pa does not have the hd channels available through dtv, can i automatically qualify for the hd distants from new york or do i have to request waivers. pajer

Plug your address in Enter Address
to see if you can get them, else it's the waiver route. You might want to contact the station directly first of all to see if they even grant waivers, saves you the 30 days to find out you can't get them if D* does it.

Whats your Zip? I got 1 from NY since Scranton Wilkes barre ,at the time didn't have them.

Thanks,

I have ordered the Plus HD-DVR package. Install date is this Tuesday.

If the dish has to look any further down (lower) than my E dish pointing south, than it could be a problem.

We will see.

Thanks again

Yes - the Plus HD-DVR package includes all the HD & DVR fees. There is a price increase on 2/27 - it will go to 72.99 / month regular. You would be locked in for two years, #1 at $49.99 and #2 at $69.99 like you said.

Install to a tower is up to the installer, but unusual. I'm not sure they new 5lnb dish (which is much bigger & heavier)

The new HR-21 hd-dvr will not get ota without a seperate box (am21, which comes out in March for $59). The older HR-20 will get ota, but is hard to find right now, and not usually used on new installs. There is no way to request one box or the other, unfortuantely it's luck fo the draw.

If you use a referal you save $50 extra (info at top of the forum in referral thread).
Also - they are giving free premiums for 3 months, and if you are a AAA memeber you can save $10 / month more - all on top of the $49.99 promo. There is a thread about saving $240 that has lots of details.

If the dish has to look any further down (lower) than my E dish pointing south, than it could be a problem.

I'd have to guess and say you'd be OK since the farthest west DirecTV looks at is 119, which is what a Dish 500 looks at, the other DirecTV sats are at 99,101,103 which are east of there so higher on the horizon.

I'd have to guess and say you'd be OK since the farthest west DirecTV looks at is 119, which is what a Dish 500 looks at, the other DirecTV sats are at 99,101,103 which are east of there so higher on the horizon.

OK thanks. I may be OK then.

I have another question, I forgot to ask while ordering.
Will my DVR be repaired by Dtv if it breaks? I own my E receivers, but leasing from D.

Thanks

OK thanks. I may be OK then.

I have another question, I forgot to ask while ordering.
Will my DVR be repaired by Dtv if it breaks? I own my E receivers, but leasing from D.

Thanks

I hear conflicting stories on what happens, some say they're replaced no problem, others say a $20 shipping charge and others a charge and your commitment is started over. If you go with the protection plan then no shipping/commitment change and it also covers any switches/dish realignment and cabling.

Thanks much for your replies.
Can't wait to be able to compare D* & E* before I cancel E*.
Hope I got my D's and E's right, I get confused sometimes :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)