Want to Switch To Directv, need help with costs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bmh2208

Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Hi All!

Long time member, but haven't been here in years. I am finally fed up with our local cable company (suddenlink). They switched over guides on our boxes (to TVGuide), and it is absolutely horrible. I want to go ahead and get on Directv, but am a little uneasy about the high startup costs versus dish network. I had Dish many years ago, and still don't like the hardware and guide. So I have decided on Directv. With that being said, this is what I am looking at:

This is from the online ordering so you can see what I want:

Startup Costs
HD Receiver
$99.00
Qty=2 HD DVR Receiver
$398.00
Instant rebate for receiver
-$199.00
Equipment Delivery
$0.00
Professional Installation
$0.00
Total:
$298.00

First Month's Bill
CHOICE XTRA + HD DVR
$75.99
DVR Service
Included
HD Access
Included
Monthly rebate for package *
-$16.00
Monthly rebate for online redemption **
-$5.00
HBO
$14.99
Starz Super Pack
$11.01
SHOWTIME UNLIMITED
$10.00
Lease Fee
$10.00
3 month instant rebate for HBO, Starz!, and SHOWTIME
-$36.00
Total:
$64.99

I don't really care about the HBO stuff so I will drop that once the free promotion ends. What I really need to know is what the $64.99 really ends up being on the bill once all the fees and taxes are added. Is it around $80 or $90 per month. An exact amount would be great so that I can update my cable versus spreadsheet that I am working on.

The next thing, is has anyone gotten Direct to give them a deal on the hardware. Since you are basically leasing the receivers already, I don't want to pay for any hardware.

I really want to switch, but I can't justify the high startup costs.

Any ideas?

Cheers and thanks !

$85.99 for a 3 Room HD system with the Choice HD/DVR pack. Taxes depend on your state. In my State its 6% sales tax. But some state have no tax and some have Satellite tax and sales tax.

Pick up the phone and give them a call, if that is not to mush trouble, and see what they can tell you. They know better then we do what it will cost and what units will cost you.

AAA discount saves you $240

minus the cost of AAA for 2 years if not already a member. (still saves you a bunch)
I signed up just to get the discount cost me $20 for the first year and $59 for the second. Still an extra $161 in savings for me.
Also the second HD receiver is free or second HD DVR is only $99.
You have to call the AAA number though 1-800-242-9114
I also got Showtime free for a year but don't know if that was exclusive to AAA signups.

Free DVR's have to do with your length of time as a customer, how good you are about paying your bills, subscribing to premium movie and sports packages, etc.

I've been a directv sub since 1995 and have had the top premium package most of the time and the sunday ticket most years since it was offered. When I called to go from the directivo's to HR DVR's, they gave me one DVR free, another one for $99 with a $10 credit for 12 months, free dvr service for a year, free HD service for a year, free HBO/Starz for three months and free showtime for six months, plus free installation of the slimline dish.

I think thats the best deal I've seen, but I dont think you could get two free dvr's as a new customer.

If you're a Costco member...

Signed up at the Costco store...

I got free HD DVR and 2 free standard def receivers, no installation fee and discounts on the first year of service. I paid $0 to get started.

Calll Direct TV and tell them you want to sitch. I'm sure they will be than happy to help you.

Hi All!

Long time member, but haven't been here in years. I am finally fed up with our local cable company (suddenlink). They switched over guides on our boxes (to TVGuide), and it is absolutely horrible. I want to go ahead and get on Directv, but am a little uneasy about the high startup costs versus dish network. I had Dish many years ago, and still don't like the hardware and guide. So I have decided on Directv. With that being said, this is what I am looking at:

This is from the online ordering so you can see what I want:

Startup Costs
HD Receiver
$99.00
Qty=2 HD DVR Receiver
$398.00
Instant rebate for receiver
-$199.00
Equipment Delivery
$0.00
Professional Installation
$0.00
Total:
$298.00

First Month's Bill
CHOICE XTRA + HD DVR
$75.99
DVR Service
Included
HD Access
Included
Monthly rebate for package *
-$16.00
Monthly rebate for online redemption **
-$5.00
HBO
$14.99
Starz Super Pack
$11.01
SHOWTIME UNLIMITED
$10.00
Lease Fee
$10.00
3 month instant rebate for HBO, Starz!, and SHOWTIME
-$36.00
Total:
$64.99

I don't really care about the HBO stuff so I will drop that once the free promotion ends. What I really need to know is what the $64.99 really ends up being on the bill once all the fees and taxes are added. Is it around $80 or $90 per month. An exact amount would be great so that I can update my cable versus spreadsheet that I am working on.

The next thing, is has anyone gotten Direct to give them a deal on the hardware. Since you are basically leasing the receivers already, I don't want to pay for any hardware.

I really want to switch, but I can't justify the high startup costs.

Any ideas?

Cheers and thanks !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)