wanting to watch youtube.com on the TV

MikeCTM2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
02 530i sport
My aunt has given me the task of getting her TV set-up where she can watch videos of off youtube.com and so on. we want to be able to stream Internet Videos to watch on the TV. We have Charter Cable What is the best equipment? she wants to be able to go to any Site and watch video, like Three Angels Broadcasting Network (3ABN): Christian Television, Radio, Music, Books or theox.org blip.tv (she's telling me these urls here )

I have no idea yet about any of this stuff. We're kinda Apple people, writing on an iMac now, so would "the Apple TV Box" (as i guess it's called ) do all this ?

from southern california, thanks

I think the Boxee Box would be your best bet, as it has a full WebKit flash browser. The Apple TV has a YouTube app, but you can't go to websites other than YouTube.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Is it possible the best way is via computer watched through the TV? That has become my solution for several things. I have an older desktop computer attached to the TV and use a wireless mouse or wireless keyboard. She can have them all in a favorites list and simply click. I also have a Roku for other programming but it does not have You tube or most of the other sites you talk about. You can find very inexpensive computers possibly used that will to just fine.

I know someone that uses Wii to get on youtube but its slow and awkward. Don't know how these other boxes with youtube on them compare to that. Computer connected to a television is probably the best way to go. Make sure that both the television and the computer both have DVI or HDMI connectors.

For the price you can't beat a WDTV Live.We have a WDTV Live plus.Netflix,Youtube,several others plus you can stream from your own network mp3's avi's dvd iso's.

I picked up a Sony SMP-N200 yesterday, and it has access to Youtube, as well as Netflix, vudu, hulu plus, amazon, pandora, slacker, cinema now, 3D videoand much more.
You can find one for $68-78.

PlayOn is another option that uses computer to access the on-line content you want and streams it using your home network to your a DLNA compliant device (TV, Blu-ray player, set-top-box like some satellite or cable boxes, etc.) that is connected to your TV for viewing there. The advantage to this is that any content that be accessed on the web using your computer, can be sent to your TV without being dependent on a Roku or Smart TV or other device having to have the app or specific option listed on the menu.

As mentioned Boxee Box is another alternative as it can access just about anything on the web without a PC, but it is expensive and some have had buggy experiences. Those seem like your best 2 options. Good luck.

A Google TV Revue unit will do that if you can find one. Especially if she is only interested in YouTube. If she is interested in more media content like CBS, network tv shows via hulu and other various video content you could check out PlayON media server. It would use her PC to transcode the online video and stream it to her TV via a client (or her TV if it's has DLNA support and supports the PlayON format)

Sounds like your aunt may not have much experience in this area so I would say go with a unit like the Boxee Box/WDTV Live/Google TV if her computer isn't close to the TV set. If it's close to the TV and if it's HDTV and HDMI compatible I would say just upgrade her Video Card and configure it to mirror the desktop on the TV set, or extend the desktop onto the TV set.