Want to Switch to D* but need input on Genie, clients

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sandtuck

Original poster
Mar 21, 2013
Meridian, MS
After an aggrevating episode with Dish, I wanted to switch to Directv today with Genie and three clients, but I just saw some disturbing posts on another, less trusted, site about chronic problems with the Genie + client setups. Many complained that it required constant resets, extreme response delays on the clients, and little help from Directv support. Can anyone give me an honest evaluation of how well this setup is working and how the client fed TV's work and their reliability? Do they work exactly like the main DVR channel for the most part? How aggrevating are they to use. I really need your input. I've been with Dish since '97 and don't want to change and regret it. Any valid input is appreciated. Also, how well does the OTA receiver interface with the Genie and clients?

We have the HR34 Genie and two C31 clients. We only had syncing issues the first few days but since then (it has been nearly 3 months since install) the system seems to be running just fine. I do not have the OTA module but from what I have read here the clients will be able to see the OTA channels in the guide and tune to them.

The interface on the clients is the exact same as what you will see on the Genie itself.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

Last edited:
The clients are a bit laggy imo, i would wait it out another month or two, suposidly the hr44 / c41 are making debuts in april. I personally would have rathered a receiver over the client, but having dvr functionality is nice too. Win some lose some, theres more good than bad for sure.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

I believe with D* when you use the OTA tuner it "replaces" a sat tuner.

@navychop i believe this holds true to recordings, but i dont have an am21 so im not sure, and cant test, but i feel ive read that here before.

I just switched from Dish (3yr customer transferred from DirecTV we had for 7 yrs), and I like the Genie way better than the DISH standard def DVR we had. The only thing I don't like is that now we have both D* and E* dishes on our roof and that their OnDemand is in SD (still better than DISH's "DISH Recommends" with 4-5 shows autosaved to the DVR).

Shoulda tipped your installer to remove the old dish. You could always hire a local person to get it taken care of.

I wasn't home when they did the install, my mom was and I guess she didn't care, but hey it's her house I'm only paying the DirecTV bill.

My aunt wants to switch to D* and wants me to handle it for her next week. She wouldn't like anything super buggy but she can handle a little wonkiness. I can't decide whether to go for the Geni and 2 clients or couple of DVRs and a receiver. Another question: she currently has TWC and has coax to living and master bedroom. Just had new flat panels installed in living and guest room (for me, lol). There's no coax going to the guest room. Will running this line be part of the install or will it be wireless? She will keep her TWC Internet, which is way better than the cable. I'm worried the coax is too old for D* (wrong type). How do I tell what kind it is and is an extra charge for that really huge?

As for the new HR44- is that expected to be less buggy? What makes it different from the Geni? I've read about it all but just can't keep the latest info straight for when I talk to her and D*. i wish I had known half this stuff when my apartment building was forced to switch to D*.

Also, the master BR still has an SDTV. Can she still have an HD receiver/client set up so she'll be ready for the new tv in there? I know we need to get everything she might want when we sign up. An installer/reseller at the fair said he will match the Costco deal and I'm hoping to stack the referral discount on top. I know that's tricky to do, if at all. What's the best timing for trying to get both?

Please feel free to add anything else you guys might find helpful. I want to do right by her. Thanks a lot, in advance.

I believe with D* when you use the OTA tuner it "replaces" a sat tuner.

correct. You still have 5 tuners but the AM21 only can use 2 of them (as that is all that is in there)

so recording options would be (maximum)
0 OTA 5 sat
1 OTA 4 sat
2 OTA 3 sat

As for the new HR44- is that expected to be less buggy? What makes it different from the Geni? I've read about it all but just can't keep the latest info straight for when I talk to her and D*. i wish I had known half this stuff when my apartment building was forced to switch to D*.
the HR44 is still going to be called Genie. Here is the differences
Wifi, supposed faster processor, fanless design (although there is an "emergency" fan), External power supply and a little bit Smaller.
Also, the master BR still has an SDTV. Can she still have an HD receiver/client set up so she'll be ready for the new tv in there?
yes

I'm not sure I like the fanless design. Especially after having an electronic item die from the heat. Are people (Satellite Guys) thinking its a good idea?

I'm not sure I like the fanless design. Especially after having an electronic item die from the heat. Are people (Satellite Guys) thinking its a good idea?
Its not Fanless, As Ice Stated it has a back up fan, incase it gets too hot

Most times the Power supply is where most all the heat is generated and as Ice said that is external like the H25's
HR44 -700
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=211822
HR44 -500
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=212351
C41
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=212402

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)