Wanting another receiver... requesting advice!

MisterLas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Flemington, WV
Hey all,

Just added an HDTV in the bedroom and looking to add a 2nd HD-DVR Box. I have a few options here....

1. Buy a vip622 used.
2. Lease a vip722 new.
3. Lease a vip612 new.

I understand that if I purchase, I won't have sign another contract, but I will still have to pay the HD receiver fee and the DVR fee (roughly $13 a month). Does purchasing save me anything other than a 2 year commitment?

If I lease, should I go for the 612 or the 722? I don't really need that TV2 output yet, but if it doesn't cost me anything extra, why not have it, right?

We live in a 2 bedroom house. 1 vip722 in the living room currently controlling the bigscreen in there, and the new lcd in the bedroom. Our 2nd bedroom needs remodeled and I haven't had a chance to do it. I even thought about having a cable drop in the office (to have it on my PC via tv tuner). Should I keep my 722 and get another 722 for the bedroom that way I will have access to 2 HD sets (LR and MBR) and have 2 SDs (office and 2nd BR)?

Is there any benefit to having the 612 over the 722? Or does it just have to do with the fact that I will have 4 tuners on the account and if I go to add an LCD in the spare bedroom, it may cause problems adding another HD tuner? Advice anyone? Comments/input?

Thanks!

I would go the lease route. It will still cost out of pocket, but not near as much if you purchased. A leased receiver can be replaced if it goes bad, so can a purchased one if you have dhpp. The 612 does not have any extra fees if a phone or broadband connection is not connected. I think, not 100% sure but the 612 has a slightly smaller hard drive.

Thanks for the input, startdust. I was thinking that the 722 was $150 installed ($100 shipped), but it turns out the 622 is $150 installed and the 722 is $200 installed, while the 612 is only $100 installed.

I might go with the 612 and deal with the spare bedroom when that time comes. Also, I just figured that I could split the office (computer tv tuner) and the spare bedroom off the same line and just get a 2nd remote (both would be TV2 from the living room box). That might work.

As for it not being connected, I am 20 feet away from my networking closet. So no big deal there.

According to the PDFs of Dish's site, the 622 and 612 have the same recording capacity. So I believe you are correct on that matter, but I will probably end up getting a 2nd externalHD so I can move recordings from 1 box to the other... Man, I wish that whole house solution was completed!

That is a thought. Mirror tv2 from 722 to spare bedroom and office. With the uhf remote it will change channels at either location. The 612 is a good choice, it can still watch one thing and record another at the same time. This will leave option open for 4th tuner down the road.

Maybe someone can answer this for me too... The 612 can record 2 HD programs at once... Does that mean it has 2 tuners? Or does it only count for 1?

Or when it says it can record 2 hd programs at once, does that refer to 1 sat and 1 ota? Or any combination of the 2? I dont have OTA, I don't care for that. I just want to be able to record 2 hd programs over sat. Thanks!

Maybe someone can answer this for me too... The 612 can record 2 HD programs at once... Does that mean it has 2 tuners? Or does it only count for 1?

Or when it says it can record 2 hd programs at once, does that refer to 1 sat and 1 ota? Or any combination of the 2? I dont have OTA, I don't care for that. I just want to be able to record 2 hd programs over sat. Thanks!

It has 2 tuners (3 if you count the OTA), but because it doesn't support 2 TVs, E* only counts it as a single tuner when you lease it. The only thing you get with a 722 over a 612 is the TV2 capability and PIP.

I just leased a 612 and use it on the TV I never PIP. My 722 went where I will use PIP.

I just added a 722 for bedroom - leased. So now have 622 for Liv Room, 722 in Bed room. I always use single mode (would/will never use dual mode for any of my main TVs) because I want 2 tuner capability on each TV. Also, want PIP (can't for the life of me figure out why the 612 has no PIP), so the 612 is not acceptable.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I will only do PIP in the living room (722), so the 612 should suffice in the bedroom.

Now the only question is... I have to "move" back home. How long should I wait before placing the order?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts