Washington State

cebbigh

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2005
Frostbite Falls
When Verizon connected Fios (internet and phone only at present) to my house a few weeks ago, the installer seemed certain that Fios TV would be available here in August. That seemed impossibly optimistic. I can't find anything online that gives any hint on when the TV service will become a reality here. Is there anyplace I can go to find out? Verizon seems very tight lipped on these plans.

Verizon is tight-lipped because they don't want their competition to know their plans. It is doubtful you will find anything concrete about TV services. Mostly, it will be rumors. When it gets closer to launch then there might be more information out there. Until then, it will most likely be rumors.

One thing you can do is find out if your local government television authority and Verizon has come to terms on providing TV service to your area. If they have not done so, it may be a long wait.

Hello!

There are several cities that are close to agreements. I live in Kenmore and have spoken with the franchising person here. She said Kenmore had joined forces with Bothell, Woodinville, M.T., Lynnwood, Edmonds Everett to do the negotiations. They all hired an outside firm for it. She said it looks like there may be an agreement in place for the Aug. launch! Redmond and Kirkland are going at it alone. Maybe Seattle can persuade them to enter there as I'm looking to move into the city closer to work!

Fingers crossed this happens, getting tired of Comcast's all talk and slow action. They only act when some other company steps on their toes and they absolutly have too. No umph of their own!:(

Hope this helps!

Eric

Just got my announcement for Fios TV

Morning!

Just checked my email and had an announcement from Verizon that Fios TV was coming. Didn't say exactly when it was coming, but said be the first to sign up for service. So everyone telling me it's coming in Aug. looks to be right! :D

Now maybe Comsucks will finally stop dragging their feet and start doing something!:(

This is an FYI to those who want the service!!!:hungry:

Thxs!

Eric

Morning!

Just checked my email and had an announcement from Verizon that Fios TV was coming. Didn't say exactly when it was coming, but said be the first to sign up for service. So everyone telling me it's coming in Aug. looks to be right! :D

Now maybe Comsucks will finally stop dragging their feet and start doing something!:(

This is an FYI to those who want the service!!!:hungry:

Thxs!

Eric

Good news. I'll be looking for that. Just had my connection speeded up from 5/2 to 20/5 ($10.00 more per month). I'm really enjoying fios.

Lynnwood first to approve Franchise!!!

Morning!

Don't know if any of you read or heard this yet, but Lynnwood is the first city to award Verizon a video Franchise. I live in Kenmore, and from what I'm hearing they are set to vote on their agreement. They're gonna try and vote on it before their Aug. break, but if not, won't vote until Sept. meetings!:D:( I'm hearing Verizon is still pushing for an Aug. launch, and from the looks it's gonna happen now with their first city in line now!:D

Bring it on VERIZON!!!!!!!:hungry:

Eric

HD Questions!

Morning!

Was wondering, with Fios getting ready to launch in the next 2 to 4 weeks, what HD channels we'll be getting. I'm wondering this because since they are eliminating all the analog channels everywhere, will we even start out with any analogs? What I hope is they will do it right and not launch any analogs and go completely digital from the start and give us the HD's from the start.:clap So here's to hoping that this is the route they take!:rolleyes:

On a side note, Everett has given Verizon a franchise agreement. Kenmore (my city) looks set to vote Monday evening (I hope YES) on their agreement. :hungry:

What does anyone else think on this?

Thxs!

Eric

Morning!

Was wondering, with Fios getting ready to launch in the next 2 to 4 weeks, what HD channels we'll be getting. I'm wondering this because since they are eliminating all the analog channels everywhere, will we even start out with any analogs? What I hope is they will do it right and not launch any analogs and go completely digital from the start and give us the HD's from the start.:clap So here's to hoping that this is the route they take!:rolleyes:

On a side note, Everett has given Verizon a franchise agreement. Kenmore (my city) looks set to vote Monday evening (I hope YES) on their agreement. :hungry:

What does anyone else think on this?

Thxs!

Eric

If you're a brand-new market, no you won't get any analogs. I'm guessing that you'll get all the HD channels that Verizon is adding currently to their existing markets, and you'll likely get a channel line-up that's in line with the markets that have already been converted. Not sure how many HD channels you'll get right off the bat - I'll bet it's at least 50, though. There's much speculation about what's happening.

NYC recently granted Verizon a video franchise too, and Verizon wants to start there with a bang. As a result, NY and Northern NJ will get 100+ HD channels starting next week. So, right now the older markets (including mine) have ~30 HD channels. Markets that have been upgraded (to date Ft. Wayne, IN, Portland, OR, and NY) got an additional 18 HD channels and a couple new SD channels.

Next week Northern NJ gets updated too, again with those 18 new HD channels. Then late next week/early the following week, Verizon is going to up the ante and give NY and NJ a total of 100+ HD channels (so they'll be adding 50+ HD channels to those markets).

The other markets will follow suit shortly after that - from what I understand that means that all will have ~100 HD channels by October.

One thing that's great - these are honest to goodness HD channels. I've seen the list published (someone carried the list of new channels to a thread on this forum). Other carriers get really creative in determining what counts as a channel. For example, DirecTV likes to tout it's 95 national HD channels. But a quick look at their list turns up some interesting results:

1) They count national network feeds (abc, cbs, nbc, fox) - both east and west feeds - this despite the fact that very few customers can even qualify for these feeds.

2) They count EVERY HD RSN in their line-up (even though no one can get all of them since they're regional).

3) They count 15 HD PPV feeds.

When all is said and done, Verizon will have ~100 HD channels per market, which are made up of: local HD, national cable HD, premium HD, and RSN HD for each market.

Thanks!

Morning!

Thanks for the info. I saw the lineup that NYC was getting. Fingers crossed that's what we're getting here too being a totally new launch region. Tonight my city council is set to vote on their agreement.

Again, thanks for the info and I'll watching for our lineup real soon!:)

Eric

I really like my DTV service but the current listings for NY/NJ for Fios look very tempting. If I could save money by bundling I'd be interested. The biggest catch is the limited storage on the Fios DVR. If the Fios box eventually allows for additional hard drive storage, as is rumored, I'll probably jump over. It really is great to have choices.

Projected Launch!

Morning!

Was at the Lynnwood Best Buy last night and there were Fios representatives there getting people to sign up for Internet and TV service. I asked them when the TV service was going to launch. They told me it's looking like Aug. 29 is the projected launch date now. Also asked if our lineup launch for HD's would be like NY's since we don't to worry about dumping any analogs. She didn't know for sure but did say they were using the Portland, OR lineup for the sample and said we'd probably be starting out with at least 60, with 150 to 200 by years end. That's the first I've heard the 200 number thrown out there.:rolleyes: BRING IT ON VERIZON!!!!!:D

Anyway, thought I'd share this with anyone that's interest. Just about 3 more weeks and I can get rid of Comsucks totally!!!!:cool:

Thxs!

Eric

Flip the SWITCH!

Morning!

With only 4 areas major areas left to give Verizon the green light ( Redmond, Kirkland, King county, and Snohomish county). When is Verizon finally going to flip the switch on for us? I'm hearing 2 different times. One was Aug. 29th and the other is Sept. 24th.:confused: I really hope it's the Aug. 24th time as it will be easier to make the switch to them because my DVR will be empty with most of my shows still in rerun mode!:)

Anyway, has anyone else heard anything as to when the switch is going to be turned ON???? Would be great to hear if someone know anything more definitive.:p

Thxs!

Eric

Had a billing issue and called Verizon yesterday and wound up speaking with someone (very helpful) in the Everett office. He said the date of the rollout here will be in 3 days. It also sounds like there will be about 60 HD channels at launch time. If it doesn't work out that way I won't hold it against him because he went out of the way to help with the billing issue. But it is getting close.

http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-releases/verizon/2008/snohomish-county-wash.html

Hooked up on Sept 1st!!!!

Morning!

Got my call yesterday to schedule a hook up date. I'm scheduled for Sept 1st!:hungry:
Can't wait to see it in action! Was told by the rep. that called, we should be able to go and see it at any of the Verizon Plus stores. Closest one to me is across from Alderwood Mall. Going today to take a look at it!:D

Called Comsucks couple days ago and asked what they were going to be doing to compete with Verizon. The rep. had no clues. To top it off the rep thought I was talking about Verizon with DirectTV. Then he looked again and saw it. Main thing was he said he wasn't able to offer any info of what was to come and do anything to keep me from making the switch!

It'll be nice to have the NFL Net HD back without having to pay extra!:p

Anyway, wanted to pass on the info that they're starting to hook people up!:)

Thxs!

Eric

Great news. I'll go take a look at it too. The only real catch for me is the size of the dvr storage. But if the savings are good enough and the PQ is good enough I'll probably take the jump.

HD Channel lineup!

Just checked the channel lineup. Looks like our line will have 100 HD channels including all the locals! Looking great for tomorrows launch!:D Lots of Premium channels too! Had to type my Zip several times to bring it up but finally it came up! They changed it from yesterday, only had about 45 or so! Can't wait for my Monday install!!!!:rolleyes:

Thxs!

Eric

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)