Watch 722 DVR on a Distant TV?

AJF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
My daughter is going away to college and I'd like to know if there's a way for her to watch her recordings on her TV at school. I have a Sling adapter, and I know she can watch that from a computer/tablet/cell phone, but is there any way to watch directly on a TV ?

If she can watch on a computer, she could hook the computer up to a TV. Many computers have HDMI ports these days, but if it doesn't your TV may have a VGA port.

Might be a pain changing channels and what not (I'm not sure how the sling interface works, I assume it basically gives you a remote on the computer and you have to use that), but once she got the channel or recording going it wouldn't be too bad.

Which tablet? I have a Skypad Alpha 2 which has a mini-HDMI port. An adapter cable is all it takes to mirror the little screen on the big one. (I control the TV display via the tablet.)

My wife just has a cheap Android tablet with a micro hdmi output that she hooks up to a TV. Works great. On the dishanywhere app you can use a duplicate of your Dish remote to control channel changes,etc. She watches the Tiger ball games at work.

Ed

Which tablet? I have a Skypad Alpha 2 which has a mini-HDMI port. An adapter cable is all it takes to mirror the little screen on the big one. (I control the TV display via the tablet.)

There's a difference between a "mini-HDMI" and a "micro-HDMI" port and/or cable. Most tablets are the "micro" variety for their port. If anybody is to buy a special HDMI cable for this purpose, they need to confirm for sure what type they need. I just ordered a micro-HDMI cable from Amazon for my Acer A100 tablet.

Nothing worse than taking time to order one, and when it finally arrives it turns out to be the wrong one!

If it's an iPad, there are adaptors from Apple to convert the signal to VGA or HDMI.

The iPad suppresses the HDMI output for Dish Anywhere programs. I know. I have one and bought the adapter and it doesn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

There's a difference between a "mini-HDMI" and a "micro-HDMI" port and/or cable. Most tablets are the "micro" variety for their port. If anybody is to buy a special HDMI cable for this purpose, they need to confirm for sure what type they need. I just ordered a micro-HDMI cable from Amazon for my Acer A100 tablet.

Nothing worse than taking time to order one, and when it finally arrives it turns out to be the wrong one!

I found this out the hard way. I bought a micro-HDMI adapter cable and guess what? My Skypad uses the mini-HDMI jack. :(

The iPad suppresses the HDMI output for Dish Anywhere programs. I know. I have one and bought the adapter and it doesn't work.

I didn't know that about the HDMI adaptor, I use the VGA. It didn't work the first time I tried it, but it did work eventually. I will have to recheck since I haven't have the iPad connected for a couple of months.

Thanks for that because I was just about to order an adapter! Are you guys saying that an Android tablet will work though? She also has a Mac laptop, does anyone know fro sure if that will work vid HDMI to the TV?

Which iPad do you have.... or more specifically, 30pin or lightning?
The Apple $49.00 lightning adapter reportedly works with Dishanywhere....this from product reviews:

I have an Iphone 5, Dish Network, and a Sling Adapter attached to the Dish DVR. Using the IPhone 5 Dish app I can watch any show that's live on my Dish Satellite or watch any saved movie! When I travel I can plug my iphone into any TV using this Lightning to HDMI cable and watch all of my shows! I also like watching Vevo from my IPhone on a TV since YouTube blocks the Vevo content on Blu Ray Players and 99% of TV's. The TV resolution for the HDMI output on the IPhone 5 is awesome! I did notice that some content does not display in 100% fullscreen. The Dish app displays the content in 98% screen with no distortion. I have a Panasonic plasma TV and it has not caused any black bar burn in.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD826ZM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

I think hers is an iPad2, it definitely has a 30pin connector.
It may actually be easiest and cheapest to just buy her an inexpensive Android tablet dedicated just to the TV.

In general I wish they made it easier to stream the programming we pay for to a TV. I do understand their reluctance to a remote TV, but even within my home network, I have yet to find a way to stream the stuff they have on DishAnywhere from my desktop to my main TV. Everything I have tried (mirroring to ATV, Chromecast etc.) has audio out of sync, and/or judder etc.

Thanks guys.

You should check it out at home before she leaves. Give yourself enough time beforehand just so you are not stuck paying more for something due to not having enough shopping time to find a good deal. By the way, I should have noted I have an iPad mini which uses the lightning adaptor so that may be why mine works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts