Warning: Dish not replacing failed 921's

BarryO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 11, 2003
BEWARE:

Several folks have reported on-line that Dish is unwilling, or unable, to replace failed 921's.

Case in point: Mine died several weeks ago. Everytime I call, I am told a delivery date that is two business days after I call; e.g., yesterday I was told it would be the 12th. In each case, this has proven to be untrue. It appears they are intentionally misleading me every time I talk to them.

I caution any of you thinking about acquiring an 921 that you may find out, like we have, that Dish is not honoring its warranty obligations on the 921. You will end up having paid $1000 for nothing.

BarryO said:
BEWARE:

Several folks have reported on-line that Dish is unwilling, or unable, to replace failed 921's.

Case in point: Mine died several weeks ago. Everytime I call, I am told a delivery date that is two business days after I call; e.g., yesterday I was told it would be the 12th. In each case, this has proven to be untrue. It appears they are intentionally misleading me every time I talk to them.

I caution any of you thinking about acquiring an 921 that you may find out, like we have, that Dish is not honoring its warranty obligations on the 921. You will end up having paid $1000 for nothing.

Barry,

I think they will honor the warranty. They are back-ordered due to some hardware change. That was hear say from a tech at Dish.

fox

I had a blue line problem with my 921 and they promised me a replacement unit, well while I was waiting for the refurbished unit my blue line cleared up, I called them and told them that it cleared up and they said I could return which ever unit I wanted to, well after two weeks I never got my replacement, I called them and they said I canceled the unit. I never did that, besides I called them on the 29th and that is when they said they shipped it that day, they said I canceled on the 6th(Saturday) Totally a lie, it should have came anyway if they had sent it, it should have been in transit.
I will raise hell if they don't honor broken or not working items, not good business at all. The units seems to be fine still.

Alex

No 921's will be shipped until the hardware fix is finalized. That is currently scheduled for April 11th, a date that may change.

No 921's will be shipped until the hardware fix is finalized.

Then why were some 921's shipped this week ?

Spoke with retail scvs.last week.They told me that 921's are on a Q.C.hold for an unspecified length of time.I have several back ordered.Have had no problems with 921's in the field.If you have had some problems e-mail me...I would like to hear about them.

April 11 th you say? Hmm HD Tivo should be on the street by then with plenty of reviews on-line. Choices, choices.

Hmmm....

I was supposed to receive my replacement 2 days ago...
they said that they no longer fix yours and send it back to you, but rather everything is advance replacement...so I could easily get saddled with someone else's junk receiver that's been "factory-renewed". I'd really rather they just patch mine...at least I KNOW it only has the blue-line problem.

At any rate...still don't have the replacement, which makes me wonder.
hmmmm.
-NICK

I sent my 921 in on March 1st, and I was told it would be a 1-2 day repair and then they'd overnight it back to me. A week and a half later, my unit was still sitting on a shelf with the repair "on hold" with no word about how much longer it would be before the repair would be completed. I finally told them to ship it back to me, which they did promptly. So, I now have my original 921 back, but the blue line problem is not fixed. They told me they would let me know when they could complete the repairs, but it has been another full week and I haven't heard a thing. I'm really glad I didn't let it continue sitting there...

In some ways, I'm glad to hear they have switched to advanced replacement -- I wouldn't want to be without my unit again for some indeterminant length of time. On the other hand, I've got a whole bunch of stuff on the disk and a bunch of timers programmed in, and it'd be a real pain to do that all over again on a new unit.. :/

I am sure glad that I decided to wait for the 921 to become stable and bug free before I get one. If it is any thing like the 721, I guess I will be buying one a couple of years from now. The 721 was the most expensive receiver I have ever bought and it sure chapped my ass to go through all those bugs, but now operation is very stable and reliable. I guess when you buy the latest Dish receiver there will be a lot of torture involved before it will operate as promised.

Well, after being repeatedly misled by CSR's that the replacement had "just shipped", and delivery was only two days away (which like tommorrow, never comes) I finally got a response late last week and early this week (email and voicemails while I was out of town) saying shipments were on hold and I'd get one as soon as they were ready.

That explains why I didn't get a replacement. It doesn't explain the story that many Dish CSR's, including supervisors, gave to me. Things would have been alot simpler and less-stressful for everyone if Dish had just instructed their CSRs to give out honest, accurate information in the first place.

My wife called today and said UPS dropped off a big red Dish Network box today, so it looks like they're finally shipping out replacements for failed units.

I think this is a hopeful sign for those of you still waiting on new ones.

It's raining today, and given the 921's apparent intolerance to a glitch during software donwnload, I think I'll wait until the skies clear before hooking up the new one. My reception is fine, but I might even re-peak the dish alignment, too. 'don't want to take any chances with this one.

Rick1153 said:
My replacement 921 arrived on Thursday. It is a new unit and is working fine.
Got mine Friday.....working perfectly! I know it's just a receiver, but everyone is passionate about their toys.

fox200 said:
Got mine Friday.....working perfectly! I know it's just a receiver, but everyone is passionate about their toys.
By "working perfectly", do you mean that it is also recording OTA HD programs, and that all OTA features seem to be fixed? Or that the stuff that had kind of worked before is now working?

thx

- martincva

I get all the commercial networks OTA in digital high definition (when available) from my local broadcast stations. I use a Master Channel 153" boom on the roof. The OTA tuner is stable and recording fine after testing it out many times over last nite and today. I subscribe to Dish locals only for the guide. I'm not sure about all the bugs before this release. All I know is that I set the receiver to record something OTA and it works. No more lock-ups or re-boots like before.

Any way to xfer content between two 921s

I'm pretty sure the simple anser is "no," but I thought I would post my question on the off chance I'm wrong :)

My 921 had the blue line problem--I sne tit back, and Dish "fixed" it. Now I have a red line and green line problem (they probably should have worked on the R and the G and not just the B) on the component output.

In any case, my replacement options (as I understand them from this forum) are to have an advance replacement unit sent to me. (The blue line address guys told me to deal with normal CSRs--I guess they aren't dealing with this any more).

So, when the new/refurb unit arrives (assuming it actually does), there is not a way to digitally xfer the recorded content, etc. to the new unit--correct? (The firewire port would be a nice tool for doing this!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)