Was D* 12 a disappointment?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Part of the problem is that it's not a simple choice to add AMC HD. Rainbow Media probably wants IFC, WE and the Sundance Channel's HD feeds added as well.
I can think of at least two national carriers that offer AMC HD without offering the entire suite. If DIRECTV isn't getting it, the reason is most likely that they don't want it.

amen to that. the show has over 365 million viewers world wide and D* doesn't think it is important. crazy.

I don't usually watch the versions of Top Gear on BBCA and it has nothing to do with the fact that they are SD. On BBCA, they cut about 20 minutes from the episodes. Plus they come on BBCA months or even a year after they air on the BBC. When they air on the BBC in England they are over 60 minutes with no commercials. I download the full version usually the day it airs on the BBC and the file is 720p.

I was expecting a plethora of New HD channels to be added but they still have not caught up with E* on national general Entertainment channels. What is the hold up?

How could you be disappointed in what Directv does? Aren't you a Dish customer?

Whats even more funny, is D* had PBS for about 2 years now in the NY market, about 2 of them in HD.

But who's counting?:D

Apparently Juan.

P.S. you need to fight back Chrysler been pulling the Hemi Badging off of there vehicles. I was just looking at the New 2011 Grand and pop the hood Hemi all over the place but no more exterior badging and the sales guy told me they pulled it off the charger too. It just not fair.

I don't usually watch the versions of Top Gear on BBCA and it has nothing to do with the fact that they are SD. On BBCA, they cut about 20 minutes from the episodes. Plus they come on BBCA months or even a year after they air on the BBC. When they air on the BBC in England they are over 60 minutes with no commercials. I download the full version usually the day it airs on the BBC and the file is 720p.

I do the same I generally do not want to wait for ever for my top gear fix but alot of times when i am flipping though tv trying to find something to watch i land of BBCA for topgear rerun or The F word or Brit Kitchen Nightmares.

raoul5788 said:
How could you be disappointed in what Directv does? Aren't you a Dish customer?

I'm a Dish customer and I'm disappointed with Direct's lack of HD adds. Remember, the two companies compete, so if Direct made a major HD move, Dish would almost certainly have to get off their laurels and at least step up the timetable for their own move. Last time I checked you don't have to be a Direct sub to have an opinion on Direct or a Dish sub to have an opinion on Dish (as exemplified by many of the same people calling out Juan in this thread).

I stay amused how Dish people troll on this site. I guess, since it is a Dish site, one should not be surprised...

I wish Dish would quit losing channels, so it'd pressure Directv to add more, blah blah blah...

I'm a Dish customer and I'm disappointed with Direct's lack of HD adds. Remember, the two companies compete, so if Direct made a major HD move, Dish would almost certainly have to get off their laurels and at least step up the timetable for their own move. Last time I checked you don't have to be a Direct sub to have an opinion on Direct or a Dish sub to have an opinion on Dish (as exemplified by many of the same people calling out Juan in this thread).

your not disapointed with dish dropping channels? hd and sd?
why should direct add more when dish keeps droppin em?

Funny ... I just asked a question... I was just curious.. I did not belittle d*.. With all the advertisements shouting "200 HD channel" capacity I was hoping for a little more action and lot less talk with the succesful launch of D*12..granted there is not a lot of HD content to add out there but I think even if a channel shows mostly "SD" content it would look much better with HD bandwidth.....peace

your not disapointed with dish dropping channels? hd and sd?
why should direct add more when dish keeps droppin em?

Where in my post did I ever say I wasn't disappointed with losing the Disney channels in HD? To be honest, I don't watch them much (if at all) so those drops don't really affect my viewing habits in the least. However, I do feel that it is the wrong way to go and a step backwards. To suggest that my post even implied that I was referring to that is ludicrous.

There is a lot of Dish bashing by direct subs in the Dish forums and what Juan asked was much less inflamatory than that. Since he was called out for it, I was trying to convey how a Dish sub could have a legitimate interest in what Direct is doing. Much like Dodgerking rooting for Dish during the Fox dispute (so that Direct subs will ultimately benefit as well).

As to why Direct should add more national HD: because they're missing National HD channels that other providers offer? because the implication was that they would add more once they increased capacity (although that's probably more fueled by users in this forum than anything Direct actually said)?

I'm not trying to start an argument, or flame anyone. Just stating my opinion. Increased competitive pressure for either company is good for the subs of the other company.

What if they could supplement DirecTV bandwidth with LTE cellular site bandwidth to do a switched digital video IP multicast to bring in video? They could attach an LTE antenna to the back of the dish like in this Verizon/DirecTV Beta test thread shown here: Verizon Wireless 4g beta testing - Verizon Wireless | DSLReports Forums

Then say you request a channel that's not on a bird, the mapping would request it from the LTE tower, and if someone in that cell's radius already has it tuned, you would just be told what IP stream it is and join the multicast, so the tower isn't wasting bandwidth doing IPTV for each individual set top box? Do you think that's theoretically possible and could save the bandwidth problems, so in effect every single HD channel in existence could be offered? And if DirecTV doesn't have a contract, you could just pay the content owner, say Rainbow Media for AMC HD.

Where in my post did I ever say I wasn't disappointed with losing the Disney channels in HD? To be honest, I don't watch them much (if at all) so those drops don't really affect my viewing habits in the least. However, I do feel that it is the wrong way to go and a step backwards. To suggest that my post even implied that I was referring to that is ludicrous.

There is a lot of Dish bashing by direct subs in the Dish forums and what Juan asked was much less inflamatory than that. Since he was called out for it, I was trying to convey how a Dish sub could have a legitimate interest in what Direct is doing. Much like Dodgerking rooting for Dish during the Fox dispute (so that Direct subs will ultimately benefit as well).

As to why Direct should add more national HD: because they're missing National HD channels that other providers offer? because the implication was that they would add more once they increased capacity (although that's probably more fueled by users in this forum than anything Direct actually said)?

I'm not trying to start an argument, or flame anyone. Just stating my opinion. Increased competitive pressure for either company is good for the subs of the other company.

I agree, the only thing that causes them to add more HD channels is the competition.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts