Watch HD while recording HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

EatMyVolts

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 19, 2007
pdx
I'm getting ready to switch to HD. I've searched a number of sources so I hope this is not too simple a question. Using one Dish receiver is there a way to watch one program live in HD while recording another program in HD? OTA is not an option.

Thanx

Get a dual satellite tuner HD DVR. Fortunately Dish has the ViP622 and ViP722, which fill the bill and also include an OTA tuner. Dish does not have currently have a single tuner HD DVR. No reason for it, IMHO- once you get a dual tuner, I can't see any reason to have a single tuner, you wouldn't save much. And- Welcome!

Thanka, I was under the impresion that the second tuner on the 622/722 was SD only.

EatMyVolts-

Don't confuse tuners with TV outputs. The 622 and 722 have 3 tuners. One OTA, and 2 satellite. Both satellite tuners can do HD. It's the TV OUTPUTS that have one HD and one SD. TV1 has HD out and TV2 is SD out.

I always run my receiver in single mode so TV2 never really comes into play.

If you hook up an antenna and get OTA, you can actually record from the OTA tuner, and from BOTH satellite tuners all at the same time while watching something you recorded previously.

Got it. :up I was confusing tuners with outputs. Thanks.

EatMyVolts-
The 622 and 722 have 3 tuners. One OTA, and 2 satellite. Both satellite tuners can do HD. It's the TV OUTPUTS that have one HD and one SD. TV1 has HD out and TV2 is SD out.

I spoke on 8/20/07 to 3rd level tech support at Dish and was told that the vip722 has one HD and one SD tuner. She said you could record 2 HD programs simultaneously, but the 2nd would be downgraded to SD.

Who's right?
Why there is no description in this respect on dishnetwork.com?

I spoke on 8/20/07 to 3rd level tech support at Dish and was told that the vip722 has one HD and one SD tuner. She said you could record 2 HD programs simultaneously, but the 2nd would be downgraded to SD.

Who's right?
Not her!!! She is once again confusing outputs with tuners. Any HD viewed on the TV2 output will be SD even though recorded as HD.

You're getting the correct information HERE. You can record THREE HD programs simultaneously (if you have an antenna connected and can receive HD locals over the air).

The TUNERS can all record HD. The OUTPUTS can not all output HD.

Just thinking about this.... it may be confusing to users when they look at what's being recorded. When you record 2 shows at the same time from satellite, does the little icon say "tv1" and "tv2"? Or does it just say "1" and "2"? I can't remember and I'm at work right now so I can't look.

Who's right?

Andy,

All 3 tuners are HD tuners, 2 Satellite and one OTA. What you will NOT get is HD on the outputs for the TV#2 outputs. Any HD content playbacked to the TV#2 output will be down converted to SD.

John

Just remember that Dish recorders have NO ENCODING capability (no ADC, records transport stream, avoids TiVo patents?) and thus if HD is received, HD is recorded including OTA ATSC. OTA NTSC cannot be recorded because it is not a TS and would require an ADC.

Output 1 has HDMI, component, S-video, composite, and RF all the time. Output 2 has composite and RF all the time. (Sure would like S-video on out 2 for DVD recording.) The RF signals are different channels above some number on the same cable.

-Ken

Who's right?

The folks who answered your query above are right.

I'd only like to add an introduction to what we call "CSR roulette." When one sounds really off base, hang up and call again. You'll likely get another answer. You may get three conflicting answers from two CSRs. :rolleyes: These CSRs don't seem to be paid much or trained particularly well. Many are not subscribers and have no first hand knowledge about the equipment they are talking about, especially (obviously) the ones talking to you from India. Your best answers will likely come from Tech Support.

Actually, the very best info will be found here. We're serious about this hobby. The CSRs are doing their job. And it's a job, not a career.

The folks who answered your query above are right.

I'd only like to add an introduction to what we call "CSR roulette." When one sounds really off base, hang up and call again. You'll likely get another answer. You may get three conflicting answers from two CSRs. :rolleyes: These CSRs don't seem to be paid much or trained particularly well. Many are not subscribers and have no first hand knowledge about the equipment they are talking about, especially (obviously) the ones talking to you from India. Your best answers will likely come from Tech Support.

Actually, the very best info will be found here. We're serious about this hobby. The CSRs are doing their job. And it's a job, not a career.

Wow. You should talk to the csrs at Charter. The ones at Dish are a whole lot better and they don't even hang up on you after you have been holding on for an hour!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)