Was this explained to me wrong DVR Dual Tuner

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Toyzruskid1976

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
Dayton, OH
If I'm in the living room watching program ABC and the timer goes off and starts recording DEF whomever is connected to the 2nd TV is forced to watch DEF.

Is this correct?

It was explained to me that Room one could have ABC on, Room two could have DEF on, and the recorder could be recording GHI.

I'm finding that the above is not the case.

If so....

Is there a way to flip everyting so that the program that's recording on DEF in room TWO is moved to the TV in Room ONE and Room TWO is able to channel surf? (IE no longer locked down to having to watch what's recording)

Really starting to think I made a BAD move by not getting 2 boxes. I did a chat yesterday and was told I would need to puchase a 2nd box because they only did one lease per account... (which is odd because a co worker just signed up and he got an HD-DVR and an HD box and both were included... only has to pay the 7 dollar fee)

It was explained to me that Room one could have ABC on, Room two could have DEF on, and the recorder could be recording GHI.

That's false, unless you have an OTA tuner. The receiver only has two satellite tuners, so you can't be watching two things live and recording a third. You can, however, be recording up to two things and watching up to two different things that you've already recorded.

As for the question of can you switch which TV is watching which tuner if you're only recording one thing, I'm not sure. I only run my receiver in single mode, not dual mode. There's a "swap" button on the remote that switches which tuner you're watching, but I have no idea if it works in dual mode.

Put the box in single mode, press SWAP, then put the box back in dual mode. Your recording session should follow from "TV2" to "TV1"

If I'm in the living room watching program ABC and the timer goes off and starts recording DEF whomever is connected to the 2nd TV is forced to watch DEF.

Is this correct?

I'm finding that the above is not the case.

If so....

Is there a way to flip everyting so that the program that's recording on DEF in room TWO is moved to the TV in Room ONE and Room TWO is able to channel surf? (IE no longer locked down to having to watch what's recording)

Really starting to think I made a BAD move by not getting 2 boxes. I did a chat yesterday and was told I would need to puchase a 2nd box because they only did one lease per account... (which is odd because a co worker just signed up and he got an HD-DVR and an HD box and both were included... only has to pay the 7 dollar fee)

You can lease up to 4 tuners without having to get an override for more. The fee is $7 for an HD receiver and $12 ($7 lease and $5 DVR fees) for an HD DVR receiver. A Vip 612 HD DVR counts as 1 tuner although it has two sat tuners. All other ViP HD DVRs count as 2 tuners. The ViP 211 receiver can be turned into a DVR by hooking up an external HDD and paying a one-time $40 fee. Since it is a receiver and not a DVR, you pay the $7 lease fee.

What receiver do you have? If it's a 722 or similar, then you can do what Jim S. said, PLUS record/watch off of your OTA tuner. So it basically depends on your setup and it you are trying to have one of the 3 live tuners be the OTA tuner.

You can't record using 2 satellite tuners (channels) and watch 1 or 2 other satellite tuners (channels) live all at the same time. That would require more tuners than you have.

If you have the need to use 3 satellite tuners at the same time, then you need another receiver. I get around this by using my OTA tuner, or just watching a recorded show. I've only had one time since I got my receiver that I ran out of tuners to watch what I wanted.

You can go into the menu, select preferences, then select record plus. You can now tell it what tuner you want it to record on.

I'm considering swithing to *E and these Duo receivers are blowing my mind. Let's say I have a 722, an HDTV downstairs and a SDTV upstairs. Let's also say I'm downstairs recording 'Seinfeld' and watching 'Monday Night Football'. Now, one of my daughters goes upstairs to watch the Disney Channel. What's going to happen when turns on the TV and attempts to change channels? From what I've read, the 722 only has two tuners so it wouldn't be possible to watch two different channels and record a third at the same time.

Sorry if this is a silly question, just trying to understand. Also, what kind of remote control is included with the 722? Can I use it upstairs even though the receiver is downstairs (no line-of-sight)?

Two remotes are included, one IR and the other UHF. No line of sight is needed for UHF. The 722 has 3 tuners, 2 satellite tuners and 1 OTA tuner. (the 722K is nearly identical to the 722 except for having 2 OTA tuners along with the 2 sat tuners). If you're recording Seinfeld on a satellite channel and watching MNF on an OTA channel, the daughter will be able to watch Disney on a second satellite channel if the receiver is in dual mode.

Two remotes are included, one IR and the other UHF. No line of sight is needed for UHF. The 722 has 3 tuners, 2 satellite tuners and 1 OTA tuner. (the 722K is nearly identical to the 722 except for having 2 OTA tuners along with the 2 sat tuners). If you're recording Seinfeld on a satellite channel and watching MNF on an OTA channel, the daughter will be able to watch Disney on a second satellite channel if the receiver is in dual mode.

Suppose I don't have an OTA antenna. What's going to happen when she tries to change channels? Will she get a warning saying that both sat tuners are busy or will it interrupt my viewing and/or recording?

Last edited:
If you have something recording on tv2 then she will have to watch it. If she tries changing channel it will tell her that something is being recorded. She has the ability to stop the recording and change the channel if she wants. It's an amazing piece of equipment, but it does have it's limitations.

If you have something recording on tv2 then she will have to watch it. If she tries changing channel it will tell her that something is being recorded. She has the ability to stop the recording and change the channel if she wants. It's an amazing piece of equipment, but it does have it's limitations.

Exactly what I needed to know, thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)