Watched first movie on BR...

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
A friend of mine has a PS3 with BR and I've got to watch the latest Mel Gibson movie on BR (about 30 minutes of the beginning). He has the Sony Wega 46" and I can tell you right now that the PQ compare to channels on Dish, DirecTv (when I used to have it) and CV is not even a race. BR wins and it is like night and day. On BR you can feel the WoW effect and like you are inmerse in the picture. This is an experience that we were feeling before on these companies channel but not anymore. Now they look like dull channels compare to BR. I still have little problems with the BR picture. The picture looke a little grainy. This I did not expect from a new movie. I have yet to watch HD DVD but I assume it will give me the same experience.

Yeah the grainy look comes from people having their "Sharpnesses" up too high. Since Blu-ray has a higher resolution there isn't a need to have the sharpness up like the older traditional sets. If your friend turn the sharpness down, you will see how beautiful and smooth the picture really is! Im amazed that Sony and other have not informed people of this!

That is what I thought but did not want to let him know since I noticed that the picture was too sharp on his tv --- even channels. But the picture looked fantastic and I do not see any company approaching this type of quality in their channels.

My only complaint about my PS3 BD experience (a very minor one) is the picture was very bright on both my Sony GWIV and Mits Diamond DLP. Tweaking the HDMI input for various modes (lightining conditions) was much more tricky than with the Dish HD DVR and Sony ATSC/QAM HD DVR.

Same as it has always been.

Optical disc has always been the best video quality. DVD has always been better than SD on cable or satellite. A disc can store a higher bandwidth than you can realistically provide any other way.

Most of TV is more disposable. It's good to have better quality, but it is also good to have more stuff to watch. I'm currently watching NY Red Bulls vs Houston Dynamo on ESPN2-HD, it's "only" 720p, but it is far better than any SD soccer match.

But I'm not going to watch the game again.

On the other hand, a classic movie is worth renting - or even buying - on HD disc to get the best possible quality. A disc can provide better quality than even the maximum OTA bandwidth, so it seems the way to go for films.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)