Was the 622 upgrade worthwhile?

dogpoobob

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 10, 2005
Brighton, TN (near Memphis)
Some of you early adopters tell us if it is worth the $99 to upgrade. I haven't seen a lot of WOW posts about content and it seems that the 622 is no more powerful than the 942. What's a guy to do?:confused:

I bought mine, and am extremly happy with it as I gained My HD locals minus CBS... Have never watched ABCHD, now I have the chance at a whole new network of programming... the PQ is much sharper than my 921 and I watched parts of NHRA drag racing off of ESPN2 HD yesterday (watched them in SD over the weekend, was away) well worth the money I spent...

I purchased mine and kept my leased 942. To me it was worth it. We needed another HD DVR and I actually enjoy the additional VOOM HD (World Cinema, GamePlay, Family Room, World Sport) and ESPN2HD has come in handy a time or two. I can do without Treasure and UHD, but hopefully we'll see additional national HD (FoodHD, HGTVHD, MTVHD, WealthTV, Cinemax HD, StarzHD) and more VOOM HD as the year progresses.

HD LIL is available in my area, but to me it is almost useless since I have two OTA antennas. However, it will occasionally come in handy to record two broadcast network events at the same time...if I don't mind a watered down version.

Under no circumstance would I consider the $99 upgrade option and give up my 942 nor commit to 18-months of programming since I'm in a FiOS area. Buying the 622 gives me the option of selling it later or keeping it for DishHD only.

We have HD OTA for all the networks and with just the two of us, we don't need another DVR. I have the VoOM channels that are now available and almost never watch the IMHO lousy programming that is available. Don't subscribe to any of the movie channels (us retired folks can go to the movies anytime we want to - matinees are nice), so it sounds like I'd be upgrading just for ESPN-HD right now. Hardly seems worth the money or the effort.

dogpoobob said:
We have HD OTA for all the networks and with just the two of us, we don't need another DVR. I have the VoOM channels that are now available and almost never watch the IMHO lousy programming that is available. Don't subscribe to any of the movie channels (us retired folks can go to the movies anytime we want to - matinees are nice), so it sounds like I'd be upgrading just for ESPN-HD right now. Hardly seems worth the money or the effort.
Agree! 60% of the stuff we watch is free OTA HD...if it weren't for sports and the Lifetime Channel we would be fine with OTA only.

For me.....

Got a 622, ... this added New York HD Locals (sweet.... well almost, FOX is riddled with sound dropouts right now), Universal HD, 5 new Voom Channels (I really like the idea of the game channel, it's been cool watching live Halo deathmatches, but a LOT of repeats right now), ESPN2HD (will be good once baseball season starts). The New York locals were the kicker for me... no huge OTA antenna needed now on my roof.

The audio droputs are the big issue right now. I'm sure it will get worked out eventually, but I've banned the NY HD Fox channel from my timers for now. There is a 95% occurrence rate (where at least a dozen dropouts occur).

BobMurdoch said:
For me.....

Got a 622, ... this added New York HD Locals (sweet.... well almost, FOX is riddled with sound dropouts right now), Universal HD, 5 new Voom Channels (I really like the idea of the game channel, it's been cool watching live Halo deathmatches, but a LOT of repeats right now), ESPN2HD (will be good once baseball season starts). The New York locals were the kicker for me... no huge OTA antenna needed now on my roof.

The audio droputs are the big issue right now. I'm sure it will get worked out eventually, but I've banned the NY HD Fox channel from my timers for now. There is a 95% occurrence rate (where at least a dozen dropouts occur).

What is the deal on the FOX sound dropouts? I had noticed the dropouts but had not been paying attention to the channels that they were on. So its just FOX? Any response as to when it will be fixed or what is causing it. I still have the Cablevision Scientific Atlanta HD DVR 8300. But I can't stand the remote or the Guide. No problem with drop outs on it.

Lets see.
I woke up a 5 am on Feb 1st to order it (622 lease plus install for $299).

Install got pushed back to 3/11. Guys show up and tell me they can't move my current dish to install the new one for the 61.5 sat because I need a re-install but they would do it the next day (Sunday) for $100. Spend all day waiting a numerous calls and they never show up.

Called Dish and paid the $99 to have the re-install. They showed up on Saturday and said the work order didn't include a 622 and a re install. Called Dish and the next day (Sunday) they showed up a 4:30 PM and worked slowly till 10:00 PM to finish the job.

On Monday I noticed the 622 recycle itself over 8 times. Loss of pic each time was about 5 minutes. Called Dish and after 2 calls they agreed to send out a replacement 622.

Today it has recycled itself 12 times. Try watching a show when that happens.

My wife really questions my wisdom after not having a problem with my owned equipment for almost 10 years.

So far I would have to rate this experience as horrible. Two lost weekends and no show you can watch from beginning to end.

Last edited:
halsan40 said:
Lets see.
I woke up a 5 am on Feb 1st to order it (622 lease plus install for $299).

Install got pushed back to 3/11. Guys show up and tell me they can't move my current dish to install the new one for the 61.5 sat because I need a re-install but they would do it the next day (Sunday) for $100. Spend all day waiting a numerous calls and they never show up.

Called Dish and paid the $99 to have the re-install. They showed up on Saturday and said the work order didn't include a 622 and a re install. Called Dish and the next day (Sunday) they showed up a 4:30 PM and worked slowly till 10:00 PM to finish the job.

On Monday I noticed the 622 recycle itself over 8 times. Loss of pic each time was about 5 minutes. Called Dish and after 2 calls they agreed to send out a replacement 622.

Today it has recycled itself 12 times. Try watching a show when that happens.

My wife really questions my wisdom after not having a problem with my owned equipment for almost 10 years.

So far I would have to rate this experience as horrible. Two lost weekends and no show you can watch from beginning to end.

You paid an extra $100 to install? :confused: I thought the $299 covered everything needed to get you going?

K4LK said:
You paid an extra $100 to install? :confused: I thought the $299 covered everything needed to get you going?

It does..... check your bill, the item for the installation is cancelled out by a credit further down (or should be).... this is the way they did my father's who needed a new switch (which they billed him but then credited further down)....