Warning for New Installs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jgs456

Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
I ordered Direct TV and had my appt scheduled for tomorrow and received 3 confirmation calls on Tuesday, Wed & Thursday. I felt pretty confident with the follow-up from Direct TV that I cancelled my Uverse and had the equipment pulled. Now less than 24 hrs before install, I received a call saying that my Direct TV appt would have to be rescheduled to due to lack of available equipment. When I spoke to the installer about rescheduling, I was given another date in less than 5 days. However she said she was being honest with me and so wanted to let me know that they had customers that were now on their 3rd & 4th install date and they still didnt have the equipment. I spoke to the Direct TV supervisor who also said they could reschedule, but was not sure if they would have any equipment available.

With no real idea when an install could occur and the aggravation that comes with scheduling an appointment and then having it cancelled at the last minute, I guess I am just going to cancel and ask to see if Uverse can be reinstalled. So for everyone ordering Direct TV with HD boxes, please be aware there is a shortage and be prepared for your install not to occur on your scheduled date. I am very disappointed because I was looking forward to DirectTV.

Jsg,
Where are you located ?

Did AT&T turn your service off already ?
Note: Never turn off service till you have the new service.
Chances are you will have a reconnect fee to turn the U Verse back on.

IF they turned it off today, call back quickly and they might be able to turn back on tomorrow.
Then again, if they think your just gonna turn it off again a day or two later ....

Have you returned your equipment ?

Btw, like Stardust said, call your local D* installer and see when he can get you in.

I ordered Direct TV and had my appt scheduled for tomorrow and received 3 confirmation calls on Tuesday, Wed & Thursday. I felt pretty confident with the follow-up from Direct TV that I cancelled my Uverse and had the equipment pulled. Now less than 24 hrs before install, I received a call saying that my Direct TV appt would have to be rescheduled to due to lack of available equipment. When I spoke to the installer about rescheduling, I was given another date in less than 5 days. However she said she was being honest with me and so wanted to let me know that they had customers that were now on their 3rd & 4th install date and they still didnt have the equipment. I spoke to the Direct TV supervisor who also said they could reschedule, but was not sure if they would have any equipment available.

With no real idea when an install could occur and the aggravation that comes with scheduling an appointment and then having it cancelled at the last minute, I guess I am just going to cancel and ask to see if Uverse can be reinstalled. So for everyone ordering Direct TV with HD boxes, please be aware there is a shortage and be prepared for your install not to occur on your scheduled date. I am very disappointed because I was looking forward to DirectTV.

I can understand your displeasure, but I would take another lesson from your unfortunate situation: don't cancel your current service until your new service is in place.

If you are lucky and the installer shows up as expected, cancel the old service when DIRECTV leaves and you are only paying for two services for one day....

Thanks!

Took advice and found a local who is going to do the install in the morning. So here is my question. Why would the CR rep and supervisor from DirectTV not give me similar advice when I was obviously not happy and cancelled the order and my account? I asked, "Is there not anyone else in the DFW area that could install that might have the equipment?" They said, we are not aware of other installers in your area and even if there were, they would not have the equipment as well.

Just seems like poor communication and service (even though they were very nice about it) and if werent for these forums, I would have walked away from DirectTV with a poor taste in my mouth and most likely never attempted another install.

Thanks again for the help!

Took advice and found a local who is going to do the install in the morning. So here is my question. Why would the CR rep and supervisor from DirectTV not give me similar advice when I was obviously not happy and cancelled the order and my account? I asked, "Is there not anyone else in the DFW area that could install that might have the equipment?" They said, we are not aware of other installers in your area and even if there were, they would not have the equipment as well.

Just seems like poor communication and service (even though they were very nice about it) and if werent for these forums, I would have walked away from DirectTV with a poor taste in my mouth and most likely never attempted another install.

D* does not communicate with the local installers, they just forward install orders afaik. Would make sense for them not to be aware of any inventory at a retailer

In the early days of Directv there was much warm fuzzy talk about how the local retailers were the backbone of the system. These days the retailers are tossed a bone once in a while to keep them around just in case the HSP system or in house operations have a little problem.

The plus of all this is that once your system is running it will be pretty much bullet proof. The picture quality will be the the cross between the onion and the mule.
Most of the time you just get a retarded onion (DISH) but once in a while you get a piece of ass so sweet it will bring tears to your eyes (Directv)

Joe

This is my first post, but I've been reading the forum for about three years. I also took the advice and brought in a local guy who's been in the install business for 35 years (he started out doing roof antennas in the 70s). His install was custom and awesome. I had a nightmare with the regular Directv crew. About a month ago, I ordered Directv, one of their guys comes over, shakes his head and says "no, you won't be able to get it, too many trees." He walked around the property shaking his head and saying no. Then I read the posts in here, looked up local installers, found ARC Satellite Services and got the best service and install I could've asked for. He had no problem finding a signal and, even in rain and clouds today, my signal strength is 95 to 100 on all transponders. I couldn't be happier.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)