Was this a legitimate offer?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

peterl1365

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
I got a phone call from last night from someone claiming to represent DirecTV.

The offer was to receive their Premier package and NFL sunday ticket for the next four months for just $10 more than I was currently paying per month. The agent said that there would be no commitment and that I could cancel after 4 months.

The agent correctly knew what my current programming package was (I'm grandfathered with Total Choice Plus) and what I currently paid per month, so I don't think this is a scam.

I asked if I could think about it and get back to her. She said that this offer was not available through regular customer service, but that it WAS available on directv.com. I cannot find it on the website.

I know this sounds a little bit like their new customer offer, but it doesn't make sense for just $10 per month and no commitment. Anyone else take advantage of this?

The agent correctly knew what my current programming package was (I'm grandfathered with Total Choice Plus) and what I currently paid per month, so I don't think this is a scam.

Yep got the same call/offer myself & just like you, am grandfathered w/TC+, as well as lifetime DVR. Since you know that once the promo runs out, you would NOT be able to go back to TC+ & would end up paying about $3 more for the same prog that is now the Choice+ tier.

Because of all this, I politely declined their offer - but I ended up getting another HD DVR upgrade for FREE & also got 3 months free of HBO, MAX, Showtime & HD xtra pak, so I actually ended up getting a better offer for my needs. :) ;)

Offer is/was legit and I bit. Been thinking about upgrading for awhile and that offer made it worth my while.

I'd bet that the "no commitment and that I could cancel after 4 months" was referring to the Platinum/NFL bundle and NOT a 2 year extension. Get it in writing before any decision.
I thought the 2 year extension on commitment was when you upgrade hardware, not a channel package?

Yep got the same call/offer myself & just like you, am grandfathered w/TC+, as well as lifetime DVR. Since you know that once the promo runs out, you would NOT be able to go back to TC+ & would end up paying about $3 more for the same prog that is now the Choice+ tier.

Because of all this, I politely declined their offer - but I ended up getting another HD DVR upgrade for FREE & also got 3 months free of HBO, MAX, Showtime & HD xtra pak, so I actually ended up getting a better offer for my needs. :) ;)
You realize you may have extended your 2 year commitment with the HD DVR? Or, is that not the case?

You realize you may have extended your 2 year commitment with the HD DVR? Or, is that not the case?

Normally yes, I would have realized it - but NOT in this case. This AIN'T my first rodeo with this stuff. ;)
The HD upgrade letter (& CSR) said NO STRINGS & NO COMMITMENTS - & I've taken very good notes if this proves otherwise. But frankly, I doubt I'm going anywhere else anyway, particularly with lifetime DVR service, among other things... ;) :)

Normally yes, I would have realized it - but NOT in this case. This AIN'T my first rodeo with this stuff. ;)
The HD upgrade letter (& CSR) said NO STRINGS & NO COMMITMENTS - & I've taken very good notes if this proves otherwise. But frankly, I doubt I'm going anywhere else anyway, particularly with lifetime DVR service, among other things... ;) :)
Yep, me too. Probably not going anywhere either, although I just started with D last month. My last straw with Time Warner cable was when they added USA HD one week, and then removed it the next. Now I have 30 more HD channels than Time Warner and pay right around the same price. And now my HD DVR (HR22) records twice as much as my Time Warner Motorola.:D

I have not heard about DTV making this offer available to current subscribers. It appears though that because of your out of date plan they are treating you like a new customer and extending the summer offer to you in order to get you to sign up for a new plan.

If you are not crazy about the NFL package, you can push next time they call for the winter offer which is 3 months of HBO, showtime and starz; HD DVR (with mail in rebate), $18 off per month for up to 12 months, and they just released 4 months free HD service.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)